Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2010-11-10 20:57:41

uli

Re: smd_thumbnail: manage multiple thumbnails of your images

Bloke wrote:

select a profile size from the dropdown (or click an existing thumb)

Ah yes, that makes the difference! And also has a certain logic, which I simply wasn’t aware of. Thanks for the guidance!

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#38 2010-11-10 21:00:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

uli wrote:

And also has a certain logic, which I simply wasn’t aware of. Thanks for the guidance!

No worries, but if it’s not obvious and both you and Peter missed it that means something’s wrong with the design. Is there anything I could do to make it more obvious? I’d hate for people to have to read the help file unless they’re really stuck :-p

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#39 2010-11-10 21:36:16

uli

If it’s possible to do so: Perhaps replace the sentence “Upload thumbnail” with “Replace selected thumbnail”. With smd_thumbnail installed, it’s rather unlikely that all profiles are deactivated. So using “replace selected” instead of “upload” would probably do more good than bad.

Last edited by uli (2010-11-10 21:37:43)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#40 2010-11-10 23:32:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

uli wrote:

Perhaps replace the sentence “Upload thumbnail” with “Replace selected thumbnail”.

Done.

Also in v0.13:

• Added confirmation on Create all
  • Silenced chmod warnings because I’ve no idea why they might occur (cheat! cheat!)
  • Tweaked styles for better cross-theme support

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#41 2010-11-11 00:39:03

zero
Website

All along I hadn’t even considered the ‘Upload thumbnail/Choose file’ line was connected to your plugin. I kind of thought it was independent for use with txp thumbnails. So I never made the connection at all between selecting a size before the ‘Choose file’ button became available. Of course, I hadn’t read that part of the Help ;-\ But I think many more people than me don’t RTFM, so will possibly make the same assumptions. Having read the Help now, it is clear. However, my suggestion is to perhaps put a tooltip on the ‘Choose file’ button when it is inactive that says ‘Select a thumbnail size’? Or alternatively, write a sentence like ‘Select thumb size before replacing thumbnail or uploading new one’ – where ‘Replace selected thumbnail ‘ is?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#42 2010-11-11 00:58:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

zero wrote:

All along I hadn’t even considered the ‘Upload thumbnail/Choose file’ line was connected to your plugin.

Yeah, having it sitting below the thumbs was a gamble. I tried putting it alongside the Create/Delete buttons but it looked weird. Putting it immediately below the buttons (above the thumbs) just got in the way, so for consistency with the Replace image functionality I stuck it below.

I think many more people than me don’t RTFM

:-)

put a tooltip on the ‘Choose file’ button when it is inactive that says ‘Select a thumbnail size’?

Unfortunately I’m using TXP’s built-in function to render the upload form so it’s quite limited in what I can do (heck, even the ‘?’ pophelp doesn’t apply to the function at hand). The only way round it is to write the form out myself which I suppose I should do. I’m just lazy and prefer to use the built-in function where I can. I’ll add this to the list of things to consider.

Or alternatively, write a sentence like ‘Select thumb size before replacing thumbnail or uploading new one’

If I can find some screen space and put it in so it doesn’t destroy the layout I’ll try this too. Thanks for the suggestions.

[ incidentally, the third option which I tried was to make it possible to upload the thumbnail to ‘All sizes’ but that’s just too freakishly difficult since the thumbnail is the thumbnail is the thumbnail, so if I start scaling it to fit the other profiles it’ll get some weird artefacts. ]

#43 2010-11-16 16:25:35

wornout
Website

Can it work with <txp:article_image />?
Like <txp:article_image type=“small” />

Last edited by wornout (2010-11-16 16:27:17)

#44 2010-11-16 16:33:53

uli

wornout wrote:

Like <txp:article_image type=“small” />

You probably mean <txp:article_image thumbnail="1" />

Aren’t you using the 0.13 version?

#45 2010-11-16 16:47:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

wornout wrote:

If you mean can it read the article image directly then no it can’t. But it can be used in two other ways to achieve similar effects:

Method 1: show thumbs from all listed article images

<txp:images>
   <txp:smd_thumbnail type="Big-size" />
</txp:images>

(you can use limit / offset to reduce the number of thumbs displayed)

Method 2: show just the first article image

<txp:smd_thumbnail type="Large" id='<txp:custom_field name="article_image" />' />

That last one’s a cheat :-)

I will think about ways of making it less hacky to get at the article image info and see what I can do.

Last edited by Bloke (2010-11-16 16:47:48)

#46 2010-11-16 17:02:55

wornout
Website

Thanks for the suggestions Stef!
It works perfectly!

#47 2010-11-16 20:25:18

maniqui
Website

Hi Bloke,

what does exactly happen to already existing thumbnails when you activate smd_thumbnails?
I’ve done it and then, existing “standard” thumbnails just “disappeared” from the admin side: not present on the “Images” tab nor when editing a particular image.
If I disable smd_thumbnail, this missing thumbnails come back.

Thankfully, I’m on a situation (early phase of development) where there is just one existing thumbnail, but I wonder how this would be handled if there are already tons of images, each one with its “standard TXP built-in” thumbnail.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#48 2010-11-16 22:53:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

maniqui wrote:

what does exactly happen to already existing thumbnails when you activate smd_thumbnails?

Nothing. They are left exactly as they were the moment you activated the plugin. Unless you check the Sync checkboxes in the control panel. Then, smd_thumbnail mimics any alterations (creation/deletion) that occurs on your default Profile back to the built-in TXP thumbs.

Last edited by Bloke (2010-11-16 22:53:40)

Board footer