Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-10-22 07:01:34

tye
Website

New txp 4.3.0 install

OK – I just installed 4.3.0 to build my new site on – and hopefully help with debugging

but first there were a few things I didn’t understand in the History:

• Feature: Optional alternate URL for static image resources. Defined in constant “ihu”.
  • Feature: /category and /author lists for all content types, with conditionals and pagination
  • Feature: Optional top-level ‘Start’ tab for dashboard plugins

Does anyone mind explaining please?

The other changes look great – File title is a great one.

Is there any reason I shouldn’t go live with a 4.3.0 site?

You already probably know, but the footer of the admin is still says 4.2.0 :)

#2 2010-10-22 09:04:02

trenc
Plugin Author
Website GitHub

Re: New txp 4.3.0 install

• Feature: Optional alternate URL for static image resources. Defined in constant “ihu”.

You can define a alternate resource for images, so that images can be delivered from cookieless domains (another domain, subdomain, CDN, Dropbox etc pp).

• Feature: /category and /author lists for all content types, with conditionals and pagination

I don’t know it exacly, but I think, this will list all types content types like images, articles, files on a site with a specified category or author. You can choose/separate these by conditional comments.
Correct me if I’m wrong!

• Feature: Optional top-level ‘Start’ tab for dashboard plugin

This is interessting for dashboard plugins. So you can have a dashboard after login. See Wordpress!

Is there any reason I shouldn’t go live with a 4.3.0 site?
You already probably know, but the footer of the admin is still says 4.2.0 :)

If you know what you’re doing you can use it. But I’dont recommend that for sites in production modus. This is not the final 4.3.0 release, this is the release candidate, so the footer displays 4.2.0. I think this is indented because of the automagic running of the update-script (See Jeffs posting).

#3 2010-10-23 08:49:52

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

A little further info. The new “Start” tab will appear in front of the “Content” tab but only if you have a plugin installed that uses it otherwise it remains hidden. It will only be displayed straight after login if you have set it up that way in “Preferences”. At the moment it’s name hasn’t been finalised so there is no Language file entry for it and it displays as “tab_start” which doesn’t exactly look the bees-knees but that is one more reason not to use the RC1 on production sites unless, perhaps, it is your own site and you are prepared to put up with minor problems like this.

Although I use SVN versions on thebombsite and Textgarden I certainly wouldn’t use the RC1 on a customer site. Indeed there have already been revisions added since the RC1 release so strictly speaking it is out of date already but that is what releasing “RC” versions is all about. I suspect there is likely to be an “RC2” at some point when the Devs think they have caught everything then an official 4.3.0 release if that goes well otherwise there may be an “RC3” etc.

Last edited by thebombsite (2010-10-23 08:53:30)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#4 2010-10-23 11:09:14

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

thebombsite wrote:

A little further info. The new “Start” tab will appear in front of the “Content” tab but only if you have a plugin installed that uses it otherwise it remains hidden.

That sounds right.

It will only be displayed straight after login if you have set it up that way in “Preferences”.

Hmmm perhaps I’m getting the wrong end of the stick or I might have missed that change to my original patch. Can you point me to the new preference in an RC install — I can’t seem to find it.

If plugins install a menu item under the start tab then I’d have thought that the Start > top-level menu item (or whatever it ends up being called) would show up consistently on every admin-side refresh providing the logged-in user has privs to see it — just like every other tab. However, dashboard plugins can force their own ‘dashboard’ event upon initial login so you certainly can have the dashboard be the first screen your users see when they login, but I’d imagine it would be up to the the plugin author, not core prefs, to determine how their dashboard plugin would decide when to show the dashboard page.

Steve

#5 2010-10-23 16:55:53

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Hi Steve. The preference setting is on the “Preferences/Advanced” tab and is called “Default admin tab”. It is the last but one option in the “Admin” block just above the “Admin-side theme” option.

My current experience on about 10 different installs is that the tab only appears straight after login if the above preference has been set for it to do so. Of course this may have something to do with the plugin I am currently using in the new tab. It was originally designed to sit in “Extensions” (though I don’t think the developer was aware of the new tab at the time) and I modified it to go where I wanted it. Maybe plugins for this tab need to have some extra code to make them appear straight after login and override the preference setting though personally I would prefer my site to open where I want it to and not be dictated by a plugin. It’s one of the innumerable reasons why I left WP behind 6 years ago. ;)

Edit: Actually Steve, just reading through your post again it maybe that I have given a false impression. Provided that there is a plugin using the tab and you have all the correct permissions you will always “see” the tab. What I was referring to was that it did not automatically open up at that tab straight after login unless the preference was set that way.

Last edited by thebombsite (2010-10-23 17:06:37)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#6 2010-10-23 19:56:40

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

thebombsite wrote:

Edit: Actually Steve, just reading through your post again it maybe that I have given a false impression. Provided that there is a plugin using the tab and you have all the correct permissions you will always “see” the tab. What I was referring to was that it did not automatically open up at that tab straight after login unless the preference was set that way.

Ah, yes, that’s it. I thought you meant it was appearing once on first login, never to be seen again.

Maybe plugins for this tab need to have some extra code to make them appear straight after login and override the preference setting though personally I would prefer my site to open where I want it to and not be dictated by a plugin. It’s one of the innumerable reasons why I left WP behind 6 years ago. ;)

Yes, plugins would need a little extra code to force that but I hadn’t thought of this behaviour from your p.o.v; it does kinda make a mockery of that pref if the plugin overrides your choice.

Steve

#7 2010-11-23 17:59:17

makss
Plugin Author
Website

Small bug in default install txp 4.3.0

In page error_default used deprecated attribute n

<txp:css n="default" format="link" />

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#8 2010-11-23 19:18:17

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

makss wrote:

In page error_default used deprecated attribute n

Thanks, already fixed

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer