Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-09-29 21:40:17

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

How to remove Tag Builder in 4.3.0 and other tweaks

While testing 4.3.0rc on my home server, I started tweaking the presentation tabs to my liking.

The Tag Builder is something I rarely use, so it was time to move it out of the way.

Stef pointed me in the right direction and I added these lines to the end of my custom admin theme, a copy of Remora.

#tagbuild_links { 
display:none; 
}

With the Tag Builders out of the way, I could widen the Pages and Forms textareas, so I added these lines.

textarea#html {
width: 705px;
height: 510px;
}
textarea#form {
width: 635px;
}

The Style tab’s textarea had already been widened in 4.3.0rc due to the removal of the css editor, but I wanted the Style tab to match up with Pages tab width and height, so I added these lines.

textarea#css {
width: 705px;
}

The above width’s and heights work for me. My laptop’s screen resolution is 1280×800, I use Firefox with open tabs. So with the height at 510px, the Save button sits nicely at the bottom left of the screen.

Now I started bouncing back and forth between tabs, the Save button was on the bottom left of the textareas for the Pages and Style, but the Forms tab had extra fields below the textarea that required me to page down every time I needed to save a form. What to do?

Opened up txp_form.php, and saw what needed to be done. Now this goes farther than just an admin theme how to, but I wanted to see how it would look.

The next casualty was the Forms preview button, another thing I never use. I moved the Save, Form Name and Type to one line under the expanded Forms textarea. Now the 3 tabs matched up, Save was in the same place, mucho happy.

Screenshots:

Page tab: 100 columns by 34 lines
Form tab: 90 columns by 34 lines
Style tab: 100 columns by 34 lines

I could of increased the Forms textarea’s width so it could also have 100 columns of text, but I wanted the textareas to match up between tabs, at least their top left corner position. The forms list on the right has a width of 200px, it could be reduced to allow the textarea to expand and have matching top left corners, but I’m ok with it for now.

Next up, I want to try out different syntax highlighting editors for the textareas, see what’s out there today.

#2 2010-09-30 15:02:47

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: How to remove Tag Builder in 4.3.0 and other tweaks

Bert that is looking good. I was having the same thoughts myself from the same thread but I didn’t think as far as removing the forms preview button. Like you I never use it so do you want to share the code changes to put everything on one line please?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#3 2010-09-30 15:25:59

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:

Bert that is looking good. I was having the same thoughts myself from the same thread but I didn’t think as far as removing the forms preview button. Like you I never use it so do you want to share the code changes to put everything on one line please?

It’s just a few changes to txp_form.php, in function form_edit.

Spent last night looking at syntax highlighting JavaScript tools, I like CodeMirror, users claim it to be faster than EditArea and it has a feature to parse the code and highlight syntax without needing to create an editor, could be useful for front of site code examples. I’m going to try it out today and see how it goes, seeing as we now have wider textareas to code in.

#4 2010-09-30 16:19:57

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Perfect thank you. :)

I did suggest that the wider textareas might be suitable for people who wanted to include some kind of syntax highlighting editor. Don’t really bother with them myself though I do find Mary’s upm_insert_tab plug-in handy. ;)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

Board footer