Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2010-06-08 11:04:13

jstubbs
Website

Re: rah_post_versions: Revision control for articles, forms and pages

This looks really incredible – but may I ask what is the major difference (apart from the UI) between this and cnk_versioning? Let me preface the question with the comment that I have never used cnk_versioning…

#14 2010-06-08 16:13:18

maniqui
Website

Hi Jonathan,

let me try to ask your question:

• the “_versioning” chunk on cnk_versioning name is a bit missleading. cnk_versioning doesn’t do any kind of versioning of pages/forms/css. What it does is to enable the possibility of working with css/forms/pages directly as files on the filesystem. Thus, it enables you to use VCS, like SVN, Mercurial, Git, etc, to keep those files versioned.
    cnk_versioning should have been named something like cnk_put_forms_pages_and_css_as_files_in_a_folder_and_let_me_work_with_a_vcs.
    Of course, also, it doesn’t do any kind of article versioning, which rah_post_versions claims to do.
  • on the other hand, rah_post_versions doesn’t enable the possibility of working with a VCS, as it keeps all the versioned stuff directly on the database. And it also has article versioning built-in, which will make it a must-have tool in any TXP toolbelt.

Let’s wait and see if Gocom agrees with the above answer.

I’ll try to give an spin to rah_post_versions and check how it integrates with cnk_versioning. I mean, I will be probably disabling all rah_post_versions magic regarding forms/pages/css, but keep it enabled for articles.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#15 2010-06-08 16:59:16

jpdupont

Thanks Gocom ! Excactly what I need since I switch from ExpressionEngine !!!

#16 2010-06-08 18:34:52

els

maniqui wrote:

which will make it a must-have tool in any TXP toolbelt.

I agree! How do you manage to always create plugins that, once they are there, we can’t imagine ever having done without, Jukka? ;)

#17 2010-06-08 21:55:16

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

maniqui wrote:

Let’s wait and see if Gocom agrees with the above answer.

Absolutely, I do agree everthing you said.

I’ll try to give an spin to rah_post_versions and check how it integrates with cnk_versioning. I mean, I will be probably disabling all rah_post_versions magic regarding forms/pages/css, but keep it enabled for articles.

I should warn you that it won’t see the changes made by cnk_versioning. Rah_post_versions tracks what is send to the server from the TXP’s web-based UI, thus it can’t track changes made by cnk_versioning, or any other tool, that modifies database directly.

Els wrote:

I agree! How do you manage to always create plugins that, once they are there, we can’t imagine ever having done without, Jukka? ;)

Heh, thanks. Actually, I just try to think things that would be helpful to me and others, and how I could package it with GUI and deliver it in away that almost everyone could use.

Maybe you should ask that from Stef, because he has some weird, yet totally awesome, plugins that I would never have thought about.

jpdupont, hablablow, jan, jakob & all wrote:

[…]

Thank you all :-)

#18 2010-06-08 22:08:41

maniqui
Website

I should warn you that it won’t see the changes made by cnk_versioning. Rah_post_versions tracks what is send to the server from the TXP’s web-based UI, thus it can’t track changes made by cnk_versioning, or any other tool, that modifies database directly.

Thanks for clarifying, Gogom. Yes, I was expecting that, and not any kind of Finnish magic that will make rah_post_versions keep track of what cnk_versioning is dumping into the database.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#19 2010-06-08 23:30:44

masa

And there was me always saving backup copies of forms, pages, css etc. with dates appended…

this is very, very, very good, Jukka!!!

If it was up to me, I’d promote you to the dev team!

#20 2010-06-09 00:11:29

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

masa wrote:

And there was me always saving backup copies of forms, pages, css etc. with dates appended…

That’s lot of work. Did (or do) you use smd_where_used to ease the massive job of replacing every reference?

this is very, very, very good, Jukka!!!

If it was up to me, I’d promote you to the dev team!

Means a lot to me, Martin :-)

#21 2010-06-09 01:26:27

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

Hi Gocom,

Just started experimenting with this: I just tried to restore (repost) an old version of an article and got this:

Notice: Undefined index: Status in /public_html/wiki/textpattern/include/txp_article.php  on line 195

Notice: Undefined index: Status in /public_html/wiki/textpattern/include/txp_article.php on line 196

Notice: Undefined index: Status in /public_html/wiki/textpattern/include/txp_article.php on line 197

Notice: Undefined index: sLastMod in /public_html/wiki/textpattern/include/txp_article.php on line 206

Notice: Undefined index: LastModID in /public_html/wiki/textpattern/include/txp_article.php on line 208

Warning: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1 select unix_timestamp(LastMod) as sLastMod from textpattern where ID= in /public_html/wiki/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php on line 85

Any ideas per chance? I would also like to request a feature: would it be possible to show diffs between revisions?

Cheers.

edit: I end up on the write tab, and get this message also:

Article NOT saved. modified the article while you were editing it. If you're sure, press the 'save' button once more.

when I then press save again, this occurs

Notice: Undefined index: Status in /public_html/wiki/textpattern/include/txp_article.php  on line 195

Notice: Undefined index: Status in /public_html/wiki/textpattern/include/txp_article.php on line 196

Notice: Undefined index: Status in /public_html/wiki/textpattern/include/txp_article.php on line 197

Notice: Undefined index: sLastMod in /public_html/wiki/textpattern/include/txp_article.php on line 206

Fatal error:

Error: '' is not an integer

assert_int()
textpattern/include/txp_article.php:215 array_map()
textpattern/include/txp_article.php:56 article_save()
textpattern/index.php:141 include()

in /public_html/wiki/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 2225

Last edited by JanDW (2010-06-09 01:35:33)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#22 2010-06-09 02:40:48

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

JanDW wrote:

Any ideas per chance?

Thank you for reporting this, Jan. There were some nasty leftovers from development period. Nasty one line bug. I did release v0.3 that fixes the errors that were caused by an undefined ID. Now you should be able to do the restoring (click repost) and then click the save on the Write panel to save the changes.

The Write panel prompts about the saving, because that is how it treats old forms that are re-submitted. Rah_post_versions submits the exact same form that was sent originally.

I would also like to request a feature: would it be possible to show diffs between revisions

I will look at it :-)

Released version 0.3. Changelog:

• Fixed: now won’t unset ID or Title. Thank you for reporting, Jan.

More info and download

Last edited by Gocom (2010-06-09 02:47:34)

#23 2010-06-09 03:39:49

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

Alright Jukka – seems fixed! Thank you.
This plugin is gripping stuff. Happy happy joy joy!

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#24 2010-06-09 05:12:08

Natalya

Jukka, while I do not have to add much of substance to the discussion, I’d like to thank you a ton for building this immensly useful plugin!

Board footer