Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-07-10 11:22:07

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: xhtml to html5

philwareham wrote:

I think you’d want to use <del> to replace <strike> in html5 not a span with a class – that has no semantic meaning.

True, I didn’t know about del. This would make porting even easier:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#14 2011-07-10 13:45:42

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I recently put together a page of Textile elements while working on the new Textpattern theme…

Here is the page.

Here is the W3C validation

As you can see it’s not a complete failure – looks like Textile 2.2 uses <del> instead of <strike> already. Table summary attribute is deprecated but is so very rarely used that it’s not worth bothering with. We all know about <acronym> anyway.

As a side note: Might want to keep an eye on what happens with certain rel attributes – the rel="home" for example that is generated by <txp:link_to_home /> tags is not currently in the spec, though I think it has been proposed and may well be accepted.

#15 2011-07-10 15:09:13

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote:

So there’s no automated method for now.

I would suggest just exporting the posts, and then reimporting them, but I guess we failed to make the business case.

#16 2011-07-10 15:29:39

colak
Admin

michaelkpate wrote:

I would suggest just exporting the posts, and then reimporting them, but I guess we failed to make the business case.

I agree with Robert. I think that a mysql search and replace might be easier.

Yiannis
——————————

#17 2011-07-10 15:58:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote:

I think that a mysql search and replace might be easier.

I agree. I’ll look into updating smd_where_used with the replace functionality as soon as I can. No promises, because I don’t know how to factor it into the interface (suggestions welcome!)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#18 2011-07-10 16:28:10

colak
Admin

No hurry:)

I do have an interface suggestion though.

At the moment you have

Find <textfield> <Find button>

which it could graduate to

Find <find textfield> replace with <replace textfield> <Find button> <replace button>

having said this, I seem to remember that there is a search/.replace plugin already. I’ll search for it:)

Yiannis
——————————

#19 2011-07-10 16:53:26

colak
Admin

i wrote:)

having said this, I seem to remember that there is a search/.replace plugin already. I’ll search for it:)

Found it. I’m far from sure that it will work though.

Yiannis
——————————

#20 2011-07-10 17:00:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote:

Find <find textfield> replace with <replace textfield> <Find button> <replace button>

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s possible but I wanted to make it an explicit multi-step process. My reason is that you might search for a string like ‘custom’ (hoping to find custom fields) but it also finds sentences in your articles with the word accustomed in them. If you were to replace straight away with all found instances, you’d have to go back and undo some of the articles.

That might be a silly example because you’d probably switch off article searches before doing it (unless perhaps you knew that some articles contained custom_field entries that you wanted to change?). But the point is that doing it without first seeing what is going to change is a little dangerous.

So I’d like to split the functionality:

1. search first
  2. see results
  3. select which results to affect (checkboxes against each item maybe? Perhaps clicking the column heading will select all the items in that column?)
  4. select the ‘replace’ action (it’d remember your last action so you’d only have to do this once)
  5. type in the replace string
  6. click ‘Go’ to carry out the action on the selected resources

Of course, ‘replace’ would be one of a few actions. Another might be ‘delete’. Another could be ‘re-save’ (handy for articles, not so useful for Forms, Pages and Stylesheets, though I don’t know right now how to limit its use to only articles: the interface isn’t exactly geared up for it so perhaps I’ll have to rethink the layout a bit). Again, any suggestions on how to factor this kind of functionality into the plugin greatly appreciated — designers, submit any mockups you may dream up!

I seem to remember that there is a search/.replace plugin already. I’ll search for it:)

Yeah, lam_search_replace (lam_replace?) but like you I don’t know how well it works nowadays.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-07-10 17:02:26)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer