Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-05-03 12:59:59

jameslomax
Website

albumpattern - greenrift

OK so now I’m going to show my TXP age.

When I started using TXP seven years ago, there was a chap called Greenrift (I think) who was developing a plug in called Albumpattern.

It was the reason I chose TXP rather than Wordpress. At the time, there wasn’t a big gap between the two and it was Albumpattern functionality I wanted. Far as I’m aware, the AP project died and Greenrift more or less went offline.

Anyone remember this and/or have knowledge of AP? And more importantly, is it maybe the basis for a useful update or development?

I think it was “Socks” Mary who once said to me, it was a complicated plug in. So complicated for Mary = no good for me!

Anyway, some thoughts about AP.

#2 2012-05-03 14:33:46

Algaris

Re: albumpattern - greenrift

I remember Albumpattern as I used to use it for my website. I may still have it on a archive disk somewhere but it’s a long shot. It was a pain to install and the installation process never went smoothly. From what I remember Albumpattern is more of a mod than a pure plugin.

I’m not a programmer but I’d be very surprised if Albumpattern worked with the latest release of Textpattern without a major rewrite.

—Edit—

I found it listed on Textpattern.org. http://textpattern.org/mods/261/albumpattern Unfortunately (and unsurprisingly) the download link is broken.

Maybe the Way Back Machine might do the trick: http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://greenrift.textdrive.com/*

Last edited by Algaris (2012-05-03 14:40:25)

#3 2012-05-03 15:04:39

jakob
Admin
Website

I looked in the waybackmachine too – and deep-searched my hard-drive – but found nothing. Can you remind us what albumpattern actually did and what functionality it offers? Or alternatively, what kind of functionality are you looking for James?

There was a discussion here about a potential gallery-oriented plugin but I don’t know how it relates to albumpattern.

Last edited by jakob (2012-05-03 15:05:57)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2012-05-03 16:07:34

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

A lot of gallery-type functionality can be built with the core <txp:images /> tag and jQuery these days. So I’d be interested to know what album pattern did that was special.

#5 2012-05-03 18:37:32

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

This plug’in allowed to recover some Metadata (Exif, IPTC, XMP) ?
I just search a solution to retrieve some MetaData values ​​(eg location.) and generate tags or categories when importing.

#6 2012-05-04 12:34:42

jameslomax
Website

I’m not sure it was special. And quite possibly/likely, you can now do everything AP did using tags and plug ins. At the time though it seemed a good project and it caused me problems when Greenrift suddenly lost interest/whatever. I had to find some means of running a photo site, found I couldn’t do it myself, but then a series of nice folk helped me out. US chap who built his own personal site basically built mine exactly the same way (went offline some years ago), then Stuart did some stuff, then Mary, and then Julian.

Yes thats right – it was a mod rather than a plug in.

I never actually saw it in use, but it occurred to me the core code of it might be a good development project. If anyone wants it – I’ve still got it.

#7 2012-05-04 14:18:51

Algaris

The main thing that drew me to Albumnpattern was that it gave you an extra tab for to manage image galleries. It allowed me to assign the images into different galleries and navigate them in a visual way.

From what I remember Albumnpattern enabled less technical people to be able to create and display new image galleries without having to use lots of tags or scripting. I guess it was an alternative to using the image tab, assigning categories to images and using <txp:image /> to display them. I’m a little hazy on the specifics as it’s been so long since I’ve used it.

Last edited by Algaris (2012-05-04 14:21:48)

#8 2012-05-04 14:29:49

uli

Algaris wrote:

The main thing that drew me to Albumnpattern was that it gave you an extra tab for to manage image galleries.

In one of the last weeks I tried whether wow_gallery could still be installed on 4.4.1, someone here had problems doing so. I then saw it also comes with its own gallery managing tab. Didn’t test it any further, but anybody in need of a TXP internal gallery manager should try what it has to offer.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#9 2012-05-04 14:34:29

uli

sacripant wrote:

This plug’in allowed to recover some Metadata (Exif, IPTC, XMP) ?
I just search a solution to retrieve some MetaData values ​​(eg location.) and generate tags or categories when importing.

I can’t say whether the “generate tags or categories” part would work, I just saw that soo_image has some exif/-if_exif- tags. Edit: can’t see conditionals at the moment, probably mis-read a conglomeration of exif exif exif for an if_ex_if ;)) (The linked page is only a sub-page for soo_image.)

Last edited by uli (2012-05-04 14:38:22)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer