Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2012-03-07 23:51:32

tye
Website

Re: TXP Magazine rises

Bloke wrote:

I try not to duplicate the message because that gets boring real fast.

Twitter: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out
Facebork: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out
G+: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out
Forum: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out
stefdawson.com: Hey I’ve got a new plugin out

I know it gets boring, but I think its needs to happen this way… I’ve missed so many things (like the mag launch – good work) because I am a social butterfly – one week I may login to Twitter more, the Next Facebook etc… (Google+… is that a failure?)

Ask Destry – I had to email him at the forum to find out where I had posted a comment about some mag topic.

But seriously, if you are serious about getting things out in the Social Channels – this is what you have to do as your audience, past and future, may not be limited to the one you choose to use…

I’m sure if everyone helps to get the message out, this is possible without being boring.

Facebork <— lol

#26 2012-03-08 00:28:30

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

tye wrote:

I know it gets boring, but I think its needs to happen this way… your audience, past and future, may not be limited to the one you choose to use…

Oh we’ll use them all! My point (probably poorly made) was about just copy ‘n’ pasting the same thing to each channel… then everyone retweets / +1s the same message and people ultimately switch off.

Acceptable spammage might be playing to the strengths of each medium:

Twitter: Hey I’ve got a new #date #textpattern plugin out. The #humans are coming!
Facebork: Like my new date-based plugin for Textpattern and vote for the feature you find most useful.
G+: Ever wanted to display more human dates in Textpattern? You can now with the newest plugin from +StefDawson.
Forum: Anyone who wants to try and break the new date-based smd_ plugin, grab a copy and post your findings here. Thanks!
stefdawson.com: Here’s a look behind the scenes of my latest date-based Textpattern plugin.

Subtle difference. Still pimping it, but using each channel’s features to twist the message to the intended audience. It’ll be the same with the mag I should think. Perhaps we’ll tweet when the new issue is ready, highlight a topical article on the G+ stream, run a related poll on Facebork, focus on a techie angle for discussion on the forum, and post the table of contents to LinkedIn. All of the mentions have links to the mag whereby people can discover the new issue and read related things of interest, but we haven’t just done the equivalent of standing on a crate with a megaphone in Times Square, yelling the same thing down each street until the police arrive.

Does that make sense?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#27 2012-03-08 01:27:32

tye
Website

Bloke wrote:

but we haven’t just done the equivalent of standing on a crate with a megaphone in Times Square, yelling the same thing down each street until the police arrive.

Are you sure you haven’t wrote a plugin to do that?

More than happy to help when I can if you need me – just yell on your megaphone :)

#28 2012-03-08 10:49:50

jpdupont

TXP reanimation ????
Thus our favorite CMS was ready to die?

I use Textpattern since 2004. TXP = Textpattern.

Linguist, sacripant +100

I had no idea it was so easy to steal the nickname of Textpattern …

Last edited by jpdupont (2012-03-08 12:45:24)

#29 2012-03-08 22:55:45

tye
Website

Maybe a service like PixelPipe can help streamline things… I see if there are any similar sites

#30 2012-03-09 01:15:26

Destry
Website

jpdupont wrote:

I had no idea it was so easy to steal the nickname of Textpattern

Nice performance. It doesn’t dignify a reply, but since you reference my article I’ll give you one anyway.

TXP” was always a part of the name. Downplaying “magazine” isn’t stealing.

TXP is a magazine about Textpattern. There is no conflict of interest.

I’m a user of Textpattern since 2004 too. So what?

New readers of the magazine don’t care about pet “nicknames”, they care about the content. Good content.

You guys keep using “TXP” in the way you want to. Nobody is stopping you. All roads lead to the dog house.

#31 2012-03-09 08:44:36

jpdupont

New readers of the magazine don’t care about pet “nicknames”, they care about the content. Good content.
You guys keep using “TXP” in the way you want to. Nobody is stopping you. All roads lead to the dog house.

TXPMag: good content, certainly!

That new readers read the magazine and understand the name of this magazine is TXP, OK.

Then these new readers are converting to Textpattern and use resources such as forums. In thousand posts, TXP is no longer the magazine, but the CMS ?

TXP is – for you – sexier than TXPMag, but adds to the confusion when reading your articles or the forum posts, for the new “customer”.

When I see your signature, I am disturbed. Here TXP lead to your dog house

Last edited by jpdupont (2012-03-09 08:49:50)

#32 2012-03-09 11:23:06

linguist

Destry,

You write that all roads lead to Textpattern.com. Yes, it should be like that, Textpattern CMS being the most important part of any Textpattern-related activity. And so far it has been like that with every Textpattern-related site that uses the names Textpattern and TXP as synonyms. But making TXP an official name for the magazine (and you say that all official Textpattern documents will be changed accordingly) will be MINUS one road to Textpattern, and not just minus a road, but minus a highway!

TXP has never been a confusing abbreviation for anyone using Textpattern or interested in Textpattern, as TXP has always and everywhere meant Textpattern. But the abbreviation TXP may become quite confusing from now on if it becomes the official name for TXP Magazine. What for? The magazine is in good hands now, you are doing great promotion work for it, the content is interesting, and everyone is certainly going to visit txpmag.com again and again. There seems to be absolutely no need to deprive Textpattern CMS of its lovely, long-standing, well-established, and very recognizable nickname TXP. Please reconsider, if possible. We love Textpattern and TXP!

#33 2012-04-02 18:43:13

NyteOwl

Looks interesting and I may read it from time to time but I won’t be commenting. I don’t do Disqus and imho it acts as a disconnect between an organization and those who care to participate. If an organization can’t make the bit of effort that goes into managing the comments of its readers I can’t make the effort to comment, simple as that.

As for the name. TXP has for some time entered the language stream as a shorthand for Textpattern, as WP has for Wordpress, MT for MovableType or GM for General Motors. Frankly, imho, using it for the magazine without the complete name (TXP Magazine) is a disservice to Textpattern and a dilution of it’s recognizeable identity. That said the decision regarding such is up to Textpattern’s owners.

Last edited by NyteOwl (2012-04-02 18:45:32)

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination. / 36-bits Forever! / #include <disclaimer.h>;

#34 2012-04-02 21:51:40

maruchan
Website

If an organization can’t make the bit of effort that goes into managing the comments of its readers I can’t make the effort to comment, simple as that.

Darn, just when I had settled on Disqus for running my comments! I hate managing commenting systems. How about Twitter-driven commenting? Do you do that?

#35 2012-04-03 01:24:23

Destry
Website

NyteOwl wrote:

I don’t do Disqus and imho it acts as a disconnect between an organization and those who care to participate.

If you don’t like DISQUS, that’s your right and I can understand. (I’m not crazy about Facebook, but I tolerate it for community reasons.)

I don’t see you logic about disconnect, though.

In fact, we did put some thought into our choice. There are a lot more DISQUS users than Txp users, and we want those people to come and read the magazine. That’s the whole point of this effort. We’re not dumping months of our time into the mag just to entertain the forum regulars alone. If we can get a few of those new readers to try the CMS for the first time too, then the magazine has succeeded. That’s the ROI. That’s about connecting, not disconnecting. A strategic decision based on magazine objectives.

If an organization can’t make the bit of effort that goes into managing the comments of its readers I can’t make the effort to comment

Yeah, because we’re not making any efforts on the magazine. :)

Seriously, though. The magazine actually has it’s own DISQUS account. As such, it also has an admin dashboard to manage comments—everyone’s comments—any way we want to, and do so with far greater usability and ease than Txp provides.

Ironically enough, textpattern.com’s blog comments are some of the worst I’ve ever encountered because I can never see my entry without some cache refresh I have to initiate, or some silly nonsense… I can never remember from one time to the next what I have to do. That is disconnect.

But, hey… if there’s one thing we should all know in this industry: you can’t please everybody.

#36 2012-04-03 06:18:26

jpdupont

Destry wrote:

… more DISQUS users than Txp users … and do so with far greater usability and ease than Txp provides …

NyteOwl:

As for the name. TXP has for some time entered the language stream as a shorthand for Textpattern, as WP has for Wordpress, MT for MovableType or GM for General Motors. Frankly, imho, using it for the magazine without the complete name (TXP Magazine) is a disservice to Textpattern and a dilution of it’s recognizeable identity.

Board footer