Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#769 2011-03-18 17:04:24

igner
Plugin Author

Re: ign_password_protect

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#770 2011-03-28 17:59:15

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

hi igner

hope your daughter is fine. tried to donate, but my credit-card is nuked. maybe it works tomorrow..

i have a feature request, hope you can get your head around that, or at least tell me, if this is somehow possible / in the making:
the “forgot your password?” feature.. where you can hack in your email and get it sended via mail..

#771 2011-03-29 00:40:34

aslsw66
Website

I’ve been thinking about this one as well, as I don’t want to get bombarded by members who have forgotten their passwords.

However, I have found (with my minimal programming skills) that the password hashing has made it hard to reverse-engineer a password from out of the database.

My other option was to have a function which would simply create a new password and then send it to them in an email – much easier solution, and just as neat I think. It would be based on the admin side functionality for creating a new user, which also sends them an email with their password in it.

But haven’t got around to finishing it yet.

#772 2011-03-29 09:23:03

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

yup. password reset would do it as well..

+1

#773 2011-03-31 17:48:38

frickinmuck

Is there any way at all that the user can reset their own password? I don’t need them to be able to have their password sent to them, I just need them to be able to reset it and have the new one sent to them.

I have a client whose users keep forgetting their passwords, and resetting them manually herself is getting burdensome (she has hundreds of users). I’d like to come up with some kind of system for enabling users to get a new password themsleves, without having access to the admin side.

The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else.

#774 2011-03-31 17:55:22

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

frickinmuck wrote:

Is there any way at all that the user can reset their own password? I don’t need them to be able to have their password sent to them, I just need them to be able to reset it and have the new one sent to them.

You can do something like this if you have mem_self_register:

<txp:mem_self_user_edit_form>
<txp:mem_form_text break="" name="password" label="Your password"/>
<txp:mem_form_submit name="submit" label="Update My Account Info" />
</txp:mem_self_user_edit_form>

#775 2011-03-31 18:07:41

frickinmuck

I think you might have misunderstood my request. I need a user who is not signed in and who has forgotten their password to be able to enter their login name or email address and click a button, and have a new password sent to them.

Last edited by frickinmuck (2011-03-31 18:10:26)

The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else.

#776 2011-03-31 18:53:37

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I did! Sorry. Here’s what I have on a site that allows users who aren’t logged in to reset their passwords:

<txp:mem_self_password_reset_form>
<fieldset>
<legend>Reset Your Password</legend>
<p>Enter your username and email below and we'll send you a new password.</p>
<div>
<txp:mem_form_text break="" name="name" label="Username" break="" />
</div>
<div>
<p class="instruct" id="instruct-email">We will send a confirmation message to this address.</p>
<txp:mem_form_email break="" name="email" label="Email" break="" />
</div>
</fieldset>
<txp:mem_form_submit name="submit" label="Submit" />
</txp:mem_self_password_reset_form>

#777 2011-03-31 21:32:08

frickinmuck

Thanks – this is exactly what I’m looking for. Much appreciated.

What I’ve found, though, is that the confirmation email is arriving, but when I click on the link I’m not getting a second email with the password, nor am I getting any kind of error message.

The other concern I have is that the confirmation link takes the user to the textpattern admin login page, which may confuse the user since the page we want them to use to sign in is on the front end of the site. Any ideas on either of these issues? If I edit the URL in the plugin code, will it break the functionality of the confirmation?

#778 2011-04-07 19:14:32

brunodario

frickinmuck wrote:

The other concern I have is that the confirmation link takes the user to the textpattern admin login page, which may confuse the user since the page we want them to use to sign in is on the front end of the site. Any ideas on either of these issues? If I edit the URL in the plugin code, will it break the functionality of the confirmation?

Don´t edit plugin code, use login_url:

Plugin help wrote:

login_url string URL to the login page. Default is Texpattern admin interface.

So <txp:mem_self_password_reset_form form_mail=“reset_password_form” login_url=“your url here”> may do the trick…

#779 2011-04-08 23:36:06

frickinmuck

Ah, thanks for the tip – the attribute is actually “confirm_url”, not “login_url”, and it works perfectly. Much appreciated.

The thing is, I’m still not getting the second email with the password, after clicking the confirmation link. Any ideas? I am using the separate DB option (ign_users), if that may have something to do with the problem.

#780 2011-04-18 16:55:32

skrishi
Website

whether the new version with the new password encryption?

Board footer