Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-04-05 18:24:42

thiago

Editing sections via the panel

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to edit pages (I guess in Textpattern we call it sections?) via the admin panel? Like in WordPress, we can edit/add pages content (About, Contact, etc) via the panel using the text editor. It’s perfect for clients who don’t know HTML and wants to be able to edit the site’s content on their own. From what I see, we can only edit/add blog articles in Textpattern panel (from a client’s perspective).

Sorry if it’s a dumb question, but I don’t have much experience with TXP. :)

Thanks,
Cheers.

#2 2012-04-05 20:14:56

uli

Re: Editing sections via the panel

Little bit difficult figuring out what you mean. I myself never used WP, you don’t yet speak Textpatternish ;)

I advise you to read a short article from the TXP docs, Textpattern Semantic Model, and if the question still remains, please come back and ask whatever you want to know. But after this reading you’ll have a much better insight into what the elements are that Textpattern offers and how they interlock and interact with each other.

Welcome to the forum, thiago!

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2012-04-05 20:20:17

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

Yes there is,
To create a page or edit it settings go to Presentation > Sections, there you will find the sections list,
you will then be able to create more sections and edit each of their settings as choosing the CSS stylesheet and template code.

A TXP section is two things:
1. A link in the url
2. An area where you can assign dynamic content to it as in TXP it’s called ‘Articles’ (like ‘Posts’ in WP).

To edit a section template code go to Presentation > Pages,
As in TXP, pages’ template codes are called ‘Pages’, combined with code snippets that called ‘Forms’ Presentation > Forms

In most cases you don’t want your client to deal with code, so to add/remove pages your client will need to visit the ‘Sections’ tab.

—-

Edit: Uli was faster.

Last edited by THE BLUE DRAGON (2012-04-05 20:23:56)

#4 2012-04-05 20:32:46

uli

OT:

THE BLUE DRAGON wrote:

As in TXP, pages’ template codes are called ‘Pages’, combined with code snippets that called ‘Forms’ Presentation > Forms

Each time I know someone comes from the world of WP terms I think not only “Form” is a horrible term, even “Page” is.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#5 2012-04-05 20:44:20

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

uli wrote:

Each time I know someone comes from the world of WP terms I think not only “Form” is a horrible term, even “Page” is.

+1, not only from WP world, but in general.
But it also kind of makes TXP a unique cute monster that you just wish to huge it and squeeze LOL :)

Last edited by THE BLUE DRAGON (2012-04-05 20:44:38)

#6 2012-04-05 20:50:44

uli

THE BLUE DRAGON wrote:

unique cute monster that you just wish to huge it and squeeze LOL :)

:)

You’re not alone, see “wabi sabi”.

#7 2012-04-05 20:59:37

thiago

Thanks for replying guys! I’ve heard the TXP community is one of most friendly ones and it’s true. :)

However, I think I’m too dumb for TXP, lol. In some ways it seems simpler than WP, in other ways, it seems more complicated.

For example, in WP I go to the panel and create a page “About” or “Contact” or whatever. And I can throw the page content there. The client is able to edit this content using the text editor without having to worry with code.

I guess my question is, where do clients go if they want to edit the site’s content? Without having to deal with code. Let’s say the client wants to edit the “Contact” page’s content. The content, not the “page template”. Is there a way to do that?

I have the feeling this is the most dumb question ever, lol. Sorry guys :( Maybe it’s better for me to stick with WP, lol.

#8 2012-04-05 21:18:29

uli

thiago wrote:

I guess my question is, where do clients go if they want to edit the site’s content? Without having to deal with code. Let’s say the client wants to edit the “Contact” page’s content. The content, not the “page template”. Is there a way to do that?

Sure! It’s all done via the Write tab (Content > Write).

Just to be sure: Did you already install TXP and so can follow any steps we’ll recommend?

#9 2012-04-05 21:23:38

thiago

Yes I did! :)

Last edited by thiago (2012-04-05 21:23:53)

#10 2012-04-05 21:31:13

uli

Well, then log in to the Admin, go to Content > Write and have a little play. This is where your clients will work ;) Watch what’s changed on the front side when you click “View” (displays the single article you just edited) or when you preview the homepage (via the View Site button).

#11 2012-04-05 21:44:11

uli

BTW, for quickly exploring what your clients will see when you assign them a certain user level, I recommend a plugin by one of our core devs, Bloke/Stef Dawson: smd_faux_role.

That way you don’t need to create any of TXP’s user levels, log out, change name and pass, log back in, click your way back to where you once were, just to see you’ve forgotten to leave a certain backend page open for comparisons.

With faux_role installed you’ll get a dropdown menu on any of the admin pages (very desirable but needs a quick editing the plugin code) to rapidly change role while staying on that page you want to explore in any user role.

#12 2012-04-05 21:53:23

thiago

Got it!

In the default theme, there’s a “About” section already created, but there’s no content. So I went to Content > Write and changed the “section’ dropdown menu on the right from “articles” to “about”. Is that correct?

Board footer