Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#685 2010-06-04 00:23:59

pfctdayelise
Website

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

truist wrote:

pfctdayelise – the problem is probably with a tag in your search_results form. I’ll bet you’re using something like the TXP tag search_term which won’t work with tru_tags (because it specifically looks for the ‘q’ parameter. Can you paste the contents of your search_results form?

Sure, here it is:

<div class=“search_results”>
<h3 class=“search-res”><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink></h3>
<p><span class=“time”><txp:posted format=”%d %B %Y” /></span></p>
<p class=“entry-summary”><txp:search_result_excerpt /></p>
<p class=“small”><txp:permlink><txp:permlink /></txp:permlink></p>
<hr />
</div>

I use txp:search_term in another form that the search results wrap around this form. maybe search_result_excerpt is bad? In actual search results, the search term is highlighted, so maybe a bit of magic is going on there. what should I use instead?

#686 2010-07-16 11:01:16

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

high

i have a little request regarding the sorting of the tags:

i now have following code:
<txp:tru_tags_if_has_tags>
<txp:tru_tags_from_article texttransform=“capitalize” sort=“count” />
</txp:tru_tags_if_has_tags>

the one problem is, that its not sorting at all, tags are listed alphabetically (i tried both ways, desc & asc, nothing happens)
reading helps: forgot the useoverallcounts=“1” attribute.

PLUS id like to propose another setting: sort=“fixed”, so the plug-in could pull out the tags, as they are inserted in the article..?

of course this would only make sense in the tru_tags_from_article tag

im running txp 4.2 + tru_tags 3.6

thanks in advance and i must say: love the plug-in. google goes nuts, whenever i install it :)

Last edited by jens31 (2010-07-16 11:06:56)

#687 2010-09-04 11:20:42

Clayton

Using version 3.6, I’m having problems with trailing slashes:

<txp:tru_tags_handler linkpath="http://my.com/tag/" linkpathtail="" form="myform" />

In http://my.com/tag no errors are shown and all seems to work as expected. But when I go to http://my.com/tag/anyoldtag, txp sends up an error that linkpath and linkpathtail are unknown attributes.

Note that I am also using tag cloud without any problems:

<txp:tru_tags_cloud showcounts="title" linkpath="http://my.com/tag/" linkpathtail="" />

#688 2010-09-05 07:40:04

merz1
Website

Both attributes are for tru_tags_from_article and not for tru_tags_handler.

The /tag/ sub-directory must be defined via section ‘tag’.

And yes, tru_tags_cloud allows those attributes :)

Edit: Ok, OK, I’ll add a few words :)

• tru_tags_from_article and tru_tags_cloud allow to link to external sources.
  • tru_tags_handler is the txp:tag to handle internal keyword searches. Those search results will be shown (as a list) on the internal section defined for keyword search result pages via tru_tags.
  • To distinguish between ‘show all tags’ and ‘show keyword search results’ the tru_tags_if_tag_search txp:tag is used on the section (eg /tag/) page template reserved for tru_tags.

Last edited by merz1 (2010-09-05 07:54:07)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#689 2010-09-05 13:46:26

Clayton

Thanks Markus! I was missing the if_search on my tag page. It all works fine now :) BTW, tru_tags_handler “will also accept all of the attributes used by tru_tags_cloud” according to rainskit.com. It almost did :)

I now have:

<txp:tru_tags_if_tag_search>
<txp:tru_tags_handler form="myform" />
<txp:tru_tags_cloud showcounts="title" linkpath="http://my.com/tag/" linkpathtail="" />
<txp:else />
</txp:tru_tags_if_tag_search>

#690 2010-09-05 14:05:48

Clayton

I spoke too soon. Now tru_tags_from_article which I have in sidebar on article pages, is not accepting linkpath, linkpathtail or wraptag and break. Very strange. It worked fine before. No error is showing but it just does not strip the tail or wrap the tags.

EDIT: IT WAS ME, DOH! It’s fine.

Last edited by Clayton (2010-09-05 14:12:18)

#691 2010-09-05 21:31:13

truist
Plugin Author
Website

(Markus, as always, thanks for your quick and helpful reply!)

Clayton wrote:

BTW, tru_tags_handler “will also accept all of the attributes used by tru_tags_cloud” according to rainskit.com. It almost did :)

Yes, I realized that you must have tried what you tried because of that line in the documentation. I’m actually not sure (without looking at the code) whether the documentation is wrong or the code is wrong, but obviously not every attribute works as described. I’ll look into it… someday what I have time to focus on tru_tags again. (Just to explain: 6-month old baby, and 2 jobs, so I have very very little time for hobby programming.)

#692 2010-09-06 15:23:57

merz1
Website

Clayton wrote:

BTW, tru_tags_handler “will also accept all of the attributes used by tru_tags_cloud” according to rainskit.com. It almost did :)

Yep, sorry, didn’t remember/see that line. I never used tru_tags_handler that way because to me it makes no sense to link wildly to external sites with internal keywords. In a single article context it makes a lot of sense on the other hand.

I now have:

... <txp:tru_tags_cloud showcounts="title" linkpath="http://my.com/tag/" linkpathtail="" /> ...

Just to make that clear: If my.com is your main site where your Textpattern installation incl. tru_tags is running then you won’t need linkpath="http://my.com/tag/" linkpathtail="" at all. The internal /tag/ links will always refer to your tag search result page as long as ‘tag’ is the section you created as the tru_tags landing page/section.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#693 2010-09-06 16:48:57

Clayton

merz1 wrote:

• Just to make that clear: If my.com is your main site where your Textpattern installation incl. tru_tags is running then you won’t need linkpath="http://my.com/tag/" linkpathtail="" at all. The internal /tag/ links will always refer to your tag search result page as long as ‘tag’ is the section you created as the tru_tags landing page/section.

Markus, I am using this for internal links. I find that the trailing / is always added by default and I want everything on my site to be without trailing slash. I read somewhere that default is without trailing slash but I have not found this in my case. Great plugin, btw, and I would never have found anything wrong if I wasn’t so fussy about trailing slashes. I only learned recently that google treats mysite.com, mysite.com/, www.mysite.com and mysite.com/index.php etc as different sites.

#694 2010-09-06 17:13:11

merz1
Website

OK, a trailing slashes phobia can be accepted :)
But nevertheless parsing the attributes & reducing the slashes is not as green as the core result.

Well, an argument for a trailing slash could be that those search results are lists which offer links to single articles (no trailing slash :) but this might be semantically a little bit over the top aka hair splitting.

I only learned recently that google treats mysite.com, mysite.com/, www.mysite.com and mysite.com/index.php etc as different sites.

Well, well, well … forget about that. Google decides itself which page to list if all those pages are indifferent (aka duplicate content).

#695 2010-09-10 12:22:14

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

dunno, if i said it before, but anyways this plug-in is a hell of a machine and i say it twice: great job!!

i have a minor problem, which i solved, but i had my problems..
i tried to delete a tag. this worked well (i checked the db and couldnt find the “wrong” tags anymore)
but for some reason the tag still appeared in the cloud. clicking on it ended in a 404.
like i said, i even checked the db, but couldnt find the wrong one.
so i ended up editing (deleted and reinserted) the (not so many <10) articles by myself. that helped. but is there any reasonable explaination for that behavior?
maybe because i first installed a redirect (but deleted it as well)?

thanks
jnz

#696 2010-09-12 02:34:31

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Nothing comes to mind. Any chance your browser was just caching the original page? tru_tags just uses the keywords field, so if the tags weren’t present in that field in any articles, it just wouldn’t have any other way to include them in the cloud.

Board footer