Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2011-01-17 16:01:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [mention] Wordpress < > Textpattern

Continuing your list:

6. A commenting plugin would mean that other plugins could more easily be used instead of the core version if somebody wanted to come up with a stonking commenting system to perhaps do what you suggested in (5). That would also keep the posse who claim they can’t live with trackback happy as they could roll their own.

I’ve no idea if such a core-sanctioned commenting idea will come to fruition as there are a large number of factors to consider (for example, some semblance of backwards compatibility, time/desire to code it when it already works1, etc). But as I say, things may fall into place.

1 this is a rather subjective term :-D

P.S. your mention of a forum reminds me that one day I should tidy up and release the refactored TXPhorum code that we worked on for a project. It’s pretty neat.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-01-17 16:03:06)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#26 2011-01-17 16:40:08

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Here’s a good article on the merits of Git vs. SVN, by the author of Pro Git.

As for Windows support, most IDE’s have built in support for Git already, I know my Komodo IDE has a plugin, and honestly, the command line tools are simple.

What I envision with a system like GitHub is that rather than have people submitting patches or working on stuff on the side, which may never see the light of day (news to me that Gocom has refactored commenting), these project contributions can be branches where they can be pulled into the master when and if they prove to be worthwhile core additions.

#27 2011-01-17 16:46:02

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hcgtv wrote:

rather than have people submitting patches or working on stuff on the side… these project contributions can be branches where they can be pulled into the master when and if they prove to be worthwhile core additions.

fwiw, that’s how I’d prefer to work too. Just gotta set it all up on our repo of choice (I’m not doing that bit). Some stuff to iron out first though, hence the delay.

Last edited by Bloke (2011-01-17 16:47:48)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#28 2011-01-17 17:06:36

maverick
Website

Bloke wrote:

6. A commenting plugin would mean that other plugins could more easily be used instead of the core version

That was what I was trying to get to in my overly wordy manner. You were much more articulate than I! :)

I’ve no idea if such a core-sanctioned commenting idea will come to fruition

Understood. Just wanted to add support to the idea.

I should tidy up and release the refactored TXPhorum code that we worked on for a project. It’s pretty neat.

Cool!

#29 2011-01-18 12:49:54

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Bloke wrote:

This sentence: “If want to migrate your whole history, the process is much more involved” scares me and sounds like a lot of work, compared with leaving the existing repos alone and starting a new one somewhere else :-)

The advantage of migrating the whole history is that it makes it easier to track why a certain change was made in the past, which can be helpful in understanding what a particular piece of code is/was for (I’ve used “svn blame” quite a few times for that purpose). One could argue that this could also be done by documenting the code better.

#30 2011-01-18 13:38:19

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

ruud wrote:

One could argue that this could also be done by documenting the code better.

That would be great, more is better even though some documentation exists on a per function basis.

How about a would be programmer’s cheat sheet?

a) Database reference – Textbookmy version.
b) The Textpattern flow, index.php calls foo.php, etc.
c) An explanation of what’s where and what it does (include is the admin area).
d) If we’re doing c. why not add an explantion to each php file – as per ruud’s suggestion.

Yes, if you work with the code long enough you end up figuring things out, but it’s time taken away from productive work if you want to start contributing. I may knock WordPress here and there, but their code is very well documented.

Edit: Wordpress to WordPress dangit.

Last edited by hcgtv (2011-01-18 13:50:54)

#31 2011-01-18 13:45:12

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

We have started to add PHPdoc at a few places and like to expand on that. Patches welcome. txplib_misc.php would be a good candidate to start. At WordPress1, community members wrote loads of PHPdoc patches.

1 capital_P_dangit()!

#32 2011-01-18 13:45:30

tye
Website

I absolutely love the “awful ‘out of the box’ look on current Textpattern installs” – it means you don’t have to de-design a design to re-design it… you can just design from a blank canvas :) – I think I’ll have a go at a template as well though when txp 5 is out.

Personally I don’t think I have come across any piece of OpenSource/Paid software which comes near the the flexibility that Txp offers the non coder (me).

Yes there was a learning curve (isn’t there always) but I can virtually make my pages do anything I want without being forced into a set framework, thanks to the core team and the plugin coders – and I suppose because I understand it more the more I use it.

I generally build sites for other people, so I do agree with the admin area revamp. Not sure if anyone has used this before, but umbraco (asp cms) has some really good features in the admin (and bad) but the Document Types – you specify the tabs, fields you would like on this Document Type, you can see the possibilities on the video – but I have no idea if something similar is possible with txp.

I would love for multiple installs to be a bit more user friendly (but to be honest, I’ve only spent an afternoon looking at this)

But now I’m rambling and off topic all in all wp frustrates me, probably because I don’t know what I am doing, but mostly because I went with txp first and wp can’t actually do what I want it too…

oh yeah and it really annoys me when people call asking for a wp site cos they read about it in Life magazine or something – but I’m hitting a 50% txp conversion rate here :)

[Edit]Textile – I use it sporadically but I can’t get to grips with it fully, but like it (I still have to link to the formatting site everytime I post :)) – the people I build sites for just look at me blankly when I show them – thank god for hak_tinymce – it would be nice to have an option of using a wysiwyg editor on install – but I reckon I’m dreaming :)[/edit]

Last edited by tye (2011-01-18 13:51:07)

#33 2011-01-18 14:08:00

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote:

We have started to add PHPdoc at a few places and like to expand on that. Patches welcome.

Another good reason to move the code repository to GitHub. Patches don’t seem to be flowing much of late.

fn1. capital_P_dangit()!

Corrected, I’m really good at using proper project naming schemes, missed that. Let me use it in a sentence, WordPress uses PHP in their templates, Textpattern doesn’t. There, that’s better ;)

#34 2011-01-18 14:08:29

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

I’m sad panda if you leave SVN. Only good GUI client on Mac is Versions.app and that can only handle SVN as the licenses are what they are. Meh, I will live.

Bloke wrote:

I raised a thread ages ago on possible avenues of approach for the comments system but forgot about it and let it fall by the wayside. Might be outdated now but I think Gocom made a start on some refactorisation of the core comment tags.

Oh that. I believe that I turned the inputs into tags. It was just 9 lines of code or something like that.

#35 2011-01-18 14:21:20

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Gocom wrote:

I’m sad panda if you leave SVN. Only good GUI client on Mac is Versions.app and that can only handle SVN as the licenses are what they are. Meh, I will live.

I’ve just gotten hip to SourceTree. I can’t say I’ve pushed it hard yet, but so far I love it. My Git commit practices have improved immensely just from having such a convenient GUI. Does Mercurial too.

Code is topiary

#36 2011-01-18 14:33:59

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

jsoo wrote:

I’ve just gotten hip to SourceTree. I can’t say I’ve pushed it hard yet, but so far I love it. My Git commit practices have improved immensely just from having such a convenient GUI. Does Mercurial too.

From the screenshots it looks pretty usable :-).

Would love to try that, but it doesn’t seem to be for me. It doesn’t use native widgets the way I would like, and the GUI isn’t really that pretty either; too much stuff going on. It’s really good for those that can take all that, but I can’t, I get distracted easily. Versions.app’s interface is easy to use as everything extra is stripped off.

Last edited by Gocom (2011-01-18 14:38:05)

Board footer