Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-01-15 17:22:08

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Why Drupal Is Just Okay

Why Drupal Is Just Okay (written by a fellow librarian I follow on Google+)

Drupal has been consider hot in libraries for a while.

Last edited by michaelkpate (2012-01-17 15:17:15)

#2 2012-01-16 11:35:56

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Why Drupal Is Just Okay

Nice, I just stumbled across the Yii Framework that supposedly outperforms Drupal in all regards possible, however it is not a CMS but an app framework.

But then, if you need to code the entire Drupal logic anyways, you can always go ahead and start on a real framework and use real programming instead of system-specific code.

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#3 2012-01-16 14:43:56

JimJoe
Website

I have gone through around 10 blog/cms installs of various types and names.

I settled on texttpattern due to the great forum support and the far better documentation that otgher cms/blogs have.

I do use nucleuscms for a few of my sites as it is all I need for those sites.

Drupal had my attention for one weekend. while I did check on their site last year for any major changes to the docs, etc. I’ve never used it again.

#4 2012-01-16 16:33:53

mrdale
Website

I have about 4 drupal installs. Given that Drupal’s kitchen sink is pretty good, most of the battle for me is removing everything else.

I customized the interface so much (and removed so much clutter) that when one of my corporate clients were forced to use the new CMS system and site that their IT department pushed they said they much preferred my system.

• Q: “What CMS is your IT department using?”
  • A:“it’s called Drupal”

:)

#5 2012-01-16 19:39:29

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

So basically the author is saying an open source CMS, that has to cater to all manner of case scenarios, it not as focused as writing a bespoke CMS dedicated to a single website. Is that even worth blogging about? Seems pretty obvious to me.

Drupal is a fine CMS. And a good choice for certain types of site. Same as Textpattern is a good choice for certain types of site.

#6 2012-01-17 15:16:07

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I actually had a chance to chat with the co-author of the second piece I linked to – since we are in the same World of Warcraft Guild. His comment was that Drupal was much better as an app framework than a cms.

#7 2012-01-17 15:43:48

towndock
Website

While I may prefer Textpattern for most sites, I respect Drupal. The author’s points seem rather silly.

#8 2012-01-17 19:10:22

maniqui
Website

This was my rant at Drupal in 2005, where I was already in love with TXP. It’s not a logical and well-thought and highly constructive rant, shame on me (and my English sucked a bit more than now).
I just link it here for record purposes and for your amusement too (?).

Regarding the Why Drupal is Just Okay rant, I quote this two sentences (both coming from the latest paragraphs of the article):

But the real problem I have with Drupal (and this may turn out to be with all CMS), is that I really just want to add code to my sites the old-fashioned way when I need to get something done…and done quick and done well. From my experience thus far, Drupal does not make this part easy and I was actually missing LibGuides and even the broken CMS we currently use.

Case in point, my colleague Jim LeFager was trying to add JQuery functionality to a Drupal page. JQuery is supposed to be integrated in Druapl 7, but it turns out that to get any JQuery to work, you have to include one line of php referencing the JQuery library. Okay, not so hard, except that this critical piece is not documented anywhere.

From those lines, several things seem to be still “wrong” (from my POV), both with Drupal and the rant’s author.
He wants to add code “the old fashioned way” (I wonder what he meant exactly) to “get something done”. But then, he finds amusing that he had to add one line of PHP to get jQuery working (ok, to be fair, he complains about that requirement not being properly documented). That seems a bit contradictory to me.

Also, from the above paragraphs, it seems to me that Drupal still tries to do too much magic in the background (“jQuery integrated”, what does that mean?) of the website’s front-end. I didn’t like that in 2005, and I wouldn’t like that now.
As nardo said back in 2005 “horses for courses”.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#9 2012-01-17 19:26:06

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I do really like the fact that you can edit content directly in the page with Drupal. Theming with it is a bit painful though – not the almost instant gratification you get coding with Textpattern.

Anyway I digress. Drupal is a great choice for complex enterprise level sites. Especially if you have some good PHP developers to help.

Board footer