Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#565 2011-04-01 17:38:47

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

Re: gbp_permanent_links

They really needs to be a tutorial but there is one at present.

By the looks of of your RewriteRule it looks like you are trying to integrated with MLP, am I correct? In the last week I’ve done some work on MLP preparing for gbp_pl integration which might be what you are after…

Usually you won’t need to touch the “destination” settings unless you are doing something quite different.

When you say nothing meaningful what isn’t as you expect? Maybe send me some debugging output (see the gbp_pl preferences, set the production status to debugging then debug is outputted in an HTML comment) and I’ll see if I can help.

#566 2011-04-01 18:06:25

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

graeme wrote:

By the looks of of your RewriteRule it looks like you are trying to integrated with MLP, am I correct?

Yes, the site already uses MLP with pomp, triumph, and reveling!

Usually you won’t need to touch the “destination” settings unless you are doing something quite different.

Okay, cool. It’s not clear what input is needed just looking at it. If I can figure out how the interface works, I’d be glad to write some contextual help messages that could appear “on focus”.

When you say nothing meaningful what isn’t as you expect?

Here’s an example of a section-specific category link without using any permanent link rules:

http://{site-url}/{l10n-lang}/{section-name}/?c={category-name}

That link was generated by this tag:

<txp:category link="1" section='<txp:section/>' title="1"/>

And when I go to that link, it shows me all the articles in the section tagged with the specified category and language code. My section landing page for that section has if_category conditionals to show a list of articles in the category context.

By comparison, if I enable gbp_permanent_links and create a new rule with the section/category/ schema, here’s what happens. The txp:category tag above generates a link like this:

http://{site-url}/{l10n-lang}/{section-name}/{category-name}/

That’s exactly what I wanted!

But when I click on that link, Textpattern acts like we’re not on a category page— it shows the section landing page as if the if_category conditional evaluated as false.

Maybe send me some debugging output (see the gbp_pl preferences, set the production status to debugging then debug is outputted in an HTML comment) and I’ll see if I can help.

Do you think the debugging info would help? I just thought I didn’t understand how to use the plugin and I was doing it wrong, but if you want the debugging info I can post it.

Thank you!

Edit: Fix textile.

Last edited by johnstephens (2011-04-01 18:07:17)

#567 2011-04-12 06:27:29

whocarez
Plugin Author
Website GitHub Twitter

Hello,
I´m using MLP with three languages and I wonder if it is possible to replace the slash after the language code with a underscore or a dash by using gbp_permanent_links with some modifications?
Would be interesting for SEO to have urls like en_article_title or en-article_title instead of en/article_title.
Thanks for any hint …

#568 2011-04-18 16:50:57

beechy

Hi I am using gbp_admin_library 0.4.669 and gbp_permanent_links 0.14.7.

I have just updated to Textpattern 4.4.0.

Everything was working fine on the previous version of textpattern. However after the upgrade to 4.4.0

gbp_permanent_links/textpattern no longer seems to recognise categories using clean urls when I am on a category page i.e www.websitename/blog/category-name

<txp:category/> shows nothing and <txp:if_category> does not work when I’m on a category page that has a gbp_permanent_links redirect setup. Both <txp:if_category> and <txp:category/> work fine on the actual article page. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have the usual – section/category/title/ redirect setup

so my blog articles now show as /blog/category/article-name

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by beechy (2011-04-18 17:20:25)

#569 2011-04-18 20:03:35

els

Does this help?

#570 2011-04-18 20:06:31

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I solved this problem by using .htaccess Rewrites instead of gbp_permanent_links.

#571 2011-05-26 22:25:09

oliverker
Plugin Author
Website

johnstephens wrote:

I solved this problem by using .htaccess Rewrites instead of gbp_permanent_links.

Care to share John?

Im trying to use gbp_permanent_links and MLP together, all works kind of ok, until I try switch languages (english to french) using <txp:l10n_lang_list/> where it changes the the url apart from the language slug.

So I have

Site.com/en/{section}/{category}/English-title

but trying to change lanuage it links to

Site.com/en/{section}/{category}/French-title — instead of — Site.com/fr/{section}/{category}/French-title

which returns a 404, swaping the en to fr does work but have to do it manually or go back to the home pacge click the link to fr and follow the links again…

Any help appreciated.

#572 2011-06-06 13:58:22

oliverker
Plugin Author
Website

oliverker wrote:

Im trying to use gbp_permanent_links and MLP together, all works kind of ok, until I try switch languages (english to french) using <txp:l10n_lang_list/> where it changes the the url apart from the language slug.

I will have a job using these two plug-ins coming up soon – could someone who could help please get in touch with a quote to make them work

Thanks

#573 2011-06-20 21:04:55

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Sorry it took me so long to come back to this. Here’s what I did:

RewriteRule ^(.*)/(.*)/topic/(.*)$ $1/index.php?s=$2&c=$3 [L]

The first (.*) pattern finds the language requested, and the second finds the section requested. The third search pattern finds the category requested. These correspond to $1, $2, and $3 in the second URL string, which has all the info Textpattern needs to select a template and display the content.

I have a few other custom URL schemas that use different templates, and all of them use .htaccess instead of gpb_permanent_links.

I hope this helps.

#574 2011-07-05 08:34:17

tye
Website

OK – This is the first time I have looked at this plugin because I was too scared :)

I just read 58 pages and keep seeing the same problem coming up that I’m having, but with no clear fix (unless I am asleep and missed it).

I have these rules setup with precedence:

Section1 section/category/title/ 101
Section2 section/title/ 100
Section3 section/category/title/ 100
Section4 section/title/ 100

I am using <txp:section_list /> and <txp:category_list /> to create my navigation links.

The Categories only show when in Sections 1 & 3.

I’m using ?messy_urls in admin

join_pretext_to_pagelinks is set to yes – in fact my whole preferences are set to the following:

n n n y y y n n y n y

All Section urls work perfectly – section/

The Category & Article urls work perfectly in Sections 1 & 3. section/category/ or section/category/article-title (or

The problem lies when you move from Sections 1 or 3 to Sections 2 or 4 after viewing an article or category – the category is still appended to the end of the url – which is what I don’t want at all :(

I have read references to using <txp:gbp_disable_permlinks> where you don’t want the gbp_permanent_links rules to work – but where do I put this when using <txp:section_list /> and <txp:category_list /> and would this revert to messy urls (because that is the only setting which my rules work on)?

Using txp 4.4.1, php 5.3.6, gbp_permanent_links · 0.14.7

Any tips would greatly appreciated

PS – many thanks Graeme, this plugin has got potential light year mileage (once I get it figured out).

Last edited by tye (2011-07-05 08:35:38)

#575 2011-07-06 02:46:27

tye
Website

Well – I seem to have this working now :) But I’m not sure if its correct

I had to replace txp:category_list with txp:cbs_category_list, I turned all gbp_permanent_links Preferences to ‘No’ and kept my txp Permanent link mode to ?=messy

I didn’t use <txp:gbp_disable_permlinks> anywhere

#576 2011-07-06 03:46:57

radneck
Plugin Author

Good job getting it working. I had a similar issue and had to resort to hacking up the plugin.
I think the main reason for some of these issues is changed in the latest version of TXP which this plugin hasn’t been updated for.

Board footer