Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2011-09-14 12:36:03

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: New Default Theme

@knowleswilliam

Thanks, the theme has been designed to (hopefully) be easier to dissect for new users than the previous default theme – so if you find any part of it unclear, let us know.

#62 2011-09-17 17:03:15

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Hi Phil

Just three things about your new default theme included into revision 3591

First one.

I suggest to add a css entry for password input type. Some (new) plugins add a control access into TXP with password connection, it could be useful to consider that fact for new users:

(css file “default” line #655)

input[type="text"],
  input[type="email"],
  input[type="url"],
  input[type="password"],
  input[type="search"],
  textarea {
	/* 11px / 13px */
(...)

Second one.

Why using <txp:text item=(...) /> into comment forms? Revision 3591 doesn’t add the corresponding entries into language files. So actually, texts aren’t translated for foreigner users.

Third one.

Don’t know if it’s my fault (I add manually each revision when they are published) but I have an illogical double error message on preview comment:

(form “comment_form”)

<txp:hide>
<txp:comments_error wraptag="ul" break="li" />
</txp:hide>
<txp:if_comments_preview><txp:else />
<p>Add your comment using the form below. <br /> After writting, press the "Preview" button to check:</p></txp:if_comments_preview>
<!-- if there is an error, then inform user -->
<txp:if_comments_error>
    <txp:comments_error wraptag="ol" break="li" class="error_message" />
</txp:if_comments_error>

As you can see above, I disabled the first unordered list because it was displayed twice.

Best regards,

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#63 2011-09-17 17:08:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Pat64 wrote:

Revision 3591 doesn’t add the corresponding entries into language files

Dunno about the other points, but can I just jump in and ask if you’ve updated your Languages table for your installed language? Or added the translated strings to the RPC server? (are you a registered official translator? The new strings are defined).

If neither of those steps have been performed then you’ll continue to see the untranslated texts because — as you say — updates to the core don’t update your lang strings automatically.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-09-17 17:10:24)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#64 2011-09-17 18:29:23

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Hi Stef.

Just check the rpc language file. For my (prefered ;) language these entries ( and lot of others ) doesn’t exist. I’m not sure Jéremmie (the french official translator) is still active (since a long time ago).

If you accept me as French translator (I had some experience with other open source projects: slimstat, typolightWebCms (long time ago, but not actually for some reasons), Swiftlet cms, TXP plugins, etc.), I will be proud to help (although I think a good translation work must be done in groups of people and not only one for arbitrary reasons).

You have my email. Send me process informations.

Cheers,

Last edited by Pat64 (2011-09-17 18:50:19)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#65 2011-09-18 09:10:56

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi Pat,

I’ll look into your comments later today, I was refraining from adding styling for too many elements that actually don’t exist in the theme but the password field styling makes sense to add since it’s used quite commonly.

As Stef says regarding the language strings – new strings were added at r3591 and it will take time for them to be translated to other languages, so they will appear in English until a translation is done. As far as I know it’s a community led thing but I don’t know who oversees it or how you gain access to the language server.

Update

OK, I’ve added in password as a styled input (in fact I’ve added all input field types now just for completeness). It’s in the Github project and I’ll submit it to a TXP revision when I do the next code drop to Robert.

The comment_form you mention seems different from what I have in repo – maybe you were using a previous work in progress version of that file. Please check against the latest on Github and let me know if you have any problems.

Last edited by philwareham (2011-09-18 11:08:15)

#66 2011-09-18 15:33:05

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Hi Phil.

Thanks. I’m going to check your version available on Github.

Patrick.

#67 2011-09-18 16:14:33

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

@Phil

I well understand your choice about <txp:text item="..." /> tags in your template. But IMO this choice is back-office language dependant. So for multi-lingual websites, all texts displayed become erroneous until there are no features into core allowing the choice of language. For example, a kind of:

<txp:text item="my_text_to_be_displayed" lang="en" />

Where lang attribute could grab the corresponding language file installed from the database. That’s will be very cool, I think ;)

Cheers,

Patrick.

#68 2011-09-18 16:54:50

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hello again Pat,

Sorry, I’m not sure what you mean – the lang attribute is not currently an option for <txp:text/>. Maybe that’s something you can direct at the core developers instead of me.

The theme is designed to work on a single language site, same as the previous default theme. If a user wants to reuse the theme for multiple languages then they will need to do some additional coding themselves, and probably use the MLP plugin.

#69 2011-09-27 09:40:31

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

@Phil

The lang attribute is a feature request. That could be a very useful option for multi-languages websites.
I never use MLP plugin because we can do the same thing more easier with few tags.

Patrick.

#70 2011-11-08 02:58:47

zennit

So whats best way to get this working with ide, whats everyone using? hcg_templates or cnk_versioning? will future versions of textpattern have something like this built in?

#71 2011-12-16 18:05:09

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

This theme now has a new thread here

Board footer