Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-11-06 19:56:42

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

How to avoid hovering effects

I know quite a few websites these days still rely on hovering effects (rollover images, highlighted links when mouse-over, etc.). This has become quite a problem for all touch devices that are not really capable of hovering (users touch it or not, but they do not “mouse-over” – heck there is no mouse).

How do you deal with this in your designs? Did you find an alternative for these drop-down menus or other elements that actually do benefit from hovering?

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#2 2010-11-06 20:31:31

maruchan
Website

Re: How to avoid hovering effects

I’ve found a lot that actually work OK on a touchscreen device. Example: The hover menus on Love the Garden actually show up when I tap them on my iTouch.

In fact even the interactive image map I designed works OK, though the hover interface means it’s not immediately obvious to touchscreen owners that it does anything.

I’ve seen other on-hover situations that don’t work well though…maybe it’s a JS or CSS issue.

Beyond that, I’m not aware of too many situations where hover is that crucial.

Last edited by maruchan (2010-11-06 20:43:38)

Board footer