Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-07-29 11:14:16

masa

Multiple domains and ranking

I’m wondering whether it’s worth getting more than one domain name in terms of search engine ranking.

Say if you had a fruit delivery business Rolling Apples you’d want rollingapples.com, but you might also want a more descriptive domain name like for instance fruitdeliverylondon.com

To clarify I’m not talking about having separate websites for each domain, just a redirect, the main domain would be rollingapples.com

Will owning fruitdeliverylondon.com make any difference in terms of ranking?
Or would you consider it sufficient to use a prominent strapline of <h2>Fruit Delivery London</h2> on the site?

#2 2011-07-29 11:24:32

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: Multiple domains and ranking

As it’s just redirects likely not by that much. There is no supporting content linking to your site or anything. But it might help in other ways. You are taking the domains, and with that no competitors can get those domains. Competitors that might potentially push you down in the ranks.

When linking to the site (or specific part of these site) you can use the link that is most descriptive. For example if you have coupon or campaign going, you can use the domain like londonfruits4free.com to link to the specific page.

#3 2011-07-29 11:27:23

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Hi masa

in my readlings about SEO i think google will take only one domaine in his db and others domains will be noticed as Duplicate contents and will not be included in search results.

Cheers

#4 2011-07-31 05:21:38

masa

Thanks, that confirms my suspicions.

Board footer