Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-07-03 12:55:02

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

TXP pop up help need some white space…

Opening one of those pop-up windows with Textpattern help pages is always a painful experience. The text is glued to the edge of the window.

At the minimum, the stylesheet at

http://rpc.textpattern.com/help/style.css

should have a little bit of padding on the <body> (.5em would be a good start).

While I’m there, may I suggest changing the font-family value ? Calibri is a nice font, but it has a pretty small aspect ratio / x-height and at 12px is very hard to read for normal human beings with tired, worn-out eyes.
Suggestion: just specify ‘sans-serif’ and call it good.

Thanks,
uncle grumpy.

(I suspect nobody has ever looked at that stylesheet for the past 10 years or so)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2011-07-03 21:48:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: TXP pop up help need some white space…

phiw13 wrote:

(I suspect nobody has ever looked at that stylesheet for the past 10 years or so)

I concur. In fact I don’t even know where to find that stylesheet: I guess it’s a file whose path is hard-coded into the RPC server return stream. I don’t appear to have access to that part of the server, but someone else will be able to find it I’m sure.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2011-07-04 04:22:28

GugUser

phiw13 wrote:

Calibri was released in 2005 … ;-)

Nothing against your argument, just a comment: In Safari, for example, I can see white space, the browser sets for body 8px margin-left and margin-right. It depends of the browser because the CSS has no reset.

#4 2011-07-04 04:47:11

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Just a fwiw:

GugUser wrote:

… the browser sets for body 8px margin-left and margin-right. It depends of the browser because the CSS has no reset.

Uh, no, the stylesheet sets a margin on body

body { margin: 2em auto; width: 32em; /* etc */ }

auto computes to 0 when width is > or = to viewport width. You probably were looking at a help screen that has very little content and doesn’t trigger a scrollbar.

—-

Bloke wrote:

I don’t appear to have access to that part of the server, but someone else will be able to find it I’m sure.

I hope so :-). Those help screens have lacked love for a long time, I think. I think Pedro did some work on it, ages ago, and Dean added Calibri at one point (that sounds something for him to do)

I sometimes wonder if they should be dropped in favour of direct links to the wiki based documentation – that is at least reasonably well maintained and up to date.

#5 2011-07-04 08:18:49

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote:

I sometimes wonder if they should be dropped in favour of direct links to the wiki based documentation

Yeah, the RPC server is a bit of a minefield. But the one thing it does have going for it is that the help screens are displayed in the local language if a translation exists before falling back to English. That’s something that might be trickier to accomplish using a wiki URL (though I’ve not thought it through and don’t know MW very well).

Last edited by Bloke (2011-07-04 08:24:46)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2011-07-04 09:45:01

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

phiw13 wrote:

uncle grumpy.

Better now?

#7 2011-07-04 10:11:35

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote:

Better now?

uncle happy ! Thanks.
(I bet my friend ~d who alerted m about this will not be unhappy anymore.)

Bloke wrote:

Yeah, the RPC server is a bit of a minefield. But the one thing it does have going for it is that the help screens are displayed in the local language if a translation exists before falling back to English. That’s something that might be trickier to accomplish using a wiki URL (though I’ve not thought it through and don’t know MW very well).

Hmm, yeah. Each wiki article has it’s own feed (that is e.g. what Apple uses for Dictionary.app). But I don’t know if this can be worked out for localisation.

Board footer