Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#97 2011-04-12 12:20:00

jstubbs
Website

Re: Feedback for the Textpattern 4.4.0 release

Thanks Ruud. test.php returns the same error: Fatal error: Call to undefined function strftime() in /home/site/public_html/test.php on line 3 so I guess the web host has some answering to do.

I’ll report back in case it is a TXP issue, although I am sure its just a crappy host (not mine!). Thanks.

#98 2011-04-13 14:07:31

ecklesroad
Plugin Author
Website

ax wrote:

Textile may not be the latest version

I’m getting this also when saving/publishing articles. Also, there seems to be a bug in this version of textile that will not wrap header tags properly. It’s not closing the tags.

h4(some_class). Some text

is now being rendered

<h4 class="some_class">Some text<h4>

#99 2011-04-13 14:17:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ecklesroad wrote:

Textile may not be the latest version

Entirely possible. For now you can grab the latest version from the Textile repo.

Also, there seems to be a bug in this version of textile that will not wrap header tags properly.

Are you sure it’s not another plugin interfering with the tags? I can’t replicate this.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#100 2011-04-13 14:25:33

ecklesroad
Plugin Author
Website

It seems to be only happening with h1-6 tags….along with that ugly depreciated error

I’m running joh_admin_markitup, lam_image_uploader, rss_unlimited_categories & upm_savenew on the install were this is noticed.

“source”:view-source:www.mnresortsales.com/listings/agents line line 157 and 159 for example

Bloke wrote:

Entirely possible. For now you can grab the latest version from the Textile repo.

That did the trick I think!

Last edited by ecklesroad (2011-04-13 14:37:55)

#101 2011-04-20 01:57:20

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I upgraded a site that uses ign_password_protect a few weeks ago, but it didn’t occur to me to try logging in using the ign login form. This week I got a few password-reset requests, and I didn’t think much of it until one user notified me that his new password isn’t working. I imagine this has to do with the new password encryption in TXP 4.4.0. If that’s so, is there any way I can manually edit ign_password_protect v0.5b9 so that it will work with the latest Textpattern?

I might yet post this query in the plugin support thread, but I know that Jeremy has a lot going on right now, and another user already raised a similar question there.

Thanks!

#102 2011-04-26 12:41:54

marjoleink

All new here:

• brand-new Textpattern user (evaluating, not easily discouraged)
  • brand-new forum member (after jumping through some hoops)
  • brand-new domain (registered yesterday)
  • brand-new install with 4.4.0 using multi-domain setup with admin on separate subdomain

I ran into a few curiosities and may have some suggestions:

First of all, I made sure the zone files for the domain were in place and I could reach it from the browser. No problem there though I realize it may not be reachable from everywhere yet.

I used the instructions given in the README for multi-site install, picking the admin in subdomain method because I could secure that with SSL (and didn’t call the subdomain ‘admin’ :)).

Since the instructions mentioned symlinks here and there I uploaded the archive to the server and unpacked it there, resulting in a ‘textpattern-4.4.0’ folder. I created a symlink to that called ‘textpattern’ so that in principle a future update could live in its own folder and I’d only have to update the symlink (and copy over the sites directory tree, of course).

Then I made sure the httpd.conf files (included in a tree under DirectAdmin) had the suggested information for this multi-site setup.

Started install from https://myadmin.mydomain/setup/ and basically everything went without a hitch. Until…

1. The README gives some hints about links that are wrong in this multi-domain setup – I suspect this could be improved

2. Worse: Going to my new site’s homepage, I saw a bunch of errors referring to database problems; the partial page below that was completely unstyled (raw HTML).

The errors were:

Warning: Unknown column ‘load_order’ in ‘order clause’ select name, code, version from nultxp_plugin as txp_plugin where status = 1 AND type IN (0,1) order by load_order in /home/memyselfandi/textpattern-4.4.0/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php on line 89

Tag error: <txp:article_custom section=’<txp:section />’ wraptag=“ul” break=“li”> -> Textpattern Warning: Unknown column ‘Expires’ in ‘field list’
select *, unix_timestamp(Posted) as uPosted, unix_timestamp(Expires) as uExpires, unix_timestamp(LastMod) as uLastMod from nultextpattern as textpattern where 1=1 and Status = 4 and Posted <= now() and (now() <= Expires or Expires = ’0000-00-00 00:00:00’) and Section IN (‘default’) order by Posted desc limit 0, 10 on line 89

Tag error: <txp:article limit=“5” /> -> Textpattern Warning: Unknown column ‘Expires’ in ‘where clause’
select count(*) from nultextpattern as textpattern where 1=1 and Status = 4 and Posted <= now() and (now() <= Expires or Expires = ’0000-00-00 00:00:00’) and Section != ‘about’ on line 89

Tag error: <txp:article limit=“5” /> -> Textpattern Warning: Unknown column ‘Expires’ in ‘field list’
select *, unix_timestamp(Posted) as uPosted, unix_timestamp(Expires) as uExpires, unix_timestamp(LastMod) as uLastMod from nultextpattern as textpattern where 1=1 and Status = 4 and Posted <= now() and (now() <= Expires or Expires = ’0000-00-00 00:00:00’) and Section != ‘about’ order by Posted desc limit 0, 5 on line 89

Using a database client I checked the database and found the referred-to columns all present

3. Wondering what could be the problem, I went to my admin URL, and found that that displayed fine (styled, too!). Went to the Diagnostics tab, and found a bunch of errors reported (more about this later), none of which seemed related to the “missing” database columns.

Back to my home page, I reloaded the page … and the errors were gone. Still unstyled though. And all links to the admin area are simply wrong while the category links did not work.

4. Back to diagnostics.
  • First thing that stood out was a missing .htaccess file. I copied the suggested content, created a .htaccess file and put that in the sites/mydomain/public folder
  • It was also complaining about missing the Files folder (it was not missing, it was somewhere else!); I corrected the File Directory Path in the Advanced Preferences
  • I also made sure the Site Url (Basic tab) was correct: it was, but Diagnostics thinks it should be the admin Url…

Checking my homepage again, all links to Admin area are still just as wrong, but now links to categories, sections and comments actually work.

5. I’m left with a bunch of problems reported in Diagnostics, some of which I can tell are simply ‘bogus’ because it doesn’t know there’s a separate admin subdomain, but not all. And my home page is still unstyled while the admin area is styled (nicely).

Here’s the current output:

Pre-flight check: (path obscured)

1. Web Domain DNS lookup fails: nul.lt ?
  2. /[path]/textpattern/textpattern/setup/ still exists ?
  3. Missing files: /[path]/textpattern/textpattern/../index.php ?
  4. Site URL preference might be incorrect: [admin].nul.lt ?
  5. Clean URL test failed. ?

Diagnostic info: (path obscured)

Textpattern version: 4.4.0 (r3514)
Last Update: 2011-04-26 07:15:57/2011-03-26 19:03:34
Document root: /[path]/textpattern/sites/nul.lt/admin (/[path]/textpattern-4.4.0/sites/nul.lt/admin)
$path_to_site: /[path]/textpattern-4.4.0/sites/nul.lt/public
Textpattern path: /[path]/textpattern/textpattern
Permanent link mode: section_id_title
Temporary directory path: /tmp
Site URL: nul.lt
PHP version: 5.2.9
GD Image Library: version bundled (2.0.34 compatible), supported formats: GIF, JPG, PNG
Server TZ: America/New_York
Server Local Time: 2011-04-26 07:50:23
DST enabled?: 0
Automatically adjust DST setting?: 0
Time Zone: America/Caracas (-14400)
MySQL: 5.0.45-community
Locale: en_US.UTF-8
Server: Apache/2
Apache version: Apache/2
PHP Server API: apache2handler
RFC 2616 headers: 
Server OS: Linux 2.6.18-028stab068.9
Admin-side theme: remora 4.4.0

Pre-flight check: 
------------------------
Web Domain DNS lookup fails: nul.lt
/[path]/textpattern/textpattern/setup/ still exists
Missing files: 
	/[path]/textpattern/textpattern/../index.php
Site URL preference might be incorrect: [admin].nul.lt
Clean URL test failed.
------------------------

.htaccess file contents: 
------------------------
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^(.+) - [PT,L]

RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php

------------------------

Starting with the pre-flight check:

1. What is it using for DNS lookup?? The domain resolves fine for me – and actually (as a result of mentioning the domain on identi.ca) Yahoo’s crawler has found it already, too. I know it may not have fully propagated yet, but I wonder where it gets this result…

2. [bogus] It’s outside the webroot and should still exists since this is used (via symlink) by the installer in multi-site mode. The cause here is the admin area seems to have no concept of multi-site installs (though it obviously works).

3. [bogus] The index.php used is the one in the sites/mydomain/public folder, the one referred to here was actually removed following instructions in the multi-site README. Same cause as above: admin doesn’t know about multi-site.

4. [bogus] Site URL preference actually is correct. The way it’s formulated is confusing too; it seems to be saying that ‘[admin].nul.lt’ is incorrect (it is, but that’s not what’s in the preferences).

5. Very odd – because it does seem to be working on my home page! How does it come to this conclusion? It’s obviously wrong.

Diagnostic info:

• The $path_to_site variable (found as such in the prefs table) is technically correct, but it has resolved (via real_path()?) the symlink I’m using – as shown in the line before. This would probably defeat my whole purpose of using a (version-less) symlink in the first place. Can I just replace it (in the DB) with the symlinked path?
  • The .htaccess shown is what I created based on the diagnostics suggestion. I note hhowever it’s different from the one in the installation folder. Why?

Suggestions

• On the first screen of the installation, the installer asks for the Site URL. At this point, the installer also “knows” where it’s running, and could ask for (and even suggest) the Admin URL. This information could then be used to generate the helpful links in the default home page.
  • Since the Document_root (for admin) and path-to-site are actually correctly deduced, this information could be used to:

deduce this is a multi-site install (ask whether this is the case!)

– look for the correct path of the Files folder

– look for the correct path of index.php

– create .htaccess files in the correct locations (the one in public was diagnosed as missing, but in reading this thread I also saw a reference to a .htaccess file in the Files folder – which is equally missing!)

In other words, if the installer were actually aware of the possibility of a multi-site install, the bogus problems could be avoided, correct links could be generated in the initial home page, and .htaccess files could be copied from their ‘single-site’ locations. I haven’t looked at any code yet, but I suspect this would be fairly easy to implement.

My apologies for such a long post, but I’m hoping my observations can help improve the installer.

(And I’d like to know why my home page isn’t styled – I’d have expected it to, at least with some basic styling)

UPDATE
I managed to find the cause of my ‘unstyled’ homepage: I looked at the page source, found the URL of the stylestheet and loaded that in the browser: it was complaining about ‘headers already sent’ – originating at (the last line of) my config.php file. As it turns out, it had a space after the final ?> … What I cannot trace back is how that got there: the installer shows what the file should contain so you can copy and paste it and place it on the server — was that extra space in the proposed code or did it somehow sneak into it when I was copy-and-pasting? I have no idea…

Anyway, after I removed it, my default home page look one hell of a lot better :D

Cheers,

Last edited by marjoleink (2011-04-26 14:04:22)

Marjolein Katsma ¤ Hacking a theme to learn tags now ¤ nul = nada — lt = very little — why is there even a site there?

#103 2011-04-26 14:15:09

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Hello and welcome Marjolein. Nice to see new users :-)

marjoleink wrote:

2. Worse: Going to my new site’s homepage, I saw a bunch of errors referring to database problems; the partial page below that was completely unstyled (raw HTML).

Nothing to worry about. The updater is run during first log in. The database structure right after installing belongs to orginal (older) TXP 4.x version, which is then updated to newer structure with the updater. This means that ‘till the updater is ran (first log in) the public side will show some notices.

Last edited by Gocom (2011-04-26 14:17:02)

#104 2011-04-26 14:22:17

marjoleink

Gocom wrote:

Hello and welcome Marjolein. Nice to see new users :-)

Thank you! :)

Nothing to worry about. The updater is run during first log in. The database structure right after installing belongs to orginal (older) TXP 4.x version, which is then updated to newer structure with the updater. This means that ‘till the updater is ran (first log in) the public side will show some notices.

Ah. That’s OK then.

It would be nice if the installer somehow gave a hint this would/might happen though! Without that it’s pretty confusing and not such a good first-time experience.

Cheers,

Marjolein Katsma ¤ Hacking a theme to learn tags now ¤ nul = nada — lt = very little — why is there even a site there?

#105 2011-04-26 14:23:09

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

marjoleink wrote:

Since the instructions mentioned symlinks here and there I uploaded the archive to the server and unpacked it there, resulting in a ‘textpattern-4.4.0’ folder. I created a symlink to that called ‘textpattern’ so that in principle a future update could live in its own folder and I’d only have to update the symlink (and copy over the sites directory tree, of course).

Don’t forget to copy the config.php file to the folder containing the latest TXP version.

I think those are “normal”. They disappear after logging in on the admin side.

Web Domain DNS lookup fails: nul.lt ?
What is it using for DNS lookup?? The domain resolves fine for me – and actually (as a result of mentioning the domain on identi.ca) Yahoo’s crawler has found it already, too. I know it may not have fully propagated yet, but I wonder where it gets this result…

TXP simply uses a PHP function to lookup the domain name. Domain propagation could be a problem, but it’s also possible that the server itself cannot perform DNS lookups due to misconfiguration.

Clean URL test failed.
Very odd – because it does seem to be working on my home page! How does it come to this conclusion? It’s obviously wrong.

DNS lookup again. TXP tries to fetch a test URL but fails if it cannot lookup the domain name.

• The .htaccess shown is what I created based on the diagnostics suggestion. I note hhowever it’s different from the one in the installation folder. Why?

I always use the .htaccess that comes with TXP. Usually there’s no need to create one manually.

• On the first screen of the installation, the installer asks for the Site URL. At this point, the installer also “knows” where it’s running, and could ask for (and even suggest) the Admin URL. This information could then be used to generate the helpful links in the default home page.

Good idea.

p. – create .htaccess files in the correct locations (the one in public was diagnosed as missing, but in reading this thread I also saw a reference to a .htaccess file in the Files folder – which is equally missing!)

It is called .htaccess-dist and has to be renamed to .htaccess if have /files inside the document root and want to prevent direct access to the files (which you should if you allow untrusted (read: other) people to upload files).

PS. I’m not responding to the multi-site stuff, since that was added after I left the development team and I’m not familiar with that part of the code.

#106 2011-04-26 14:46:28

merz1
Website

@Marjolein Hi, nice to meet you here. You might know me from identi.ca/m1. That said … welcome to Textpattern :)

As your post really is pretty long & specific I would recommend to copy & paste the content into its own thread (and only leave a link here in the original post). The title could be:

TXP 4.4.0 installation issues: TXP symlink, multi-site install, admin in subdomain

PS: I can’t help because I have an old installation without all those fancy features you try to use. But helpful people and the developer team is around :)

Edit: Argh, as always, having the tab sit open for a couple of minutes and the crowd jumps on the issue(s) like crazy frogs. I still think a new thread would help to avoid cluttering this thread :)

Last edited by merz1 (2011-04-26 14:53:37)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#107 2011-04-26 15:11:46

marjoleink

Thank you for the extensive reply, Ruud!

ruud wrote:

PS. I’m not responding to the multi-site stuff, since that was added after I left the development team and I’m not familiar with that part of the code.

Taking this first — I understand. However quite a few problems I reported actually are a result of the fact the installer and the admin area are not fully ‘aware’ of the multi-site installation. I’ll explain further below.

ruud wrote:

marjoleink wrote:

Don’t forget to copy the config.php file to the folder containing the latest TXP version.

Good point – but what I mentioned is a multi-site refinement: the “sites directory tree” I mention is where the code for each site resides, and it’s located within the main textpattern directory. Each site will have its configuration file within [path]/textpattern/sites/[sitename]/private. Copy over the whole tree to the new install, and it will pick up the configuration files for each of the installed sites

ruud wrote:

marjoleink wrote:

I think those are “normal”. They disappear after logging in on the admin side.

The quotes are telling. :) Those warnings/errors may be normal for an experienced Textpattern user, but it would be nice if the installer gave a clue this was/might be going to happen. I didn’t see any such warning and was quite taken aback after an install that progressed so smoothly.

ruud wrote:

marjoleink wrote:
Web Domain DNS lookup fails: nul.lt ?
What is it using for DNS lookup?? The domain resolves fine for me – and actually (as a result of mentioning the domain on identi.ca) Yahoo’s crawler has found it already, too. I know it may not have fully propagated yet, but I wonder where it gets this result…

TXP simply uses a PHP function to lookup the domain name. Domain propagation could be a problem, but it’s also possible that the server itself cannot perform DNS lookups due to misconfiguration.

marjoleink wrote:
Clean URL test failed.
Very odd – because it does seem to be working on my home page! How does it come to this conclusion? It’s obviously wrong.

DNS lookup again. TXP tries to fetch a test URL but fails if it cannot lookup the domain name.

Thank you, this is very useful information. I’ll have to do some tests whether the problem is indeed on my server’s end. It might well be since the VPS is running its own DNS (though I did not originally set it up – it came with the system).

ruud wrote:

marjoleink wrote:

I always use the .htaccess that comes with TXP. Usually there’s no need to create one manually.

This is a multi-side issue again:

For a single-site setup, there’s a .htaccess file in the textpattern directory, and (as I now know) a .htaccess-dist in the textpattern/files folder. But for a multi-site setup these need to be in the appropriate places inside the textpattern/sites tree. They aren’t there to begin with, and because the installer is not multi-site ‘aware’, it doesn’t copy them from the original location either. So 1) it suggests a .htaccess (which then should be placed in textpattern/sites/[sitename]/public) but which is different from the .htaccess file in textpattern/; and 2) it doesn’t suggest (let alone copy) anything for textpattern/sites/[sitename]/public/files

I’m suggesting it would probably not be hard to make the installer multi-site ‘aware’ and once it is, to copy those files to where they need to be (for the current site) in the sites tree.

(During the installation I was not even aware there’s supposed to be a .htaccess-dist in the Files folder — until I started reading through this thread when I encountered these problems.)

ruud wrote:

marjoleink wrote:

Good idea.

Thank you. :)

I have yet to look at the code, but I have a feeling it would not be too hard to use something like this to make the installer ‘multi-site’ aware. Supplemented with a a few extra rows in the prefs table, of course!

Cheers,

#108 2011-04-26 15:44:32

marjoleink

merz1 wrote:

@Marjolein Hi, nice to meet you here. You might know me from identi.ca/m1. That said … welcome to Textpattern :)

Yes, I remember you – came across you earlier somewhere else around here (themes? plugins? can’t remember) and recognized you immediately as a fellow denter :) I’ve been denting quite a bit lately of my CMS selection and trialling adventures – try my notices tagged with textpattern to get an idea ;)

merz1 wrote:

As your post really is pretty long & specific I would recommend to copy & paste the content into its own thread (and only leave a link here in the original post). The title could be:

TXP 4.4.0 installation issues: TXP symlink, multi-site install, admin in subdomain

Well, it seemed this thread was intended specifically for feedback on the 4.4.0 release, which is why I appended it here. If the forum admins think it should be its own thread, I don’t mind if it gets moved. Hey, I’m new here! :) I’ll go with the flow.

Edit: Argh, as always, having the tab sit open for a couple of minutes and the crowd jumps on the issue(s) like crazy frogs. I still think a new thread would help to avoid cluttering this thread :)

Happens to me too – while I’m typing a reply to a reply another reply comes in… That gives a good feeling. (I left two posts on the Jojo CMS forum two days ago and have yet to see a reaction…)

If I’m going to stick with Textpattern (no real negatives so far!) I’m going to dive in deep and will need to create a plugin (or more) for what I’m planning to do – I’m sure I’ll need help with that at first, and an active and helpful community will then be very important.

Cheers,

Last edited by marjoleink (2011-04-26 15:48:14)

Board footer