Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-09-27 12:30:34

zero
Website

Feed link for multiple sections

TXPQ has four sections – people, places, plugins, and product. At the moment I have:
<txp:feed_link flavor="atom" format="link" label="Atom" />
in each page head. Subscribers just get a feed for the one section they are in when they subscribe because the feed defaults to the current section.

Merz1 points out here that he’s not sure about the sense or meaning of
http://txpq.com/atom/?section=people%2C+product%2C+plugins%2C+places on the site.
I’m not sure either but that is what I get when I put
<txp:feed_link flavor="atom" format="link" section="people,product,plugins,places" /> in the page head.

What’s the best practice for feed links for multiple sections?

Last edited by zero (2011-09-27 14:09:37)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#2 2011-09-27 13:10:13

merz1
Website

Re: Feed link for multiple sections

Above link to ‘here’ should be http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=253004#p253004 so that you are thrown at the thread item (which I updated to point back here :)

Thanks for the txp:feed_link code as I really did not or do not understand the sense/meaning to automatically adapt to only link to the feed for the current section.

I am using a hand coded FeedBurner URL in my header which syndicates my site feed so I never stumbled upon this txp:feed_link behavior.

Per default I would expect a section="" behavior and not the inbuilt automatic (and unwanted?) if_section/‘only current section’ like behavior. Is section="" the attribute to choose for a generic site feed on all pages in all sections?

Last edited by merz1 (2011-09-27 13:21:47)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#3 2011-09-27 14:23:03

zero
Website

Above link to ‘here’ changed.

Tag reference for Feed link has the default to current section. Using section="" does indeed provide a generic feed for all sections. I had forgotten about that, because I wanted all sections minus one or two on previous sites, and got into the habit of listing sections. Messy output still applies, however, when listing sections. So is there a better way to do it?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#4 2011-09-27 15:42:18

merz1
Website

1. Well, I would recommend 1-n FeedBurner feed(s) because you get some additional bells & whistles like an email newsletter.
  2. You can also add multiple feed sources to your header which offers the (sometimes disturbing) possibility of choice between eg ‘all’ and ‘section only’.
  3. And you can go the complicated way and create an extra section for a homemade XML output.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#5 2011-09-27 17:11:20

zero
Website

Cheers. I’ve used Feedburner and the output looks a bit better on multiple sections. It was on Feedburner that I first noticed that it will only provide feeds for 10 sections. If you have 12 or 14 it misses off the last 2 or 4. It’s the same with RSS and Atom. Is this a Textpattern limitation or the nature of feeds?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#6 2011-09-27 18:26:26

merz1
Website

There can be so many reasons and/or combinations.

1. FeedBurner form is not able to send such a (long) URL
  2. FeedBurner is not able to process such a (long) URL
  3. Textpattern has a hick-up
  4. Database has a hick-up

You have to check/debug the output for every step. Sorry.

#7 2011-09-27 18:40:57

zero
Website

Thanks for the help, Markus. I’ll dig into this sometime.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer