Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-11-29 21:25:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

[mention] 2011 WaterAndStone CMS Market Share Report Results

For those that haven’t seen it yet, it’s out now.

We’re up on last year, still “at risk”, but making strides in the right direction. TXP Mag will give us much more visibility. Note to self: get skates on with Txp 5.

Thank you to everyone who took part in the survey and shared your views on Textpattern. It means a lot. With this vital voice, the hard work of everyone in the community and the dedication of everyone who continues to push boundaries making beautiful sites with Txp, we can only grow stronger.

Please talk, tweet and discuss this report on social channels. All chatter is good.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-11-29 21:25:54)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2011-11-29 22:09:40

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: [mention] 2011 WaterAndStone CMS Market Share Report Results

Well done to all involved.

It seems the biggest hurdle Textpattern faces is awareness. It had the lowest download rate out of the top 20, but a high retention and satisfaction rate – which tells me that those that find it tend to like it. With the projects planned for 2012 (including txpmag) I’m sure things will improve on that front.

I also need to crack on with my contributions to the project over the next couple of months too.

Last edited by philwareham (2011-11-29 22:11:09)

#3 2011-11-30 01:19:40

Destry
Website

Kudos to everyone who took that survey. The improvement in a couple of categories was no doubt the result of that.

I think their summary is fair…

Given the longevity of this system, the evidence seems to point to a diehard cadre of fans who have tried it, like
it, and aren’t inclined to switch. *The challenge, will be whether Textpattern can break out of this coterie and
into a larger role in this highly competitive market.*

Agree with Phil. Textpattern awareness should be way better than it is after 8 years (what they mean by “longevity of the system”). Awareness is definitely the front to fight on.

At least they spelled Textpattern correctly, which is more than can be said for some people even in our own community.

If you look across all 20 systems in the report, the major achiever is Concrete5, and the big loser is Joomla, two entirely different systems, and entirely different from Textpattern too.

The trends of the other systems are just as important to watch. The climb to the top is easier when those at the top are falling. :)

#4 2011-11-30 08:42:39

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Interestingly in p.18: “Exhibit 4 – Live installations, as per BuiltWith which i asume it is using data from builtwith.com, txp is 3rd from last. No wonder as it does not even list textpattern.com as a site built with txp. I guess this is because of our sceptical approach regarding the <meta name="generator" content="textpattern"/> tag.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2011-11-30 09:06:45

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote:

it does not even list textpattern.com as a site built with txp.

Haha, bit of an oversight: I guess we should add a slug line there or something. Although one would assume its impicit, it doesn’t hurt to tell the bots.

I guess this is because of our sceptical approach regarding the <meta name="generator" content="textpattern"/> tag.

*shrug* is that what BuiltWith uses to determine what CMS is used? Or are there other hints it looks for? I can’t find any obvious “this is how we determine what a site is built with” document on their site.

If that meta tag is important to them, perhaps that’s a good argument for including it by default? Although authors are of course free to take it out, the brand loyalty displayed by Txp users in that report might mean it stays in a lot of the time or people copy it to their templates. As long as it’s used as you have it above and doesn’t reveal the version number, I think we’re ok.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-11-30 09:15:19)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#6 2011-11-30 09:47:43

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote:

If that meta tag is important to them, perhaps that’s a good argument for including it by default? Although authors are of course free to take it out, the brand loyalty displayed by Txp users in that report might mean it stays in a lot of the time or people copy it to their templates. As long as it’s used as you have it above and doesn’t reveal the version number, I think we’re ok.

I’ve just added it to the new TXP default theme

Next time I do a code drop to Robert this will be included. Are you happy with “textpattern” or should it be “textpattern cms”? Maybe I should capitalise the name too?

#7 2011-11-30 10:04:30

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote:

I’ve just added it to the new TXP default theme

Superb, thanks.

Are you happy with “textpattern” or should it be “textpattern cms”? Maybe I should capitalise the name too?

I doubt capitalisation actually matters to bots, but we’re going through the motions of making the brand consistent so a capital ‘T’ would probably help. I don’t have strong feelings about the ‘CMS’ part. Gut feeling is that it should probably be there to distinguish “the CMS product wot made this site possible” from “the rest of the Txp universe”. Maybe Destry has an opinion on this?

#8 2011-11-30 10:11:47

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I guess adding the CMS part makes it more obvious what Textpattern actually is. I going to change it unless I hear strongly otherwise.

#9 2011-11-30 10:20:53

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Please keep in mind that Textpattern renders a generator meta element in all feeds. Any decent tool should be able to sniff out a Textpattern site.

#10 2011-11-30 10:34:27

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

wet wrote:

Any decent tool should be able to sniff out a Textpattern site.

And yet BuiltWith doesn’t!

It detects that A list apart uses EE and Smashing Magazine uses WP despite neither site employing meta generator tags so it must use some other sniffing technology to garner this info.

That leaves us with drawing the following conclusions:

• BuiltWith is not a decent tool (!)
  • We’re not on their radar and need to tell them how to sniff out a Txp site
  • We need to drop hints in the markup to wake the radar operator up

How best to proceed?

Last edited by Bloke (2011-11-30 10:36:42)

#11 2011-11-30 10:49:43

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Bloke wrote:

is that what BuiltWith uses to determine what CMS is used? Or are there other hints it looks for? I can’t find any obvious …

I’m not sure what they use but I just checked my sites and none of them are listed as txp powered. In one of them I added the meta tag and I’ll have to wait for a month before they revisit it to see if anything changed. The current report I saved as pdf for comparison.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#12 2011-11-30 10:51:12

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote:

• We’re not on their radar and need to tell them how to sniff out a Txp site

Trying to fix this. You can do, too ;)

Board footer