Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-05-04 20:28:31

oliverker
Plugin Author
Website

[request] Manual SEO Plugin

Quite a few of my clients are starting to hire SEO companies so research keywords and all the usual and although TXP methods of page titles and descriptions can be auto generated from titles and excerpts, it is not quite the level of control the SEO guys want – they like a special little area to put the words they want.

The main areas are the home page, Sections and Categories description and page title are a pain to control if you want to keep the actual titles generic for navigation links etc, they need to be more descriptive for page titles…

So is it possible to create something like the attached pictures

It would also be advantageous to add it for articles under the excerpt… much like wordpress does.

Then I envisage the plug in to look like this…

<txp:XXX_seo_title />
<txp:XXX_seo_desc />

and then have the flexibility to have a fall back incase they are not filled in.

<txp:XXX_if_seo_title >
<txp:XXX_seo_title />
<txp:else />
<txp:title /> | <txp:site_name />
</txp:XXX_seo_title >

and so on for description

OR Could this be done on one page for them to log in and alter without looking around for everything??

Thanks

#2 2011-05-04 21:00:39

pieman
Website

Re: [request] Manual SEO Plugin

I’d like to see this kind of functionality too.

Meantime, if the sections and categories are fixed, you could use the adi_variables tab to allow them to edit meta titles and descriptions. Works best with shorter snippets because you’re limited to single line text inputs, but it’s a decent option.

Then you could just make a custom inputs/textareas in the Write tab with glz_custom_fields for article based meta.

#3 2011-05-04 21:38:07

gomedia
Plugin Author

The latest version of adi_menu has alternative section title functionality, which might help with the Section SEO title bit?

#4 2011-05-04 21:54:09

jakob
Admin
Website

Some further – untested/potential – ideas:

• esq_sectionsort offers an additional field under sections for use as a sort criteria. While adapting it to do the same for categories, it occurred to me that the plugin could potentially be expanded to create section/category custom fields for other uses. Mitch is already onto it I believe.
  • You could use custom fields for the article-related meta information and adi’s new adi_matrix to make a multi-edit page with just the seo-relevant custom fields. I’ve not tried the plugin yet, but judging by the description it looks possible.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2011-05-04 21:55:20

uli

Oliver, I didn’t have SEO in mind when I posted this one, but most of what you describe are things esq_section_sort surely will do when cain-mi/Mitch has the time to update the plugin. Mitch has plans to merge it with a category_sort plugin jakob has derived from section_sort.

The only thing I see missing from what I know about the plans is a conditional tag. Just ask over there, he’s beeen open-minded for inspiration and suggestions.

Edit: Ah, jakob was faster.

Last edited by uli (2011-05-04 21:56:01)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#6 2011-05-04 22:07:03

oliverker
Plugin Author
Website

All seem like good ideas, but not quite right, and maybe too many plugins to achieve the effect – its always been one of the things thats bugged me about txp is the SEO – Im more interested in content, functionality and navigation web making a website, but seem to be stumped to find a simple solution for a simple task when the company brings in marketing and SEO people.

posted to the esq_sectionsort forum
and trying adi_matrix for something else

Cheers Guys

Last edited by oliverker (2011-05-04 22:37:59)

#7 2011-05-04 22:29:53

gomedia
Plugin Author

At the risk of starting a bun fight – isn’t there already a field for article SEO? It’s called “Body” ;)

… and “Excerpt” is always good for a “little bit extra”.

#8 2011-05-04 22:32:39

oliverker
Plugin Author
Website

gomedia wrote:

At the risk of starting a bun fight – isn’t there already a field for article SEO? It’s called “Body” ;)
… and “Excerpt” is always good for a “little bit extra”.

I’m with you : ) – it’s just a niggle with clients and ‘SEO people’ It is just the category and sections that are missing a defining paragraph or title

EDIT Title = by that I mean I often use the current title for the section link title, which might be Portfolio but this could be a portfolio of property, graphic design etc… so the section title needs to be better explained

Last edited by oliverker (2011-05-04 22:41:11)

#9 2011-05-05 04:21:53

radneck
Plugin Author

I tend to agree that the most significant part of SEO is the actual content of the page – i.e. for TXP that would be the body. However I think that the secondary meta field that has been suggested for esq_section_sort would be perfect for this. I do have to apologise as it’s been quite some time since I said I was going to have it finished. Hopefully not too much longer :)

#10 2011-05-06 15:51:53

masa

Would rah_metas help with some of the issues?

#11 2011-05-06 16:00:56

oliverker
Plugin Author
Website

masa wrote:

Would rah_metas help with some of the issues?

I don’t think so, it’s mainly works for articles, it is a place to put meta data for sections and descriptions that is the main thing I’m looking for.

#12 2011-07-16 13:14:04

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

Oli, assign sticky articles to sections eventually, then use their titles for the seo section titles and their excerpts (textile off) for the meta description.
To work similarly with individual articles, again use excerpt with textile of for meta description and one custom field (named “seo title” or whatever) for the seo title.

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

Board footer