Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-12-20 13:19:54

jakob
Admin
Website

automated website/mysql backup?

Would love to know what people use for automated web/mysql db backup. After years of semi-regular backups, either with a calendar reminder or cronjob mysqldump script, I want to find a more reliable, set and forget option that I can use for multiple sites, not just my own, including with hosts without SSH access, and wondered what you guys and girls use.

For example, does anyone have any experience of online services such as myRepono, scripts like XCloner or similar, or programs like Sitevault (is there something like this for the mac?). While we have rss_db_admin, we don’t have anything like Vaultpress for txp.

BTW: this was prompted by a colleague in my shared workspace (not a webdesigner) who accidentally deleted an entire node of her website (the “edit and delete” buttons in the proprietary CMS are directly next to each other) and her web company does not have a recent backup…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#2 2011-12-20 15:44:32

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: automated website/mysql backup?

I use:
  • daily, weekly, monthly backups of the entire server (linode.com extra service)
  • manual rsync of the entire server to a harddisk here at home every month or so (in case the hosting company burns to the ground or gets hit by a meteor).
  • daily cronjob that sends a mysqldump to my home server using ssh.

#3 2011-12-20 16:30:32

mrdale
Website

I use rsync, AutoMySQLBackup, and cron pushed to a redundant non webserver (strongspace):

• Three rsync cron jobs (monthly, weekly, daily)
  • AutoMySQLBackup daily which itself handles pgp encryption and (monthly, daily, weekly)

It’s worked pretty nicely.

#4 2011-12-20 19:25:51

maruchan
Website

I’ve had really sterling results with third-party services. I signed up for Site5’s daily off-site incremental backup service and it’s just an email away. I’ve already used it once.

That’s much more convenient than maintaining separate scripts, though I do still rely on them in some cases.

And then I have some clients who just like that they can log in to their control panel, click “download backup” and do it themselves. :-) Angels.

Last edited by maruchan (2011-12-20 19:26:56)

Board footer