Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2010-12-01 09:32:18

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Why was Donald879's post deleted?

Looks like a valid business opportunity to me – we would probably collect a really useful up-to-date list of open proxies ;)

#14 2010-12-01 16:50:50

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

ruud wrote:

I don’t think we should publish/provide IPnrs of visitors to this website, not even for spammers.

So I guess this forum will never participate in Stop Forum Spam or any other type of endeavor to rid the net of scum?

#15 2010-12-01 16:59:07

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

I think this is quite a waste of time. My personal non-scientific guesstimation is that most signups from spammers contain randomized user names and throwaway gmail accounts and come in via a dial-up line or a proxy.

If we’d ban on IP (ranges) we’d soon decouple a noteworthy portion of the Indian subcontinent’s net.

#16 2010-12-01 18:40:54

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote:

If we’d ban on IP (ranges) we’d soon decouple a noteworthy portion of the Indian subcontinent’s net.

Well, I guess if we have to, we have to. Cause if they have no Hope for the Future, because they can’t find Meaningful Labor, I’m not going to show them Reciprocal Affection ;)

Anyway, Aleks wrote to me and it was indeed him that reported back in 2008 about a hack. Using the Wayback machine you can see that Aleks ran Textpattern from April of 2006 till March of 2008, that’s when he switched to Wordpress.

He also posted on this forum about issues with Latvian characters on his Textpattern install and Wayback confirms he indeed was having issues. So Aleks is a victim here by the proxy enabled scum that decided to screw around with our heads.

Great lead in to a story about how secure Textpattern is that they have dig up years old threads.

Board footer