Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-06-10 19:16:04

mrdale
Website

The Sacred Lawn...

Been getting far too many requests to stay off the grass. How do I make it stop.

#2 2011-06-10 19:32:52

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: The Sacred Lawn...

What the elk? Lol. The grass is a lie. You should forget your childhood dreams, and face the boring reality. If this weather continues, soon the grass is dead anyway — I mean it’s a lie, not dead ;)

#3 2011-06-10 19:41:19

mrdale
Website

// This place ain't no good for you, son.
   die(gTxt('get_off_my_lawn'));

grumpy old man on porch

#4 2011-06-10 19:47:43

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Is the bouncer giving problems? I would suggest posting about it, in detail, to the issue tracker. There is still time to angry ape mob on it like a boss.

#5 2011-06-10 21:19:17

els

How did you end up on that lawn anyway? No wonder they’re angry.

#6 2011-06-11 06:59:40

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

1. Update to the 4.4.1 release candidate
  2. Report exact message. This includes two important details (step, event)
  3. Report detailed clicks and steps which led you to this message

#7 2011-06-13 21:56:20

mrdale
Website

get_off_my_lawn: form, form_save

OK, so one of my installs sends up the message mentioned above sporadically when I save a form, page or style. I’m making use of lots of custom plugins and am using mem_self_register/ign_password_protect.

if I hit the back button and refresh and redo my change it’ll mostly perform the function I was originally attempting.

#8 2011-06-13 22:13:46

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

mrdale wrote:

get_off_my_lawn: form, form_save

Hmmmm, self-reg and ign_pw shouldn’t affect the admin side when saving forms/pages/styles. I wonder if one of the plugins is causing grief, though that wouldn’t explain why it was different on the second attempt. Care to list your plugins, or post your diagnostics?

Random stab-in-the-dark #1: upm_save_new?

Last edited by Bloke (2011-06-13 22:14:14)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2011-06-14 15:14:36

mrdale
Website

Yeah, I always run upm_save_new (make it core, he whispers). Lemme try disabling.

#10 2011-06-15 08:54:46

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

mrdale kindly furnished me with a login to the site in question and I’ve been hammering it this morning. I’ve had no lawn-based interruptions from the grumpy neighbours. And I’ve really tried.

I have clicked on forms, pages, and styles and saved them immediately; sometimes trying to do it faster than the browser can finish loading the page fully, in case there was a problem if the token wasn’t fully loaded on the page and the form was being submitted without it. I’ve tried waiting for 10 minutes or so before submitting a Form in case the token expires or something. I also tried subtly altering some of the forms (just in the HTML comments!) and saving to try and trip it up. And I’ve used upm_save_new many times in the process.

Nada.

This is all on FF 4.0.1Win, in case that has any bearing on things.

I’m not saying that mrdale is delusional — we all know he already is :-p — and I’m sure it’s falling over under some circumstances, it’s just that at the moment I can’t replicate those circumstances. If it happens again to you mrdale, please make a note of exactly which form/page/style it was, and the contents you were trying to save (you should be able to retrieve it with a browser Back and then copy, at least in Firefox). That might give us something to go on.

I’ll carry on testing to see if I can figure out under what conditions it triggers Mr Grumpy. Perhaps I’ll try Chrome next, which is as close to Safari (webkit) as I can get on Windoze.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#11 2011-06-15 11:33:30

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

… and not 10 minutes after posting my last message I tried it in Chrome and got a flurry of 5 or 6 angry neighbour messages over the course of a few minutes. Seemingly random as well — nothing to do with the particular Stylesheet or Page I was saving, not size dependent or anything like that. I switched back to Firefox and couldn’t replicate it there, then back to Chrome and haven’t had any problems since.

Now, this install differs, I believe in two ways from ones I’ve tested in the past:

1) (I think) it’s multi-site — will verify with mrdale when he wakes up
2) It has a lot of users, although only 6 are active

I’m going to try and test a theory that it mght be to do with other users being online at the same time and/or accessing the resource being edited. It’s a (very) long shot, and I can’t see why that would make a difference, but the random nature of this phenomenon smacks of things outside a single sphere of influence. I wonder if I had a problem earlier because somebody else logged in for those few minutes when I was getting the finger from Mr Angry.

If I get no joy there I’ll see if I can muse over whether the fact it’s multi-site might have any bearing on things. Again, can’t see how but I’m not ruling anything out.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-06-15 11:34:19)

#12 2011-06-15 11:35:53

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Maybe this would be an indication of one user name concurrently used from more than one client browser.

Board footer