Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-11-29 11:00:36

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

feierabendyogi.de meets WooThemes

I re-launched one of my blog sites using the Headlines theme ported by Stuart, added in some aks_cache magic and now blogging is even more fun :-)

Feierabendyogi.de running on Txp 4.3.0 (multi-site install).

The entire site in is German (sorry, but I don’t have time to actually update one language, leave alone run a multi-site), makes use of csb_piwik and sho_bluff (shameless self-advertising, sorry.) here.

I still need to find a couple of minutes to get the YouTube listing working and figure out how to deal with my slightly-larger-than-expected blogroll. Other than that I am very glad I bought (yes, it is a pro-theme) the theme made by Stuart. Unfortunately my own design skills suck both on- and offline.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated :-)

Last edited by stephan (2010-11-29 15:28:03)

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#2 2010-11-29 14:31:58

maruchan
Website

Re: feierabendyogi.de meets WooThemes

Cool…took me a while to figure out just what it was all about. Guess you run a yoga studio?

Anyway, looks good to me. Thanks for sharing.

I didn’t realize that Stuart was selling themes, either. Very cool!

#3 2010-11-29 14:58:31

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Stephan, maybe you should provide a link to the main home page in your post.

Marc, how would you suggest theme developers get the word out? Seeing as you hadn’t heard about Stuart’s WooThemes.

#4 2010-11-29 15:05:54

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well done Stephan. :)

A suggestion for your rather long blogroll – split your links into categories, have one category of your more important links called to the sidebar widget then create a new section that can be added to the top-nav and call all your links to the new page. They can be split into blocks with titles as well if you have them categorized.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#5 2010-11-29 15:27:21

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

@maruchan
Thanks, but I am “just” a yoga practitioner, not a teacher (and no intentions whatsoever to become one in the near future)

@hcgtv
Thanks, I should indeed :-)

@Stuart
That sounds like a plan – I guess I should be able to squeeze this in sometime this week. Given that the links are already in various categories the dedicated link section sounds like a good way to go (why didn’t I think of this?)

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#6 2010-11-29 16:00:03

maruchan
Website

Marc, how would you suggest theme developers get the word out? Seeing as you hadn’t heard about Stuart’s WooThemes.

Hm, good question. I wondered about this too, since I only found out about another theme developer by monitoring #textpattern on Twitter.

I think a bit more community integration across “official” TXP websites could probably improve the situation radically.

Examples:

Textpattern.org should perhaps give a broader picture of theme resources than its current selection. I would suggest that commercial themes be given their own sidebar or other space. This is commercial promotion but I think it would benefit the entire TXP community (as someone who doesn’t sell any themes and has no plans to). I personally would love to drown in a sea of commercial TXP resources at this point. :-)

On my own PunBB forum I like to use the “Announcements” area to show a noteworthy item or two of community work. This is always done with images rather than text. It takes up a bit of vertical space, but users seem to enjoy it. This could be used for well-done “Let’s see yours then” sites, new project launches (commercial or no), etc.

I would also take more of a show-don’t-tell approach to the “Community Support” section of TextPattern.com. As a skimmer-rather-than-reader (guilty as charged) it always took me several tries to find the link to community forums, extensions, etc. when I was just starting to use TXP.

I would tend to break out the paragraphs and links there into individual sections with images or at least bigger headers like “Discussion Board,” “Manual,” etc.

Anyway, just some ideas…they require additional curation, but I think they could really highlight some of these hidden gems inside the TXP community.

Thanks, but I am “just” a yoga practitioner, not a teacher

Ah, sorry. I saw “My fitness studio” in your Twitter feed (or something like it) and made an assumption. :-)

Last edited by maruchan (2010-11-29 16:01:57)

#7 2010-11-29 16:36:39

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

A bit OT, sorry but…

maruchan wrote:

I think a bit more community integration across “official” TXP websites could probably improve the situation radically.

On the cards. Just a bit slow ‘cos I’m a massive slacker. All I can do is apologise. My band of helper Elves are off gearing up for helping out Santa deliver presents so I’m a bit short staffed :-)

Textpattern.org should perhaps give a broader picture of theme resources than its current selection.

fwiw, txp.org is not going to have any themes on it. It’ll be plugins only when it’s relaunched (or do you mean textgarden.org?)

it always took me several tries to find the link to community forums, extensions

This would be helped with the common masthead that Destry is proposing. I’m going to trial something like that on textpattern.org and get it to integrate directly with the wiki once we can get the code shared in a suitable format. Stuart may bring textgarden.org and textpattern.com alongside if we can make it all fit together. Can’t promise anything but we’ll see how it goes.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2010-11-29 16:39:30

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

maruchan wrote:

Yes, I believe that would help users find the proper resources. Thanks for your insights.

@Stephan,
When I was a moderator on this forum, I used to have to edit many site introduction posts. Mainly they were improper textile links and such, I guess old habits die hard.

Board footer