Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-09-01 14:49:09

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Textpattern on GitHub

Though not official, I’d like to point out the GitHub mirror of Textpattern setup by Graeme Porteous:

https://github.com/textpattern/textpattern

It’s a very easy way to download the latest code without having to use an SVN client, I dislike the Tortoise. The download will say 4.4.0 in the zip’s name but it’s the latest code after 4.4.1.

The reason I bring this up, is so more people can get involved in testing the latest release. Today there are many ways to run a local testing environment, XAMPP on Windows, MAMP on a Mac, or even running Linux on a dedicated or virtual machine.

Also, check out Phil’s new default theme:

https://github.com/philwareham/txp-h5bp-theme

Getting involved, it’s what Open Source is all about.

#2 2012-02-27 11:12:00

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Textpattern on GitHub

I’m bumping this since I’m still wanting to see Textpattern have a better presence of GitHub.

It would be good if the unofficial GitHub repo of Textpattern mentioned above tracked commits more frequently like the (official) WordPress one that updates every 30 mins. At the moment it takes a few weeks for changes to appear – I’m guessing because someone has to manually sync the repo – not great if you’re trying to work on core changes.

Better still would be if the core devs adopted that repo as an official source of Textpattern code and accepted pull requests that way (as well as via Subversion and Mercurial if they wish). I really don’t know why the reluctance to use it persists. If anything, Stef’s call to clone the Mercurial repo of Textpattern5 on Google Code has shown that direction to have failed.

FWIW Wired had quite an interesting writeup on GitHub recently

#3 2012-02-27 13:15:16

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

Better still would be if the core devs adopted that repo as an official source of Textpattern code

I’m not quite sure how we can adopt a resource which we do not own or control. This is, admittedly, a point of friction and might cause a bit of reluctance on our side. In related news, I’m all open to setup a regular syncing task somewhere.

#4 2012-02-27 14:19:24

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

wet wrote:

I’m not quite sure how we can adopt a resource which we do not own or control. This is, admittedly, a point of friction and might cause a bit of reluctance on our side.

Graeme & I bagged that project name a while back on GitHub, specifically to reserve it for the Dev team should they want it. If you want it, it’s yours. I have offered it before but had no take up.

In related news, I’m all open to setup a regular syncing task somewhere.

The repos should be auto-synchronised. I’ll see if I can find out if Graeme’s sync script is down for some reason.

Steve

#5 2012-02-27 14:24:47

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

net-carver wrote:

The repos should be auto-synchronised. I’ll see if I can find out if Graeme’s sync script is down for some reason.

Just out of curiosity, what frequency is the auto-sync set to?

#6 2012-02-27 14:29:04

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

I don’t recall — will have to get the word on that from Graeme — but it certainly didn’t used to take this long to reflect the changes from googlecode.

Steve

#7 2012-02-27 21:44:58

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

Auto-sync script was set to run 4 times per hour. Release tags were done manually.

Recently I’ve had sever problems and I’m in the process of setting up a new server which I was planning on moving the script and txpforge.org to. I’ll make an effort to conplete soon.

As Steve said, we’re happy to hand ove the github account to dev team and I’m happy to continue to maintain script in my spare time or to hand over to someone else with more time on their hands.

#8 2012-03-15 22:20:36

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

As a follow up to this, Graeme and I have handed the keys to the Textpattern account on github over to the devs and are in the process of detaching ourselves from that particular web-space.

Steve

#9 2012-03-20 08:56:29

[Axel]
Website

Looks like the mirror is dead. last update is 7 month old. I though I could find 4.5 here somewhere to check it out. Is there an other source than the svn to get a hand on it?

Greetz [Axel]

#10 2012-03-20 09:48:52

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The (now official) Textpattern GitHub repo is only a few weeks behind (Jan 30th) but hopefully it will be synced up again soon now the ownership has changed.

My own Textpattern GitHub fork is from more recent SVN but it does have a few changes in it that are not yet part, or may never be part, of the official core.

#11 2012-03-20 10:01:23

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

hopefully it will be synced up again soon now the ownership has changed.

I’ve got my grubby mitts on a script written by Graeme which syncs the repos, but I’m currently (still, because I’m lazy) not blessed with a Linux environment. It’s a shell script so I can’t run it. And I hate cygwin.

Wrapping my head around a way to get it set up in a really slick fashion. Didn’t know who to call so I tried Ghostbusters: waiting for them to check back and give me some guidance.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#12 2012-03-20 10:15:45

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

My webserver is linux (CentOS 5), maybe we could put the shell script on there for the moment?

Will we one day be able to send pull requests to the GitHub repo?

Board footer