Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-06-28 17:12:08

designbysue

Is Textpattern correct for my needs?

I need to create a website and want to give the client the ability to change the information on a couple of the pages. They do not need (and should not have) access to change the layout and design, but if it is there I can tell them not to do it. I am looking for a simple solution. I am comfortable working with php programs and adding contributions (such as os Commerce) and database usage etc. Will Textpattern provide the solution I need?

Thanks in advance,
Sue Young
Design by Sue

#2 2010-06-28 17:22:53

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Is Textpattern correct for my needs?

I need to create a website and want to give the client the ability to change the information on a couple of the pages

That’s exactly what textpattern is for and no problem at all. You can use txp as a normal cms and can restrict the site user’s access to the site design and presentation while allowing them to change content such as text, images, files, links, comments etc.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2010-06-28 17:28:28

designbysue

Thanks – So I can design the site to my total liking then add Textpattern so it applies to the text on any page I want to give the client access to? Is the design is completely independent from Textpattern? (or should it be installed before I start designing?)

And is installation pretty easy?

Thanks for your prompt response! I am trying to get a quote done so it is truly apprecited.

Sue

#4 2010-06-28 17:40:49

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

So I can design the site to my total liking then add Textpattern

You can create the site in html/css before you bring it to textpattern. You’ll essentially use textpattern to dynamically generate html/css for you. Personally, I normally start out with a static xhtml/css design that I then convert to textpattern, even though some developers do this in one step

…so it applies to the text on any page I want to give the client access to?

Textpattern has user levels that determine privileges

And is installation pretty easy?

Yes, Doesn’t get much easier for a CMS, the latest version (4.2) has a little quirk: when you login after installation, it seems to fail, but when you logout and login again all is well.

Last edited by JanDW (2010-06-28 17:41:51)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#5 2010-06-28 17:43:36

designbysue

Is the login a problem each time – or just the first

Sue

#6 2010-06-28 18:06:47

janvi

designbysue wrote:

Is the login a problem each time – or just the first

First one only.

Last edited by janvi (2010-06-28 18:07:16)

Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge.

The Future is Open – GNU/Linux

#7 2010-06-28 18:22:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

JanDW wrote:

when you login after installation, it seems to fail, but when you logout and login again all is well.

I think you can also just refresh the browser page instead of logging out/in. Shame that little gremlin crept in, but it’s fixed for 4.3.0.

Last edited by Bloke (2010-06-28 18:23:09)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2010-06-28 18:30:40

designbysue

Thanks – I got my quote done – just hope I estimated my time right (though the first time there is always a learning curve)

Sue

Board footer