Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2010-11-26 16:26:33

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Is spam on the forum increasing?

colak wrote:

the latest version of PunBB has an extension which reduces fraudulent registrations dramatically.

Stop Forum Spam is a nice idea, but since it’s a third party solution, you’re at the mercy of their due diligence. If this approach would be handled in-house, at FluxBB, then it may be worthwhile to use.

As for staying with PunBB, I’ll repeat it again, there are no core developers at PunBB. They are creating extensions on top of a flawed 1.3 core that the FluxBB developers abandoned. From what I see at the PunBB forums, they look to be abandoning support as well, handing some fellow named KeyDog control of the forum.

What is FluxBB planning on doing to address spam, nothing. Those of us with some PHP knowledge can harden our forums, but those with no knowledge will leave their forums wide open to bots and human spammers and make us all victims in the process.

I’ve pleaded my case for core shipped anti-spam measures at FluxBB, to no avail. So for the foreseeable future, all shipped FluxBB installs will be vulnerable to bots and spam.

My advice, if you do use PunBB or FluxBB, don’t leave the Powered by line in your footer.

Board footer