Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-11-14 01:16:29

kvnmcwebn
Website

little site i did for my boss.

What do you guys and ladies think of this then?

artworks

Any suggestions on how to improve it welcome.

-best
Kevin

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#2 2011-11-14 01:20:01

kvnmcwebn
Website

Re: little site i did for my boss.

oh plug ins used are

fpx_image_import
rah_sitemap
rss_admin_db_manager
smd_lib
smd_slimbox
yab_email
zem_contact_reborn

also uses
jquery
gomaps
google map v3
lightbox
nivoslider

photogallery

#3 2011-11-14 08:50:36

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Clean and elegant

Congrat

#4 2011-11-14 14:02:55

joebaich
Website

Really nice site Kevin, I bet you have gone up a notch or two in the boss’s estimation.

I thought maybe you could reflect the lettering in the shop sign in “ARTWORKS” top left of your page but what you have is better design, simpler and more elegant.

So the boss needs to change his sign writing to match, right Seamus?

I haven’t been to Letterkenny since 1968 and so haven’t a clue where the An Grianan Theatre is. To get the lat and long of the shop to insert in your file jquery.gomap-1.3.2.js, to generate a marker, right-click on the desired spot on a Google map and, from the menu, choose “What’s here?” Click on the green arrow marker that appears on the map to get the lat/long coordinates. Phil Wareham posted a useful guide to using a similar file earlier today.

Last edited by joebaich (2011-11-14 14:11:25)

#5 2011-11-14 15:22:53

uli

Alright, party poopers to the front:

A look under the hood reveals topsy-turvy code. 58 errors for the homepage and 80 for contact: Two html elements, nested ul’s without surrounding li’s, a’s outside of h1’s, duplicate/triple IDs, lightbox not working on the last list entry here etc. Room for improvement.

But yes, the site looks nice. Well done.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#6 2011-11-14 18:12:33

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Looks nice indeed. To add to what Uli mentioned;

• On the frontpage there is JavaScript error caused by a call to lightBox function, but the plugin isn’t included on the page. You should remove the lightBox call from pages that do not have the function declared.
  • Different pages are loading jQuery from different places, and all are different old versions. This causes wasting of bandwidth and cached memory. You should load just one copy of latest jQuery, from one centralized location. That current v1.2.3 is almost 4 years old. How many new browsers and javascript engine updates have come out since then?.
  • Googles Maps API and all it’s components are loaded on pages that do not have maps. You should load it only when you need it to. That’s a lot of unused code to handle. If Google’s servers take time to load, so will all the pages.
  • You are not really using GoMap’s features, are you? You could do the same with the 2 line example in the maps doc without all 870 lines.
  • Nivosliders are initialized twice each.
  • There is quite a lot of unoptimized CSS for example border:0px solid white;, all the stacked property-sub lists when values are same, and inline styles on the page.
  • The site width is set to 1024 pixels, while the content and the actual page in reality is only under 900 pixels width. As I keep my windows pretty small (multitasking some may call it), I get vertical horizontal scrollbars. If the page width was set to smaller, more precise value, I wouldn’t.

I hope I’m not too of a party pooper.

#7 2011-11-14 19:11:07

kvnmcwebn
Website

hey thanks a million guys.
Joe yes an grianan theatre wasn’t there in the sixties :)…, my next step was to figure out how to get a marker up there thanks a mill for that.
Party poopers, thanks for the reality check. I appreciate the detail you went into gocom.
I will go to work addressing all these validation issues now that the site is up.
The reason i have two versions of jquery loading is because I could only get lightbox to work with the old version that came with the download. But i will make separate heads for each page and only load what is required.
thanks again. thats a brilliant critique.
-Kevin

photogallery

#8 2011-11-14 19:55:28

kvnmcwebn
Website

joe btw i agree with you about the sign and logo. I had to depart from it a little. I think he needs to change the sign, also it looks too much like the tattoo shop’s sign next door. haha i bet that wasn’t there in 1968 either.

photogallery

Board footer