Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-04-12 15:19:37

6sigma
Website

Sites and platforms...

“Well, I, uh, don’t think it’s quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.” General ‘Buck’ Turgidson

#2 2012-04-12 15:58:04

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Sites and platforms...

Well, Textpattern isn’t a blog tool it’s a CMS, but yes WordPress dominates the blogging world. I’m sure we all know that.

I’m sure the Expression Engine crowd aren’t losing any sleep over it either.

#3 2012-04-13 07:08:09

Destry
Website

This from Daniel Nyström in the Facebook comments to that article, presumably referring to WordPress…

Crappy designed software upon a crappy designed language. It’s just sad.

So, he’s talking about php, then? I see this more and more; developers talking about moving away from php and mysql.

#4 2012-04-13 08:41:39

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote:

II see this more and more; developers talking about moving away from php and mysql.

PHP is far and away the most used language on the web, and that won’t change any time soon (Facebook even uses it). It has a bad rep because it’s easy to code badly with it, it’s not OOP and it lacks a common framework like Ruby has with Ruby On Rails (although Ruby has crap memory management and it doesn’t scale very well, so it’s not perfect either – that’s why Twitter dropped it in favour of Java/Scala).

End of the day, programmers sneer at the language that isn’t their personal favourite or on trend. Human nature. PHP has it’s uses for certain types of work.

Last edited by philwareham (2012-04-13 08:43:18)

#5 2012-04-13 09:10:21

Destry
Website

philwareham wrote:

End of the day, programmers sneer at the language that isn’t their personal favourite…

I hear that. Could be said about anything, I guess, which is normal. You know… use what you’re good at using.

I’m not a dev (surprise), but just curious about the signal I’ve bee seeing in that camp lately.

#6 2012-04-13 09:31:57

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’m not a dev either but I like to keep tabs on the pros and cons of each language. This blog sums up the current situation on PHP quite nicely I think.

FWIW my brother is a Java/JSP dev and he hates on pretty much every other web dev language (especially PHP) but then he works on massive enterprise architecture where Java makes sense to deploy.

#7 2012-07-01 09:53:35

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

In fact, one thing that seems to have happened since our survey in 2009 is that site owners and operators have become more secretive about their choice of platform.

no wonder

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer