Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2011-06-29 11:41:22

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: New admin-side theme

@Bloke

OK, I’ve added a project for the TXP5 admin structure proposals – there’s nothing there as yet of course but bookmark that project address and I’ll get some stuff on there in a week or so once I’ve got some paid work out the way.

txp-admin-structure

#62 2011-06-29 15:45:17

maverick
Website

Bloke wrote:

Ah yes, the pesky edit and list classes/IDs. Splattered without regard throughout the code. When I was going through it all, you wouldn’t believe the number of times I wished I had a digital Uzi with a little button on the back labelled “shred, while retaining backwards compatibility”.

Thinking aloud . . . .

This suggestion is probably a mute point since the next changes will be in Txp 5 rather than the current code base, and and there is more freedom to shake things up in regards to backward compatibility.

But in situations like above, in the case of classes, perhaps a transition could be (have been) created by adding a second class with the new desired name, and then let plugin and theme authors know the old classes were going to be phased out?

As plugins and themes were updated they could hook into the new classes and eventually the old classed could be deprecated entirely?

again – just thinking aloud

#63 2011-06-29 15:53:33

maverick
Website

Bloke wrote:

Sure, that’s the sort of thing we can do as plugin authors: put markup around our buttons to make them appear like the other twisty items.

The only one it looks strange in is Hive.

re: Hive – fair enough. Just was sharing one of things I do. Personally, I tend to like the consistency of having all of the elements under headings (twisties) in any theme. Though arguably that is less efficient by possibly requiring an extra click and using extra screen space. Especially when there is only a single element in the “twistie” group.

Last edited by maverick (2011-06-29 15:54:14)

#64 2011-06-29 16:00:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

maverick wrote:

adding a second class with the new desired name, and then let plugin and theme authors know the old classes were going to be phased out?

Wish I’d thought of that at the time. Dang!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#65 2011-06-29 16:00:57

artagesw
Website

philwareham wrote:

From experience, I’m not sure jQuery UI is the right course to take – it’s a bitch to reskin due to the overly complex CSS and would create some nightmares for theme creators. Something like jQuery Tools is probably more suited to TXP. Would have to check the licensing on it though I guess.

Their licence: “NO COPYRIGHTS OR LICENSES. DO WHAT YOU LIKE.”

#66 2011-06-29 16:03:11

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@maverick

Fair idea. Trouble is, without any documentation available, that extra set of classes will fragment plugin authors even more than they already are. Probably better to just accept that TXP4 is a bit messy and move on to publicly develop a new HTML structure well in advance of TXP5 actually shipping – with some sort of milestones in place as various decisions get locked down and agreed. Also document all those decisions clearly.

That would give plugin authors fair time to adjust their plugins so that when TXP5 finally ships there is not a load of broken/unusable plugins and by extension a load of unhappy end users (at least from a structural point of view).

That’s the thinking behind a Github project with all code stripped out except the admin-side HTML page structures. That could also be a testing ground for any jQuery stuff the devs decide to pursue.

That project could evolve into a basic, clean admin-side theme and UI elements as the structure is more finalised – always with customisation/flexibility/extensibility in mind so plugin authors and admin theme designers are not alienated or left out in the cold.

Last edited by philwareham (2011-06-29 16:04:46)

#67 2011-07-28 12:22:34

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

This theme is now residing on Github, and is a newer source codebase than the download packages. You can also download the latest stable version from there too.

I’ve started on initial support for small screens so if you want to test that the download the source version.

Last edited by philwareham (2011-07-28 12:22:51)

#68 2011-07-28 21:06:28

Destry
Website

maverick wrote: adding a second class with the new desired name, and then let plugin and theme authors know the old classes were going to be phased out?

Bloke wrote: Wish I’d thought of that at the time. Dang!

Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought this concept was introduced in The Road to TXP 5, under the aptly headed section, Come with me if you want to live.

#69 2011-07-30 00:45:36

maruchan
Website

I’ve started on initial support for small screens so if you want to test that the download the source version.

Wow. That’s quite impressive. The write screen looks like it was meant to be mobile from the start! On my iTouch some menus e.g. “Presentation” are missing so there’s just “Content” and “Logout” — is that intentional? I can see where it might be…

Also noticed that front-end editing with rvm_if_privileged isn’t working. I wonder if it’s due to the way iOS treats tabs or something. But I’d love to hear if anybody else has any luck with it.

Thanks, Phil!

Last edited by maruchan (2011-07-30 00:46:08)

#70 2011-07-30 01:38:40

maruchan
Website

Nevermind about rvm_priv…it started working. Terrific.

#71 2011-07-30 07:30:37

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

maruchan wrote:

On my iTouch some menus e.g. “Presentation” are missing so there’s just “Content” and “Logout” — is that intentional? I can see where it might be…

I’ve removed all the menus apart from content for small screens, as I don’t see many users wanting to do serious amounts of admin work on a mobile. The presentation menu would be pretty easy to implement though so I may put that in at some point. The others menus I will definitely not be tackling – the CSS is mindbendingly complex already due to having to find fixes/overrides for various plugins and stuff.

I’ve only completed the write and article list pages for mobile so far, and halfway through formatting the categories page. I also need to investigate how/if txpmobile has a solution for files and images since it is now on github.

I’ll be back on this hobby project soon as well as the proposed structural changes for txp5 admin area now that I’ve got the new front side theme pretty much where I want it.

#72 2011-07-30 14:44:49

Destry
Website

I could have swore I asked a question about posting feedback here or in github, but I can’t find that thread to save my life. Fack!

Anyway, I don’t really git how to post feedback in the hub, so I’ll do it here.

Client comment was about the color contrast on fonts in the side columns. The blue on gray is too hard to discern for some eyes. Also, it’s too difficult to tell the when a side link is active or not…it needs more distinction. For example when you have a given Form active, the name goes black, but it’s really not distinguishable that much from the other blue links in the list.

I think if you made active links with a yellowish tint on the background and black text, that would set them out just fine.

On a different note: Since using the Hive theme, I can’t get either bold or italic formatting to work. It doesn’t matter whether it’s via Textile or directly marked up with HTML. All other formatting seems to be okay. Any reason this might be a Hive thing? I’m at a complete loss about what’s going on.

Board footer