#49 2011-09-02 09:45:19

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: New Default Theme

wet wrote:

All your theme are belong to us.

Having issues? Please report here.

Ow, already. I had a couple of things noted. Well, I’ll file issues then… :-).

Thanks Phil for working on this and Robert for landing it. The default theme was sorely in need of a refresh.

(Edit: formatting)

Last edited by phiw13 (2011-09-02 09:45:59)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#50 2011-09-02 09:50:53

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ll try to monitor any new SVN issues, but if users can also provide issue reports on Github that would also be a great help.

#51 2011-09-02 17:22:33

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Phil, as promised, a packaged up h5bp template.

h5bp_default_template as of commit 9bca5268fb956be5d9f1.

I waited till I knew that it was all finished, rather than release it and then have to keep updating it.

The Pages, Forms and Style are similarly named with just .h5bp at the end. So it can be tested on any install without overwriting existing work.

#52 2011-09-02 18:35:44

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

hcgtv wrote:

h5bp_default_template as of commit 9bca5268fb956be5d9f1

Offtopic, but is your site intentionally using Debian’s logo as the favicon? While loading the page I was even wondering if the link would redirect to Debian’s wiki (which would make no sense) or if the browser was somehow opening wrong location (current Firefox release even has matching “issue”). Debian is cool tho :)

I waited till I knew that it was all finished, rather than release it and then have to keep updating it.

Some could build a tool that auto-packages installable themes from sources as long as the theme sources uses certain structure or doesn’t change file locations. As Phil’s theme already uses very similar structure, just aliases and/or configuration options added to the installer could be enough. Or one way could be to change the installer plugin instead of the themes to match the structure, or change the plugin to read configuration files which state which file is which and where it goes.

Saves some hassle when it comes to updating the package with never version of the theme. With automated builder that fetches the files from the repository directly, that could be pretty automated process.

#53 2011-09-02 18:43:47

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Gocom wrote:

Offtopic, but is your site intentionally using Debian’s logo as the favicon?

The Debian favicon is the default favicon I use on new domains, since I’ve always hosted my sites using Debian. I usually change it to something else eventually, but I’ve kept it on the bertgarcia domains. Sorry to confuse you.

#54 2011-09-05 19:44:25

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Phil, I didn’t know if you wanted feedback here or at GitHub, so I’ll just post here.

A few more observations:

a) Category links in default form fail if your articles are assigned to a section that is not On front page.
b) Articles assigned to any section other than articles will never be listed on the Articles menu tab using the archive page. You could display the articles on the archive page if you use the txp:article_custom tag instead of txp:article.
c) txp:page_title just displays the site name on the home page, many of us use a combination of ifs to display site slogan also. (IMHO txp:page_title should display Your site name : site slogan on the home page as the default)

The way the default install is shipped, the template works fine, it’s just when you start adding more sections that things start to not work as advertised. It just might confuse new users, until they come on this forum and we explain the txp way to them.

Honestly, the old default theme had similar issues, just didn’t know how far we wanted to take this new template.

Last edited by hcgtv (2011-09-05 20:56:46)

#55 2011-09-06 09:09:00

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi Bert,

a) Category links in default form fail if your articles are assigned to a section that is not On front page.

I’m not sure how you could get round that, if someone wants to provide a solution then I’ll roll it into the theme. As you say, it currently works fine with the theme ‘as shipped’ – if a simple workaround exists then let me know.

b) Articles assigned to any section other than articles will never be listed on the Articles menu tab using the archive page. You could display the articles on the archive page if you use the txp:article_custom tag instead of txp:article.

This is the intended setup, if we set the archive to list every article from every section you’re going to get articles such as the static ‘about’ section article (if someone writes one) in the archive too which is probably not what users want. However, I have now added a comment to the page in case a user does want to display all.

c) txp:page_title just displays the site name on the home page, many of us use a combination of ifs to display site slogan also. (IMHO txp:page_title should display Your site name : site slogan on the home page as the default).

That is personal preference, not going to change it sorry – though your example is also exactly how I set up my sites for clients (although I do it the other way around for SEO reasons: slogan first then sitename, for example:

Droid maintenance and repairs, robot beauty treatments | animatron-clinic.com

#56 2011-09-06 15:06:21

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote:

That is personal preference, not going to change it sorry – though your example is also exactly how I set up my sites for clients (although I do it the other way around for SEO reasons: slogan first then sitename, for example:

Droid maintenance and repairs, robot beauty treatments | animatron-clinic.com

That’s the way I do it on my personal site, it’s done wonders for SEO, having the slogan first then the site name. Though it took Google quite a while to adjust to the new setting, after having the site using site name – site slogan since launch.

What I’ve started doing is calling a form to populate the site’s title using a txp:variable, then have it fed back to the page template.

#57 2011-09-08 00:38:29

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Using an example Els posted on this forum, I created a page_title.misc form:

<txp:if_section name=",">
	<txp:if_article_list>
		<txp:if_category>
			<txp:variable name="page-title" value='Category: <txp:category title="1" /> - <txp:site_name />' />
		<txp:else />
		<txp:if_author>
			<txp:variable name="page-title" value='Author: <txp:author /> - <txp:site_name />' />
		<txp:if_search>
			<txp:variable name="page-title" value='Search results: <txp:search_term /> - <txp:site_name />' />
			<txp:variable name="page-title" value='<txp:site_name />: <txp:site_slogan />' />
		</txp:if_search>
		</txp:if_author>
		</txp:if_category>
		<txp:variable name="page-title" value='<txp:title /> - <txp:site_name />' />
	</txp:if_article_list>
	<txp:if_article_list>
		<txp:variable name="page-title" value='<txp:site_name />: <txp:section title="1" />' />
		<txp:variable name="page-title" value='<txp:title /> - <txp:site_name />' />
	</txp:if_article_list>
</txp:if_section>
    <title><txp:variable name="page-title" /></title>

Here is the same form, with the ifs all one one line to do away with blank lines:

<txp:if_section name=","> <txp:if_article_list> <txp:if_category> <txp:variable name="page-title" value='Category: <txp:category title="1" /> - <txp:site_name />' /> <txp:else /> <txp:if_author> <txp:variable name="page-title" value='Author: <txp:author /> - <txp:site_name />' /> <txp:else /> <txp:if_search> <txp:variable name="page-title" value='Search results: <txp:search_term /> - <txp:site_name />' /> <txp:else /> <txp:variable name="page-title" value='<txp:site_name />: <txp:site_slogan />' /> </txp:if_search> </txp:if_author> </txp:if_category> <txp:else /> <txp:variable name="page-title" value='<txp:title /> - <txp:site_name />' /> </txp:if_article_list> <txp:else /> <txp:if_article_list> <txp:variable name="page-title" value='<txp:site_name />: <txp:section title="1" />' /> <txp:else /> <txp:variable name="page-title" value='<txp:title /> - <txp:site_name />' /> </txp:if_article_list> </txp:if_section>
    <title><txp:variable name="page-title" /></title>

It might be useful as a form to include in the extra-options-non-core folder.

#58 2011-09-08 06:08:29

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Cheers bert, I’ll include that in extras when I’m back from holiday next week

#59 2011-09-14 09:37:38

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@hcgtv

An amended version of the context sensitive page title example you supplied has now been added to optional extras folder. See here

Cheers, Phil

#60 2011-09-14 12:18:39

knowleswilliam
Website

This is a really great theme. I am learning to use textpattern and I saw this and I thought I would try it as a “first time user” instead of using the normal default theme. Just wanted to say great work.

Board footer