Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-11-30 10:53:14

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: [mention] 2011 WaterAndStone CMS Market Share Report Results

OK, how else could people easily raise awareness of Textpattern? Looking through the report a lot of respondents had not heard of Textpattern at all. This is backed up by the average monthly download count being the lowest in the top 20.

Although you should take heart that people that do know of Textpattern rate it highly.

#14 2011-11-30 11:06:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

how else could people easily raise awareness of Textpattern?

Use it, talk about it, write about it, meet up, make noise on social channels, stick a badge on their Txp sites, wear the T-shirt / eat Txp spaghetti shapes, attend trade shows / conferences / webinars and sneak it into the conversation; generally sing its praises.

Most of that’s happening s-l-o-w-l-y and I’m sure there are more things I can’t think of right now.

Looking through the report a lot of respondents had not heard of Textpattern at all.

Yes that is where we need to improve. A lot. In comparison I’d never heard of e107 until the report came out. It sounds like a food additive or some kind of face cream, but appears to have been around in some form or other since 2001, predating Txp. Learn something new every day.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-11-30 11:09:06)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2011-11-30 19:45:28

lazlo

This forum board is very active but how would anyone know? There should be social network actions built right in especially LSYT and when someone comes up with an excellent solution. We should be able to one click G+ posts, tweet them, etc. Steph has to go to the facebook group and post about this forum manually. I have to cut and paste LSYT into Linkedin, facebook… it just isn’t friendly to social media. I come across posts that I think are fantastic I would love to give instant feedback to the author without having to comment, I would like to instantly share it in a tweet.

We give no external hints to anyone about how popular a plugin is except by download count/forum activity and these are obtuse metrics. Same goes for threads, a thread may have 31 pages of info but inside that thread there are 5 really relevant posts that would blow anyone’s mind, but there is no way to tell except to read the whole thread.

Can we even pull up suitable statistics internally? Do we know how many installs happen through softlicious/fantastico? If we can’t produce this type of info then it would be very hard to expect any outside world to do it.
We also give no way for lurkers to passively contribute.

As you can see I have no easy solutions, the core group does GREAT work but we are more like a secret cabal than a public entity.

best regards
Les

Edit: | Ping textpattern.com? No [Yes] | is on by default, can’t we get this giving us some info? I know it has been brought up before, but I am unaware of the end of the discussion.
Edit #2: LSYT = Let’s See Yours, Then http://forum.textpattern.com/viewforum.php?id=6

Last edited by lazlo (2011-11-30 21:40:07)

#16 2011-11-30 20:49:48

douglgm
Website

Does the number of updates/releases affect the number of downloads?

#17 2011-11-30 22:30:10

totoff
Website

txp in many respects is one of the best and flexible cms out there. so, why few people know about it?

my 2cents as marketing professional:

• the brand is fractionated. we have several domains under which people find information about textpattern (e.g. textpattern.com, textpattern.org, textgarden.org etc.) consolidating under one roof maybe is the easiest step forward to go.
  • not much “buzz” on textpattern.com (three blog posts in three month) make the impression of a “dead” system. share more information.
  • no up-to-date literature about how to use it. a printed book (up-to-date) would be a great step forward (no, i’m not the one to write it. not experienced enough with textpattern).
  • major and important plugins such as for example rss_unlimited_categories are no longer updated. i have no quick solution for this (same is true for the other points) but i’m convinced it diminshes peoples trust in the cms.
  • i’m not sure whether textile is the best solution for the average content writer or not. my clients hardly have the ability to get grips on textile. i personally like it, but they are used to ms word and prefer wsiwyg editors – in general clients have no clue about html and want a quick and easy solution.
  • make more buzz on social media as others have suggested here

apologies if my english is not the best. hope it gets clear how much i appreciate txp and the work of the core developers. but if it comes to marketing some things could improve.

best, christoph

#18 2011-11-30 22:48:40

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Integrating the forums a bit into the textpattern.com site as a ‘latest forum posts’ sidebar or in the footer and adding social sharing options to forum posts as suggested would be a step in the right direction. Gives you self-generating new content without much effort – your users effectively make the content for you.

#19 2011-11-30 23:51:13

lazlo

philwareham wrote:

Integrating the forums a bit into the textpattern.com site as a ‘latest forum posts’ sidebar or in the footer and adding social sharing options to forum posts as suggested would be a step in the right direction. Gives you self-generating new content without much effort – your users effectively make the content for you.

I would upvote this if I could…

#20 2011-12-01 15:22:57

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

…adding social sharing options to forum posts as suggested would be a step in the right direction.

I sprinkled a few little blue birds across:

Squeeze them!

#21 2011-12-01 15:37:46

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

read your twits but there is no answer from them regarding the rest of us (I have no social networking accounts). Hopefully they will resolve it at which case our user-base will definitely show a sharp increase next year.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#22 2011-12-01 18:44:52

lazlo

Thanks Robert

A sweet start, if at some point we could get the G+, Fbook. Linkedin, direct link down to the comment level as well, I would appreciate it.
The google plus 1 button (not the G+ share) might work tracking popularity on the comment and thread level for lurkers.
This is good for us who have to live in the social media world.

L.

#23 2011-12-01 18:53:30

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

lazlo wrote:

A sweet start, if at some point we could get the … Fbook

I tried, but FBook insists on citing the post one below the one I intended. Mysterious. Due to privacy concerns in Germany which are our third-largest visitor population, I’d rather not use their intrusive native API if possible.

#24 2011-12-01 19:03:43

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

Integrating the forums a bit into the textpattern.com site as a ‘latest forum posts’

Done. Which serves to show that this forum is basically a Bloke one-man show ;)

Board footer