Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2012-06-12 13:37:09

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: r3798, r3809, r3817: Don't Panic

@phiw13

Looks like the status thead has a class of discuss_detail on it, which it shouldn’t have.

I’ve also noticed that the message you get if ‘no comments are available except spam’ has a colspan="9" when it should be colspan="10"

Stef, can you fix that. Cheers.

#62 2012-06-12 13:39:08

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

• Removal of direct View and Download links:
    • Articles panel you can still view an article by clicking the Live/Sticky status. In addition, the Hidden, Draft, etc statuses have been upgraded so you can click on those to Preview the article.
    • Images panel a [View] link has been added after the name as a temporary stop-gap. Both Phil and I agree this is pretty crap but we don’t have any great ideas about where to put it, if indeed the functionality needs to be there at all. It just opens the raw image out of the admin side and the only use for that I can come up with is being able to right-click it and save the image, which obviates the need to go grab it from your FTP client or having to visit the Edit step first. If we can live without a [View] here, let it be known. Other thoughts on this topic welcome.
    • Files panel you can now download a file by clicking its download count value instead (it’s always annoyed me that it increases the download counter when you do this from the admin side, btw and I deem this a bug, but that’s a separate discussion)

Hmm. I don’t think it is needed for the Images panel; you can do the same thing from the edit pane (in most browser you can always right-click an image and ‘save as…’). And there is any way a click to new ‘view’ (be it just seeing the raw image, or seeing the edit pane) followed by back button action to go back to the list. For the Articles panel, and the Files panel, the link is not very intuitive. There I would rather have a [view]/[download] link, clearly labeled (after the name/title, I think).

BTW – would it be a good idea to have a ‘details’ toggle on the Files pane? It could hide e.g. the ‘category’, ‘status’ and ‘condition’ columns.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#63 2012-06-12 13:57:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote:

On Presentation > Forms, why is there an empty p with (empty) span immediately after the textarea ?

Hmmm, I don’t see that on mine. I have three p tags containing stuff like the name, type and save button (though preview isn’t in a paragraph tag).

Mr Wareham’s right about the Comments panel. Like a spoon, I took the detail off the status column but not the table heading. Fixed. Also the just_spam_results colspan is now 10. Will commit soon.

I can certainly remove the [View] link from the Images panel if the consensus is that it’s a useless feature.

Intuitiveness of clicking the article status to view the article? Yeah, it’s not great. Until I looked closely at it I didn’t even notice you could click it beforehand! It just seemed a waste to only permit viewing of Live and Sticky articles.

Can you think of any nice way to present the View facility instead of an ugly text link and hard-coded square brackets? Similarly for Download. I guess whatever is chosen could go after the download count. Clicking a single number to download could be a small target.

Will see what I can do about the details toggle on Files.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-06-12 13:57:54)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#64 2012-06-12 14:03:59

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

I wonder whether we’d need a max-width on the Override form dropdown or rely on people to choose short enough form names:

#65 2012-06-12 14:24:00

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@wet

Add that as an issue on my Textpattern fork and I’ll see what I can do about it.

#66 2012-06-12 14:27:01

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote:

Hmmm, I don’t see that on mine. I have three p tags containing stuff like the name, type and save button (though preview isn’t in a paragraph tag).

Hmm, right, turns out I had a malformed comment in the file on my side. Sorry for the noise

Something else: On the edit comment panel, the textarea now has an ID of ‘message’. That gives funny result with Sandspaces atm, as the very same ID is used for the span inside the #messagepane.

I’ll think about the [view]/[download] later; need to catch some zzzzzs.

#67 2012-06-12 14:35:41

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

phiw13 wrote:

Something else: On the edit comment panel, the textarea now has an ID of ‘message’. That gives funny result with Sandspaces atm, as the very same ID is used for the span inside the #messagepane.

Ah, we added that id so the comment edit textarea could be targeted with CSS, I’ll see about changing it to something else.

#68 2012-06-12 17:01:55

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

First thought when checking r3809; oh god I hate those titles. Waste of space and don’t fit the page flow at all.

#69 2012-06-12 19:17:26

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@gocom

It’s already been made pretty clear that those titles are a ‘try it and see’, if I can’t get them to sit well with the page flow they’ll be removed again. And even if they stay, I’ll provide a way of hiding them with some global CSS – like we have done for the branding in Hive theme.

With the admin area becoming more consistent, it may be harder for some users (I.e. a client that I hand a finished site over to) where exactly they are in the admin area with some obvious textual guidance. That is the reasoning behind it.

#70 2012-06-12 19:51:49

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

It’s already been made pretty clear that those titles are a ‘try it and see’, if I can’t get them to sit well with the page flow they’ll be removed again.

Yep, it was. Just saying my (harsh) opinion on the headings without wrapping it to cotton candy and false hopes.

And even if they stay, I’ll provide a way of hiding them with some global CSS – like we have done for the branding in Hive theme.

That’s cool.

#71 2012-06-13 00:48:57

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote:

It’s already been made pretty clear that those titles are a ‘try it and see’, if I can’t get them to sit well with the page flow they’ll be removed again.

Please don’t remove them. Hide them if they annoy you, but there are some good reasons to have them. You (and bloke) already provided one – where am I? Here is another one: users of assistive technology (screenreaders and the like). Some of those provide an outline structure of the document and ways to quickly access part of the document based on headlines.

Here is a related thought: it would nice to have a wrapper element around the actual content that has an common ID for all panels of the admin. Hmm, we have the new <div class=txp-body>. This could be tagged with that ID. The navigation could then have an additional item – ‘go to content’ (or a better string) – with that id as fragment identifier. We’d need that string for translators here, too.

Ah, we added that id so the comment edit textarea could be targeted with CSS, I’ll see about changing it to something else.

Thanks for r3811.

#72 2012-06-13 05:50:41

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@phiw13

That ‘go to content’ and corresponding id anchor sounds good to me, I’ll add it to the list of things to do.

Board footer