Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2011-01-15 14:49:01

RedFox
Website

[mention] Wordpress < > Textpattern

Go to Quora

Last edited by RedFox (2011-01-15 14:50:38)

#2 2011-01-15 15:47:49

els

Re: [mention] Wordpress < > Textpattern

I never really looked at Quora, so I hadn’t seen this before. I think Destry’s answer is quite to the point, as usual. It’s mostly audience related.
And having read the other two answers, it might be a good idea to remind Destry of what he said (notes #1):

If anyone asks the Quora question, “What’s the difference between Textile and a WYSIWYG editor?” or something similar, I’d be happy to take a stab a that.

Looks like Textile could use a little bit more promotion.

#3 2011-01-15 16:01:46

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Els wrote:

Looks like Textile could use a little bit more promotion.

Especially now that we have v2.2. It’s such an improvement over 2.0. I hope we’re still on track to create a dedicated TLD for Textile.

Code is topiary

#4 2011-01-15 18:12:37

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I agree with Allan’s comment awful ‘out of the box’ look that textpattern has means that unless you can develop your own design regarding the front end. There are a lot of designers here but the community’s focus is focused mostly on functionality and security and not aesthetics. I disagree with him re the back end as I find the Remora theme very pleasing.

On onother subject I think that txp is not so much about market domination but about a controlled stable product. I guess that txp v wp is equivalent to mac OS v windows.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2011-01-15 19:44:04

RedFox
Website

colak wrote:

I guess that txp v wp is equivalent to mac OS v windows.

:))))))))

#6 2011-01-15 22:26:08

maverick
Website

colak wrote:

I agree with Allan’s comment awful ‘out of the box’ look that textpattern has means that unless you can develop your own design regarding the front end.

While I agree it is not a particularly inspired design, I’m not sure how much difference it makes . . . .

Sure – there is the “kick the tires, fall in love with the shiny chrome” car buyers who want to be impressed by the outward appearance. But:

Even if we had the most beautiful design in the world “out of the box”, there would be those who found it lacking – they would want a magazine design instead of a blog design, or a photo blog, or a micro-blog, etc. “out of the box”.

Plus, if really nicely done, many people would use it, and then it would become common, and soon that would be decried as boring, ordinary, uncreative, and/or overused.

And we would be back where we started – in that the out-of-the-box template would be viewed as needing improvement.

Then there are those who want an easy templating system and don’t care what is “out of the box”.

For those who really are looking for an “out of the box”/ready to go blog/website, probably they are going to go with a hosted blog, or at least with the “one-click” installs.

Probably to that extent, creating a textpattern based hosted service with a automated “wizard” that allows you to pick your “look” (ala MySpace, Weebly, Facebook, etc.) is the only way to make inroads with that demographic.

Per Destry’s response in the article referenced above – there was a user (not someone in the leadership) around the forums who posted about a hosted textpattern service they were trying to develop, but AFAIK nothing came of it. I think it may have been before WordPress did opened their hosted blogs.

#7 2011-01-15 23:39:18

maniqui
Website

“And yet, it’s even possible to program people to laugh at the mere mention of the word conspiracy

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#8 2011-01-16 06:06:45

~cXc~
Plugin Author

colak wrote:

I agree with Allan’s comment awful ‘out of the box’ look that textpattern has means that unless you can develop your own design regarding the front end.

I’ve been working pretty hard to make 1 click templates possible and hope to release a plugin this week that addresses that issue directly. I’ve had 1 click templates working for a couple weeks now and been working on additional features to make it a complete “template manager” rather than just another almost complete “mechanism” to use. I’m working on cleaning it up and making sure its as secure as possible at the moment so we can have 1-click front-end templates with Textpattern 4.3.0.

Currently this is how it looks …

Last edited by ~cXc~ (2011-01-16 15:25:28)

#9 2011-01-16 14:32:50

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote:

I guess that txp v wp is equivalent to mac OS v windows.

At this point in time, I think Wordpress is Windows 98 and Textpattern is Debian Woody.

maniqui wrote:

“And yet, it’s even possible to program people to laugh at the mere mention of the word conspiracy

If you follow the Textpattern project long enough, it does make one think that a deal was struck many moons ago by Dean and Matt.

Destry wrote:

All devs since Dean have been committed to keeping Textpattern close to it’s original aims: a lightweight, secure, and flexible publishing system. But that’s all they are interested in doing, making Textpattern a best of breed in it’s class.

There in lies the problem, doing just enough to satisfy a small group of people and alienating the wider audience.

I follow a lot of open source projects and I’ve yet to come across another project that rejects volunteer coders. How odd, makes one think wtf is going on, like who is really controlling the strings around here.

Food for thought, Matt was going to pick Textpattern as the basis for Wordpress.

Cue the X-Files music ;)

#10 2011-01-16 15:12:05

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

hcgtv wrote:

I think Wordpress is Windows 98 and Textpattern is Debian Woody.

Good one :)

I follow a lot of open source projects and I’ve yet to come across another project that rejects volunteer coders. How odd, makes one think wtf is going on, like who is really controlling the strings around here.

Open source does not have to mean open project management. The dev team has no obligation to entertain every idea submitted as code or otherwise — that filtering can and should happen here, in community discussion. Rejecting unwanted or unneeded submissions is an essential part of project leadership.

I know nothing about how the dev team worked at the time, but Crockery must perforce represent a failure of leadership. Txp 5, on the other hand, is really going to happen and it is going to a huge step forward. And the reason is Robert’s solid, quiet leadership, and an active dev team.

Wordpress: a triumph of marketing over software development. Yes, Txp has tended to the opposite extreme. But Txp 5 is going to really open up Txp’s marketing potential, as are the new versions of the Docs wiki and the soon-to-be-released .org.

Code is topiary

#11 2011-01-16 16:02:45

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

jsoo wrote:

Txp 5, on the other hand, is really going to happen and it is going to a huge step forward.

Jeff, when I see a branch on SVN, something that I can touchy feely, I’ll get excited also.

#12 2011-01-16 17:04:35

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Yes, I know I’ve just made a prediction about vaporware. I trust it will happen both because of the quality of the dev team, and also from hints I’ve picked up that they are currently evaluating the feasibility of migrating to a new code base. A big step, obviously, and a tough migration if Txp is to continue its impeccable tradition of pain-free upgrades.

Code is topiary

Board footer