You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2012-01-12 17:54:52

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

#2 2012-01-12 18:06:04

maruchan
Website

Re: Seven essential qualities of open source

Good points. Re: #6, I nominate Stef as TXP5 SABDFL but I guess that would be too democratic

Last edited by maruchan (2012-01-12 18:07:12)

#3 2012-01-12 18:35:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Interesting read, though I disagree on some points.

you don’t pay for open-source soft­ware. But nei­ther do you get the extras that are stan­dard with pro­pri­etary soft­ware: ease of instal­la­tion, sup­port, doc­u­men­ta­tion, and so on

Seriously? So Adobe Photoshop (in fact, Adobe anything) is easy to install, well supported and documented? I think not. Adobe don’t know the meaning of user-centric documentation; the products are a pig to install; and their support makes eBay customer service look good.

soft­ware devel­op­ers are not altru­ists. Like every­one else in the labor mar­ket, they are ratio­nal actors, and well-paid ones at that.

Assumption: a person working on an open-source project (like me) is a software developer by trade. Professionally, I’m not. I’m faaaar from it: a self-taught hacker who does it because I can. Music and sound engineering is my thing. As is creative writing. The day I’m labelled a true software developer is a sad day for developerkind because I tarnish their good reputation :-)

Granted I know some stuff and can talk cohesion, coupling and all that crap they made me write down at uni, but I don’t practise it.

I hack, therefore I am.

maruchan wrote:

I nominate Stef as TXP5 SABDFL

Ha ha! Dictator, probably. I’d proffer it more accurately stands for Software Architect But Doesn’t Fancy LISP.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2012-01-12 20:09:53

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote:

Seriously? So Adobe Photoshop (in fact, Adobe anything) is easy to install, well supported and documented? I think not. Adobe don’t know the meaning of user-centric documentation; the products are a pig to install; and their support makes eBay customer service look good.

I agree that he was pretty far off on that point. Not to single out a single product, but I can think of many proprietary software products that I have paid actually money for and then had to rely on the user community to support.

And in fact, I have not bought things because the company had not bothered to develop their user community and I had no reason to believe that there was going to be anyone to answer questions not covered in the basic documentation.

Last edited by michaelkpate (2012-01-14 15:28:36)

#5 2012-01-13 07:20:54

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

The author thoroughly confuses “open source” with “free software”. From there on, it gets worse. If money was the only motivator as this essay implies, there’d be no charities, no Red Cross. And no Textpattern.

Board footer