sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

Re: smd_wrap: conditionally wrap stuff with tags and labels

Bloke a écrit:

Try this:
<txp:custom_field name="my_custom" escape="" />

⚡☹⚰⚠☢☠☣

Still an attribute that my brain had completely forgotten.
Thanks Steph

#14 2011-12-02 01:29:27

maniqui
Website

I wonder if converting smd_wrap into smd_warp is just a matter of adding support for form attribute and txp:yield.
In equation:

txp:smd_wrap + form="" + txp:yield = txp:smd_warp 
// an txp:output_form on stereoids.

the Universe trembles in fear

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#15 2011-12-02 01:51:12

TNT
Website

maniqui wrote:

the Universe trembles in fear

I already felt a tremor in the Force…

Prrrrrrrr

#16 2011-12-02 09:05:08

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

maniqui wrote:

adding support for form attribute and txp:yield.

I can’t believe I missed off the form. That’s a two-line addition which I’ve done ready for the next version, thanks. But can you give me a use case for <txp:yield> please? I can’t figure out how the plugin needs to change to enable you to implement it. To trigger yield you need to use <txp:output_form> as a container, which you can wrap already; viz. this contrived example:

<txp:smd_wrap transform="replace||teapot|toaster">
   <txp:output_form form="wrapcontent">I'm a little teapot</txp:output_form>
</txp:smd_wrap>

Where wrapcontent contains:

<div>
<txp:yield />, short and stout
</div>

P.S. The item attribute can also be used to specify content for wrapping, and supports tags-in-tags if you so desire.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-12-02 09:08:16)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#17 2011-12-02 17:21:07

maniqui
Website

Bloke wrote:

I can’t believe I missed off the form. That’s a two-line addition which I’ve done ready for the next version, thanks.
But can you give me a use case for <txp:yield> please?

Errrrr… emmmmmm… just put it there, don’t ask! :)
First, the use cases for form attribute:

• as with most other tags that support form attribute: to call a form, and render it. Nothing fancy (just an alternative to the container use).
  • in tandem with txp:yield.

The example you provided is a good one, and that’s what I would do if I need to use smd_wrap and the power of txp:output_form/txp:yield combo.

What I was thinking was cutting down the code length.
The following example is almost the same as the one you posted, just removed txp:output_form and put the form attribute directly in txp:smd_wrap.

<txp:smd_wrap form="wrapcontent" transform="replace||teapot|toaster">
   I'm a little teapot

(the wrapcontent form remains the same as in your example)

Of course, if this would be implemented, it opens a few questions (and maybe some cans for worms):
Should the wrapped content be processed before/after passing it to the specified form? Maybe that would be controlled by just another attribute.

P.S. The item attribute can also be used to specify content for wrapping, and supports tags-in-tags if you so desire.

I must admit that when I saw this attribute, I wondered, and still wonder, why someone would prefer to use it, instead of just going with the container way of using smd_wrap. Yes, it may shorten the code (removing the closing </txp:smd_wrap>), but then, it becomes probably less legible. Maybe just a matter of preference? Or you devised other use cases?

#18 2011-12-02 17:24:32

maniqui
Website

Moreover, I’d extend txp:yield capabilities to other (any?) txp:tag that admits a form attribute and can be used as container tag. Of course, this should be discussed into a proper feature request, not here at smd_wrap thread.

#19 2011-12-03 07:00:01

des

This is a fantastic plugin, thanks!
I’m having a little trouble getting it to work with image captions, though. In a form, I have:

<txp:smd_wrap transform="textile" wraptag="p" class="caption"><txp:image_info type="caption" escape="" wraptag="" /></txp:smd_wrap>

The textile function works perfect, but it’s not being wrapped properly. What I end up with is:

<p class="caption"> </p><p>[IMAGE CAPTION]</p><p> </p>

What am I doing wrong?

#20 2011-12-04 23:18:35

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

des wrote:

The textile function works perfect, but it’s not being wrapped properly. What I end up with is:
<p class="caption"> </p><p>[IMAGE CAPTION]</p><p> </p>

I see this too. At least in Firebug I see that structure, although looking at View Source I see the HTML is actually rendered “correctly” like this:

<p class="caption">	<p>[IMAGE CAPTION]</p></p>

The trouble is that you can’t wrap a paragraph with a paragraph. Semantically, how would a browser — or even a book — render a paragraph of text and then put another paragraph inside that one? Since Textiling content will always wrap paragraph tags around its content — unless that content has been told to ignore textile by use of ==, notextile. or spaces at the start of the line — there’s not much you can do.

My suggestion to get round this is by using wraptag="div" in smd_wrap or just not using a wraptag at all. Sorry, but I hope that helps.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-12-04 23:19:24)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#21 2011-12-04 23:57:59

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

maniqui wrote:

<txp:smd_wrap form=“wrapcontent” transform=“replace||teapot|toaster”>I’m a little teapot</txp:smd_wrap>

Makes sense. Consider it done. At least, that construct now works in v0.11 beta but…

Should the wrapped content be processed before/after passing it to the specified form?

… does confuse things a little. However, I don’t think you have any real choice over parse order because the parser works on all form content at once, so there’s no way to defer processing of the yielded content after the form itself has been parsed.

In other words, the act of parsing the form parses any yield tags: if the yielded content contained any tags they would be parsed when the form was parsed!

The upshot is that the plugin logic is now:

• If you use item it’s treated as ‘contained content’ but will NOT work with <txp:yield />. Container is ignored, thus a self-closing tag should be used.
  • if you use form you can also use a self-closing tag unless you want to use <txp:yield />.
  • if you use form AND a container, the contained content is trimmed (if trim is used, which it is by default), parsed and then plugged into any <txp:yield /> in the form.
  • if you use a pure container — no form or item — the contained content is treated as the data to wrap.

Note that in all cases except the last ‘pure container’ usage, you don’t get the benfit of being able to use <txp:else /> to show some other content if the data is empty.

[item attribute] when I saw this attribute, I wondered, and still wonder, why someone would prefer to use it, instead of just going with the container way of using smd_wrap

There’s not much in it, but I find this:

<txp:smd_wrap item="{my_smd_query_var}" wraptag="div" />

better than:

<txp:smd_wrap wraptag="div">
  {my_smd_query_var}

That was the only use case I could think of where the item is of practical use over container / form. It does make code shorter and more readable when nesting smd_wrap inside smd_query or smd_bio, for example, but it’s only useful if you want to silently ignore the times when the content is empty.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-12-05 00:27:32)

#22 2011-12-09 23:08:07

maniqui
Website

Bloke wrote:

Makes sense. Consider it done. At least, that construct now works in v0.11 beta but…

Thanks.

There’s not much in it, but I find this:
(…)
That was the only use case I could think of where the item is of practical use over container / form. It does make code shorter and more readable when nesting smd_wrap inside (…).

That explains it and I like it.

Another quick suggestion: experts (like me) in handling advanced smd_ technology will quickly grasp the plugin’s ins and out by just skimming over the plugin description, and one or two examples. But then, imo, the examples will be even more useful, particularly for newcomers to smd_ universe, if they include the expected output.

#23 2011-12-09 23:16:17

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

maniqui wrote:

the examples will be even more useful, particularly for newcomers to smd_ universe, if they include the expected output.

Good catch, thanks. I’ll add that to the docs before I release the next version officially. Just waiting on your report to see if the yield thing works for you.

#24 2011-12-09 23:36:52

jakob
Admin
Website

Hi Stef,

been really putting this through its paces recently but I think I found something that smd_wrap can’t (yet) do … gasp … and that is formatting numbers.

I know php has number_format / money_format and that looks (to me) like a good fit for the plugin. How good is number_format at recognising inconsistently formatted numbers or does it have to have a pure number as input? As you know I’m drawing in values from a database that are inconsistently input by the respective operator, sometimes with a thousand separator, sometimes without, sometimes using the english decimal separator, sometimes not. I’m trying to get some consistent output out of the inconsistent db-data. I’m always pleasantly surprised at how well php’s date reformatting functions are able to recognise all manner of date formats and was wondering whether (read: hoping that) php’s number_format might be equally tolerant…

Board footer