Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2010-04-26 09:16:36

Siguo

Re: Comments system

1. Not to me. I happen to like it. Why is it so bad to look over what you’re intending to post before submitting it?
—————————————————-

that’s not always right.

the first question we must answer is: if txp is fit only experienced and serious users, like a technical site, personal blog, newspaper site, or it can fit any level users, like a bulletin board, sns, ecommerce shop.

At my situation: I’m planning build interactive site use txp, like bulletin board, multiuser blog, sns, even ecommerce shop, just use txp. my site users will vary from any levels, with a big number, maybe 100000+.

when we MUST consider this situation, the PREVIEW step becomes a very serious thing, and include the textile….

2. I know it may seem I’m constantly railing against you (I’m not, honest!)
——————————————————-
haha, I like people to rail against me, that make me think deep. :)

Last edited by Siguo (2010-04-26 09:40:50)

#26 2010-04-26 09:40:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Siguo wrote:

my site users will vary from any levels

Fair enough, in that case you’ll want a plugin. nhn_livecommentpreview was quite neat (if you can find a copy) because it previewed as you typed and therefore skipped the PREVIEW step. There was also low_discuss that removed the preview. Both those are orphaned and I think 404 :-( But if you ask around, someone else is bound to have a copy. There are probably others — perhaps newer ones that are currently maintained.

There’s also rah_comment_spam which gives you some nice controls over additional anti-spam measures that would mean you could remove the preview step and still be fairly sure that spam would be kept low.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#27 2010-04-26 09:53:09

Siguo

Fair enough, in that case you’ll want a plugin.
——————————-

thanks, Bloke, I’ve written one plugin myself to skip the preview step, and it works well.
I will focus on roles and permission this week, and I will share my thougts here, it’s my pleasure to get your advice and guide。

#28 2010-04-26 11:13:17

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Just a quick comment on Jonathan’s forms.

For the comments_display form I would add <txp:if_comments_disallowed></txp:if_comments_disallowed> tags at the bottom to display a text message.

For the comment_form form I would not use an ordered list as it isn’t a list and would probably entail extra CSS to negate any previous “ordered list” styling. My own preference is to use “p” tags.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#29 2010-04-26 11:48:33

jstubbs
Website

Hi Stuart, thanks for the feedback. There is always room for improvement, and I am pretty sure we all agree that the current comments markup is ready to be withdrawn.

I am not sure about the first point, this will result in a text message being displayed if comments are disallowed which may be a little surprising to most users, especially if the auto-append comments is set to “yes”. In my view its better to add that message only if one wants it to be there.

The second point – think I used an ordered list for screen readers. This is an ongoing debate and this article sums up the concept quite well. I also use p tags, divs or just plain labels and fields.

Last edited by jstubbs (2010-04-26 11:49:12)

#30 2010-04-26 13:02:51

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I also like the forced preview feature for the majority of sites. It’s proven to be an excellent method to prevent spam without moderation or hiding the comment form behind a login.

I agree with benbruce. I thought Txp is a CMS, not a blogging tool… ;)

I appreciate the CMS focus of Textpattern, but I think there’s room for some form of this feature in the CMS core. Instead of looking at a comments system as a vestige of blogging, I see at least one major aspect of commenting that could be valuable to a wider variety of sites: Handling user-submitted content.

The only problem with comments in this regard is that they are tied to a specific data model. If users could configure custom fields for comments as easily as for articles— even using a plugin like glz_custom_fields, and if comments could be *appended to other content-types*— including other comments —I think using TXP to build interactive sites would become exponentially easier.

#31 2010-04-26 13:33:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

johnstephens wrote:

Handling user-submitted content

An interesting proposition. Hadn’t considered that.

I’ve often wondered what would be involved in commenting on other types of data. From a tables standpoint there’s little impediment: unlike the inline custom fields, the txp_discuss table is already a separate entity (yay!) with its own parentid field which could link back to the parent item (article, file, link, image) with the simple addition of a type column to be able to distinguish where the comment was applied. A few sticking points:

1. the comment counts are maintained directly in the textpattern table. It’s perhaps unnecessary but certainly less expensive in terms of rendering time because they don’t need to be calculated on the fly and are only updated in the (comparatively infrequent) comment addition/deletion cycle
  2. the comment tags only apply to articles because there’s still the “you do not have an article tag on this page” whining
  3. there’s no such thing as a content type direct URL (aside from the category lists I added in the recent SVN)
  4. (some of) the comment tags themselves are not actual tags, which complicates things
  5. nesting comments is fairly easy but needs a bit of graft; wet already mentioned a solution somewhere for threaded comments, which may yet appear in TXP (there’s a plugin for it already I think)

Nothing insurmountable. But it’d need some careful thought from minds immeasurably superior to mine.

If users could configure custom fields for comments

Another great idea. So comments aren’t just limited to name/email/url/comment but could be expanded based on the site needs. Again, this is not impossible but at present more technically challenging than the first point (eeeek) :

1. the custom fields need to be decoupled from the article and a ‘comment’ type of CF enabled
  2. they need their own management panel as the Advanced Prefs screen is not the right place
  3. the comment form needs to be (a lot) more customisable than it is now — use of its container springs to mind, which I already highlighted in the OP
  4. should there be fixed things in the discuss table, even if not required for a site (name & email for example)?
  5. the whole issue of ‘remember’ needs to be thought through if you decide not to collect name & email, i.e. how do you determine what constitutes a repeat visit

There’s probably a whole raft of other things I’ve not considered so if anybody has any thoughts on concrete ways to achieve (even some of) this, it’s a veeeery interesting topic. Thanks for putting it forward, John.

Last edited by Bloke (2010-04-26 13:36:54)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#32 2010-04-26 17:09:31

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

Just thought about custom fields – we could move them to separate table, as it’s done for comments, then we could add custom_fields to every content type – article, image, files, links. For their managment there could be tab like current Content Tab

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#33 2010-05-08 11:25:13

laptophobo
Website

I’ve been looking through the forum about Comment Notification—is there a straight-forward way to have a user be notified when a comment is posted (other than the author of the article?) Obviously, if someone comments on an article and no-one bothers to check Comments in the Content panel (because the original author is not checking emails—which is likely) then there would be a serious administrative gaff. I followed the thread located at: http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=25941 but it appeared that the solution has yet to be had.

Anyone?

Living the Location-Independent Life: www.NuNomad.com

#34 2010-09-19 19:10:30

laptophobo
Website

Could someone tell me where the “From” name within the email notification one gets in their email box is generated from after posting a comment?

Within the article where one posts I have “John” as author. However, in the email notification it says that the email is from “Jane.” Very strange.

Last edited by laptophobo (2010-09-19 19:11:57)

Living the Location-Independent Life: www.NuNomad.com

Board footer