Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-06-19 19:42:40

JimJoe
Website

any plugins, add-ons, etc. for a genealogy site ?

I am in the process of starting up, as if I don’t lack sleep as it is, a genealogy site on my ancestors. I have some information from one branch of the family.

I looked over the many; you pay for info, and the you trade info; sites, and they just lack full control over content. Well, they have control, not the user.

What I am looking for are any textpattern items such as plugins and add-ons that will help me deal with family trees. I can handle the text and graphics.

I had thought of using Campaign Cartographer 3 to create my own family trees. I have Family Tree Maker, but you have to have the software to read the files.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks !

( I’ll post the url when my sub-domain gets picked up by DNS, and I have started up the site.)

#2 2010-06-19 21:15:56

JimJoe
Website

Re: any plugins, add-ons, etc. for a genealogy site ?

DNS has caught up.

my ancestors web site

#3 2010-06-20 20:11:11

JimJoe
Website

I looked at various clipart and web page gaphics sites, but they look to be more oriented towards html sites and not blogs.

By using CC3, I can make color border rectangles and join them together with lines. I have found one old photo album, but I’ll likely just scan and upload. Not use a picture gallery plugin-in.

#4 2010-06-20 20:23:28

els

Hi Jim, not that I want to say Textpattern can’t do this, but have you looked at existing genealogy software? Looking at the Wikipedia page I see a couple of open source web-based applications mentioned at the bottom of the page.

You can probably do a lot with Txp using subcategories, custom fields, etcetera, but my guess is that using a specialized app could save you a lot of work.
If you want to add a blog, you can always install Txp in a subdirectory.

Last edited by els (2010-06-20 20:24:17)

#5 2010-06-20 20:34:29

JimJoe
Website

I have the old free version of Family Tree Maker. My problem is I have info on three hundreds years worth of ancestors. That would make a huge genealogy file. i have the web space. But by just making a page with a png of one small group, I can connect them using the Free Style menus from http://www.twinhelix.com/ I thnik that would be managable for visitors.

Campaign Cartographer 3 is mostly used for maps and drawing spaceships, but it would also work fine making connections for a chart.

I’ll check over the software, but I know Family Tree Maker doesn’t handle divorces well. At least it didn’t when I tried it last year.

Board footer