Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2012-06-08 09:51:47

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: r3798, r3809, r3817: Don't Panic

Hi all, here is option 3 as detailed by Philippe and Ruud

I think this one has the potential to work the best. I’m not sure whether the search box and multipage stuff has any benefit being on there but I’ve left it in for the moment (how many sections realistically could a site have?).

Let me know your thoughts.

The “more details” checkbox could toggle displaying the extra columns (Syndicate, On front page, etc) in a similar fashion to the way it works on other pages.

Last edited by philwareham (2012-06-08 09:55:40)

#26 2012-06-08 10:17:32

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Will there also be other options for the “with selected” pulldown or will it be just the “delete” one?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#27 2012-06-08 10:29:52

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote:

Will there also be other options for the “with selected” pulldown or will it be just the “delete” one?

What do you suggest?

#28 2012-06-08 12:28:31

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote:

Hi all, here is option 3 as detailed by Philippe and Ruud

Yay! this one has my vote.

I’m not sure if the ‘add new section’ as you made it is needed; what I had in mind is a simple form, similar to what exist now (and similar to the upload file on the Content > File pane). The user could then click the edit button to fill in the details. But this is more of a perf question than a UI one. Similarly for the paging question. My test site on localhost has 15 sections, mostly created for testing purposes; for real world sites, so far, 9 is the most I’ve created.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#29 2012-06-08 12:58:04

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

OK, another mockup based on latest comments. Edit form would be a separate page like it already is on images/files/categories pages. So option is really whether it’s this mockup or the previous one which I give Stef the enviable job of making happen.

FYI after v4.5 (so v4.6 or v5 whichever is next) the edit panes will ideally be moved to AJAX modals instead of new pages (and the links/users pages brought into line with the rest of the UI). That modal technique will also hopefully be utilised to directly insert images into articles as you write them too.

Last edited by philwareham (2012-06-08 13:00:45)

#30 2012-06-08 13:17:49

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

philwareham wrote:

What do you suggest?

Although I have no idea re the difficulties, it would be cool if everything could be included

• Uses page
  • Uses style
  • On front page
  • Syndicate
  • Include in site search
  • Delete

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#31 2012-06-08 13:33:56

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

OK, another mockup based on latest comments. Edit form would be a separate page like it already is on images/files/categories pages. So option is really whether it’s this mockup or the previous one which I give Stef the enviable job of making happen.

That’s way, way, way better. Those editing forms on Links and Users pane look awful and so freaking confusing. In my opinion it’s either that (maybe even more simplified form) or the side panel layout. Editing form on top of the table — kill it with fire. Quick, before it spreads.

#32 2012-06-08 14:12:20

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@colak

I’ve added that to the mockup now, whether Stef implements it or not is another question though.

#33 2012-06-08 14:19:34

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@Gocom

I’ll make note of your comments (and I agree) about the edit forms on links and users page. I’ll see if Stef wants to do something about putting those on separate pages as part of phase 2 of the admin improvements, making them consistent with every other page.

I’m hoping that it will be relatively straightforward after that to turn those edit forms into AJAX modals (and possibly make the pophelps modals too for that matter) – it would be brilliant to get modals into 4.5 but I think it’s going to be too much work given the timeframe and other changes already planned.

Last edited by philwareham (2012-06-08 14:20:14)

#34 2012-06-08 14:29:21

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote:

OK, another mockup based on latest comments. Edit form would be a separate page like it already is on images/files/categories pages.

me likes :-) simplicity rules.

(Especially if those edit forms become ajaxy overlays or similar, this workflow becomes much more functional)

I’m hoping that it will be relatively straightforward after that to turn those edit forms into AJAX modals (and possibly make the pophelps modals too for that matter)

Oh yes, those help and tag builder pop ups as overlays… Would make working on a handheld devices / tablet easier. I fully agree with Gocom about the users and links panes, btw.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#35 2012-06-08 14:40:13

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Great! I’ll let Stef know what he needs to aim for (the last mockup).

I already have a demo of Textpattern modals that works well across desktop, tablet and smartphone. The major stumbling block was off-site content (i.e. pophelps) since they could not be brought in via AJAX due to cross-domain security, and iframes are effectively broken in iOS (I dislike iframes anyway). I think Jukka has a solution to that problem (using JSON?).

Anyway, I’ll try to get Stef to liaise directly with you on that as I’m not a programmer myself. It may all be horrendously complicated to achieve – I’m sure he’d be open to some extra help in that regard.

#36 2012-06-08 16:30:22

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote:

The major stumbling block was off-site content (i.e. pophelps) since they could not be brought in via AJAX due to cross-domain security, and iframes are effectively broken in iOS (I dislike iframes anyway). I think Jukka has a solution to that problem (using JSON?).

I did mention a solution using JSONP. So, yes loading those pophelp’s using JavaScript and customizing them freely on the client’s/Textpattern’s end is possible.

Using actual, (technically safer) JSON isn’t really possible, because of cross-domain policies as you, Phil, note. JSONP refers to method where script is loaded from offsite and executed, overcoming the limitations. That script contains an same data as a JSON file would, but the data object is wrapped in an named object (variable or function) making it accessible after execution.

As I mentioned in the post I linked, the RPC server would respond with some JavaScript. I.e.

txpRPC_pophelp({
	"title" : "Article Body",
	"lang" : 'en-gb',
	"body" : 'The main content of an article is contained within the article body.\n\nWhen composing or readying articles for publication in Textpattern, you can switch between three views of the article: plain text, XHTML (the code with which a web browser renders the article), and a rendered preview.'
});

That uses a function opposed to the variable I mentioned earlier, but both do the same thing. The txpRPC_pophelp ideally would be a dynamic callback function picked from HTTP GET parameter named callback. This to avoid name collisions and to be able to use jQuery’s random callback function feature, but it can also be hard-coded (probably).

The JSONP file offered by RPC server can then be loaded using a <script> tag, which makes it available on the client’s end. jQuery offers build in single-line way of handling JSONP.

$.getJSON("http://rpc.textpattern.com/help/?item=body&language=en-gb&type=jsonp&callback=?", function(data){
	alert(data.title + ': ' + data.body);
});

Last edited by Gocom (2012-06-08 16:44:51)

Board footer