Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-04-20 19:42:36

ax
Plugin Author

[textile] thead and tbody with textile?

I wonder if textile can be made to create thead and tbody tags? This would be important for me, because I am using tables a lot and formatting would be much easier then. If it is not possible, please enter it as a feature request.

Last edited by ax (2010-04-20 19:43:01)

#2 2010-04-20 22:23:00

uli

Re: [textile] thead and tbody with textile?

ax wrote:

I wonder if textile can be made to create thead …

Yes.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2010-04-20 22:36:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

uli wrote:

Yes

Really? How? Can you give an example please? I’ve been battling with tables this evening and to be able to add <thead> and <tbody> in Textile would have made my life a bit easier vs having to add classes to rows (since <th> is a cell-level element not a row-level element I had to resort to jQuery to do what I wanted).

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2010-04-20 23:17:44

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

It’s not possible. You can add classes to the columns/tables, and use th but you can’t use the table’s container tags. Tables can handle only table/td/th/tr. My suggestion is to use the classes for the formating, but I know that it really isn’t painless job.

Last edited by Gocom (2010-04-20 23:24:01)

#5 2010-04-21 01:06:35

uli

Bloke wrote:

Really? How? Can you give an example please?

Phew! Trying to be helpful while taking a break I actually should’ve taken.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#6 2010-04-21 08:24:22

ax
Plugin Author

Interestingly, Markdown Extra handles this well. I’d like to give up replacing Textile with Markdown Extra, but this table problem has stopped me from doing this so far. Since the grammer for creating tables is somewhat similar with both languages, I would suspect that a few lines of code from Markdown Extra might do the trick? However, the PHP code looks very different indeed to sombody with absolutely no idea about PHP.

#7 2010-04-21 09:49:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ax wrote:

I would suspect that a few lines of code from Markdown Extra might do the trick?

If I understood just 1/10th of how the heck classTextile.php does its stuff I’d be in there and enhancing it like a shot to improve tables and add <dl> support (probably using the wiki syntax of ; and :).

But that code is just…. voodoo magic, man. I think it was written by clever aliens.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#8 2010-04-21 11:51:04

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Bloke wrote:

But that code is just…. voodoo magic, man. I think it was written by clever aliens.

We can do it too, Bloke. We are aliens to aliens, right. Not star creating, floating space-plate clever kind but we have spoon and handsome looks. Now, what if we were green…?

#9 2010-12-26 13:32:08

ax
Plugin Author

thead and tbody working well, but there is some incompatibility with PHP 5.3. I get this warning:

Deprecated: Function split() is deprecated in /srv/www/htdocs/textpattern/lib/classTextile.php on line 617

#10 2010-12-27 01:20:47

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Seems that someone accidently used split() instead of explode() while updating Textile. Tiny little mistake.

Anyhow, ax, if you want to fix the notice on your install, you can replace the split with explode @ line 617 :-)

#11 2010-12-27 18:13:03

ax
Plugin Author

When exploring textile 2.2, I find the documentation being most complete in the source file, but it is difficult to read. In the article tab, textile help is a reference to the sandbox, which is linked to the textile 2.0 site, while a 2.2 sandbox is harder to find. The official textile reference manual again refers to textile 2.0. Any plans for an update of the sandbox and an update of the reference manual to 2.2?

#12 2010-12-27 22:37:18

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ax wrote:

Any plans for an update of the sandbox and an update of the reference manual to 2.2?

We don’t control or own the sandbox or the reference manual — Dean/Alex (zem) does. But we do plan to address this deficiency (supporting info). Anyone else wanting to chime in with ideas or (preferably) assistance in pushing the documentation forward is welcome. Steve (net-carver) is running the development side of things right now.

In the meantime the sitemonks sandbox is the closest you’ll get.

Board footer