Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-11-24 07:46:46

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

PHPXref at 1024px

PHPXref.com was launched on January 7, 2006.

The default template was used and I started adding content. I made a todo entry to change the look but I kept on entering content and opening up more Textpattern sites. That default look kept following me from site to site, I had become good with it and it rendered very quickly.

Well I finally got rid of the todo item, I created a Textpattern page template from Andreas Viklund’s 1024px template. It’s a very light template and it was simple to adapt to Textpattern, at least it was for me at this stage of my txp:tag knowledge.

This is how I went about it:
  • Copied the site and imported the database to my laptop
  • Copied in the 1024px CSS to the default Style
  • Copied in the 1024px HTML to the default Page
  • Started adding tags and tweaking forms
  • Exported out the finished site using mcw_templates
  • FTP’ed up the saved html files to the _templates directory on the server
  • Imported in the html files into the pages, forms and style of the live site using mcw_templates

Now I see Textpattern from the designer’s point of view, it’s more of an empty canvas that you paint on inspiration and sit back to admire.

#2 2006-11-24 18:17:29

maniqui
Website

Re: PHPXref at 1024px

Beautiful site! I love the simplicity of the site and the colors scheme.

One question/observation about all the projects listed there: Do you plan to add more information about any of the project besides the cross reference?
I mean, for example, a shot description, the link to the official project site, etc.

I would like to read more info about some of the learning projects listed there…

Of course, Google is my friend and I can search each name of each project…

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2006-11-24 18:37:33

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

One question/observation about all the projects listed there: Do you plan to add more information about any of the project besides the cross reference?

Yes, I plan on adding a short description of each project when you hover the mouse over the name. Since I use the Textpattern Links description to hold the version number, I want to add more information to the description and use a javascript tool tips script to popup the info.

Wish there were 36 hours to the day and I didn’t need to sleep ;)

#4 2006-12-04 17:25:15

trainboy72

I like it! How long did it take to make? I want to make my own here coming up pretty soon.

#5 2006-12-04 17:49:18

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Hey, glad you like it.

It took me a couple of hours to take the template and adapt it to Textpattern. It’s a very simple template and it was just a matter of copying the tags from the default page and pasting them into the 1024px page.

But of course, I’m still tweaking it here and there. With a new template comes a reordering of how things are displayed, sidebar menus, sections, ads, etc.

#6 2010-07-24 22:10:30

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

With all this heat we’ve been having of late, there’s nothing to do but stay inside.

As I looked around at what to do, updating PHPXref.com came to mind. I’ve always wanted to streamline things a bit, and the first step would be to create a table within the Textpattern installation to hold all the information on the cross referenced projects. Entering the info would be easy with phpMyAdmin but how to display information?

A little bit of investigating and I came across smd_query and of course Stef looking back at me. Loaded up a copy of the site on my newly configured Debian Lenny laptop and started playing around. It didn’t take me long to realize the benefits of stored table data, as opposed to keeping all info in plain text files and spreadsheets.

A week later and I had updated PHPXref with all the info I needed after visiting 475 project sites. Oh how things change in a span of a couple of years, seems like Wordpress domination did a number on the Blog section, 11 of the 26 blogs are now inactive, so much for competition.

Now with all the data in a table, the next step is to dig into Perl and make changes to the cross reference process, do away with text based config files and read tabular data. This should make updating the projects to current releases much simpler.

A note about how secure I feel about Textpattern: since script kiddies don’t really make sure that a certain project is running on a site, they unleash their scripts at any and all sites that even mention said vulnerable project. Case in point, e107 has a current vulnerability in contact.php and my logs are filling up with access to this nonexistent file. That’s just one example of the hundreds of exploits aimed at PHPXref.com on a daily basis, would make a nice page showing the last 30 days of exploits sorted by number of attempts, a job for smd_query!

Now to enjoy the evening, just got a batch of 3D glasses in the mail and I’m going to go watch a movie – To infinity … and beyond!

Edit: Fixed one of the Textile links. Thanks Steve.

Last edited by hcgtv (2010-07-25 03:18:23)

#7 2010-07-25 02:36:26

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Bert,

that’s a nice site. Very useful for browsing the Textpattern code alone. Thank you for the link to it.

Last edited by net-carver (2010-07-25 23:30:34)

Steve

#8 2010-08-13 06:10:06

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Still too hot to go out and play :(

Been working on PHPXref this week, getting used to working with Perl, not that far from PHP.

The Textpattern CMS 4.2.0 cross-reference is the one I use as the test project, since it only takes 9 seconds to create. I think I’ve recreated it over 100 times this week, trying different variations of the look and feel of things. Though I wish there was some comments in the files that it could pick up and display, like the Wordpress 3.0.1 Xref.

Notable changes to the Xrefs are:
1. Removed Adsense, there’s too much weight with all the Javascript files Google is sending out these days, slows things down.
2. Upped the fonts a bit, my aging eyes were getting tired of squinting.
3. Prettied up the view of source files, GitHub gave me the inspiration.
4. Using the FamFamFam icons for the files display, really like them.
5. Compressed all the Javascript files with the YUI compressor.
6. Changed the charset to utf-8, was noticing some funky things in some source listings.

I’m not done quite yet, still have more changes to make, but I thought I could throw up a few projects and see what people thought.

#9 2010-09-11 00:43:28

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Spent the last month working on the presentation layer of the Cross References. Learned quite a lot, though I have books galore on computer languages, and I’ve read most of them, it’s only when you dive in to things that you really have those aha moments.

There’s still some things on my to do list, but I wanted to let people have a peek at what I’ve done so far. Since Textpattern is the home to many a designer, I could use some critique as to the choice of colors, fonts, layout, etc. The new cross reference validates to XHTML 1.0 Transitional, the old ones have errors galore that translate to a slower browser experience.

Well, anyway, here’s the Textpattern CrossRef, in the Textpattern folder, wonder where the admin section went to ;)

#10 2010-10-01 19:46:21

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Bert

I find this a really useful site — even just for navigating the Txp source. So much so, that I’m starting to run it on my own, local, projects. I may be back to pick your brains about your config as the output on Phpxref.com seems much cleaner than the default output from the phpxref.pl generator.

Once again — thank you!

Steve

#11 2010-10-02 08:46:22

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Hey Steve, your welcome.

#12 2011-11-30 14:16:21

jakob
Admin
Website

Hi Bert, still find this resource really useful for fathoming out how things work but found myself looking for something today that wasn’t there as the last version tracked was 4.30. Any chance of you updating the textpattern phpxref to the most recent version, or even the svn? Thanks!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer