Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-06-09 13:54:59

zero
Website

Gobbinland

Gobbinland is a not-for-profit community website about Gobbins, Gobbiners and Gobbinland. Gobbinland is in Oswaldtwistle, Accrington, Lancashire.

The site is designed in HTML5 and uses the great Adi Mobile plugin to respond or adapt to different screen widths. I have had no complaints so far but if it breaks in your device, please let me know. Also crucial to site design is SMD Thumbnail which allows delivery of different size images depending on screen widths, thus cutting bandwidth. It’s also real easy to use.

Faux Absolute Positioning is my preferred layout method because it is pretty rock solid and can be easily adjusted for all kinds of changes. There are 4 styles used for 4 ranges of screen width, the first based on 320px width for mobiles and the others being additions to this. Using FAP helped make this quite easy. It also appears to have the added bonus of not needing an extra stylesheet for Internet Explorer, although I haven’t tested on IE6 so it probably doesn’t look so good in that, but if users still persist with IE6 then it’s their tough luck.

Other plugins used are: smd_short_url-0.21, adi_mobile-0.1, zem_contact_lang-4.0.3.6, zem_contact_reborn-4.0.3.20, smd_if-0.9, soo_if_frontpage-0.1.8, smd_fuzzy_find-0.21m, rvm_mail_comments-0.1m, smd_horizon-0.1, jk_neighbour-0.46, smd_thumbnail-0.20, adi_notes-1.1, rvm_css-0.6, rah_sitemap-1.2, smd_lib-0.33, smd_admin_themes-0.26, bot_privs-0.3.2, bot_write_tab_customize-0.7, esq_adminsplash-1.01m
Admin-side theme: hive_reloaded 4.4.0

Thanks to all plugin authors, I owe you.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#2 2011-06-09 17:05:05

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Gobbinland

Hi Peter

Looks good!! I would check it’s validation though. Front page has 9 errors

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2011-06-09 17:25:10

zero
Website

Thanks, Yiannis. Those meta tag errors have given me something to think about. Last time I checked they didn’t show up so I hope they’re just temporary.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#4 2011-06-09 17:41:54

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Maybe you do not need the closing slash?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2011-06-09 18:49:51

zero
Website

The closing slash is consistent with XHTML syntax I use. I tried it without and get exactly the same errors. No, the problem is that <meta name="geo.position" and some other meta tags, also <link rel="home" and some other link tags in the head are now being flagged with errors which weren’t there before. The W3C validator has become stricter, or it’s just temporary (because html5 is still experimental). I’ll have a deeper look at it sometime, but I think it’s OK for the time being. The validator.nu gives me even more errors, not even allowing <link rel="canonical" which it says is not registered, like the others. There’s always something…

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer