Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-12-17 12:57:33

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Textpattern.com SEO

I’ve started making improvements to the .com site and will continue doing so throughout early 2012. One thing that needs improvement is the SEO – I have fairly good knowledge of that subject but if anyone with expert advice wants to give a few extra tips for improvement that would be most welcome.

Things like the liberal use of TXP within articles instead of Textpattern (or Textpattern CMS) are immediately apparent. As is the general lack of mentions that this project is free and open source. Some of the meta descriptions and page meta titles are also not too SEO friendly I think.

I’m making efforts to reduce the codebase and page load substantially which will also have the side-benefit of aiding SEO slightly.

Last edited by philwareham (2011-12-17 12:58:08)

#2 2011-12-17 21:09:36

maniqui
Website

Re: Textpattern.com SEO

See:

site:textpattern.com

I agree with Phil. Definitely, there seems to be room for improvement on current copy for titles and meta description.
As always suggested by SEO enthusiasts, changes should be focused on improving usability for human beings, bringing improvements that will also pay off on SEO-related matters.

One thing to take into consideration is that, according to Google (and some experts) meta descriptions don’t affect ranking directly (but can affect it indirectly, assuming it brings a higher CTR on a particular result for a particular search), so it’s suggested that the copy for meta descriptions is even more human-oriented (i.e. more tweaked to appeal humans than robots :)).

Thus, for marketing purposes, meta descriptions are a great opportunity to try/exercise some action-oriented copy (i.e. putting some call to actions there) that will help people to decide clicking on that particular result and not on the prev/next one.

On other cases, like meta descriptions for a FAQ entry, it could be wise to tune it to directly provide, if possible, the answer to the question. The user could get the answer directly on the SERP, without having to visit the particular page. Yes, that may mean less traffic, but also great service.

For blog posts, a well-crafted intro or summary of the article, and not an automagically-created, split version of body/excerpt, could also be a better exploit for the meta description.

From an implementation POV, if excerpt field is already being used (but not for holding good, specifically-tweaked, metadescription-wise content), then using a custom field may be the way to go. Also, rah_metas can really help managing all this.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer