Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-04-08 14:45:39

schulze

txp:file_download_size not working after upgrade

Hi all,

I upgraded my textpattern installation from an old 4.0.4 to 4.2.0. Everything is working, except for the txp:file_download_size tag, which does no longer produce any output.

The file_download_link and file_download_name tags, that I used on the same page, are still working fine. During the upgrade, there were no errors. When switching the textpattern site to debugging, I get a few warnings about deprecated tags, but nothing related to file_download_size.

What could I do to debug this issue? Any hints are welcome.

Thanks,
Jan

#2 2010-04-08 15:05:29

rsilletti

Re: txp:file_download_size not working after upgrade

I can’t reproduce this. The form I’m using is set as follows and works well under Ver 4.2.0. I would check the contents of your form first, default forms may have changed since 4.0.4.

<txp:text item="file" />: 
<txp:file_download_link>
<txp:file_download_name /> [<txp:file_download_size format="auto" decimals="2" />]
</txp:file_download_link>

#3 2010-04-08 15:50:04

schulze

I am not using a form for the file download. I mostly use the <txp:file_…> tags manually in articles.

This is an example, how I am using it:

<li>Verteile Systeme: <b>RMI, CORBA und SOAP.</b><br /> 
<txp:file_download_link filename="RMI_CORBA_SOAP.pdf">
    <txp:file_download_name /> 
    [<txp:file_download_size format="auto" decimals="1" />]
</txp:file_download_link>
</li>

And this is the resulting HTML code:

<li>Verteile Systeme: <b><span class="caps">RMI</span>, <span class="caps">CORBA</span> und <span class="caps">SOAP</span>.</b><br />
 <a href="http://jan-schulze.de/file_download/19/RMI_CORBA_SOAP.pdf">RMI_CORBA_SOAP.pdf []</a></li>

Maybe I will have to dig into the textpattern code, to find out, how the filesize is calculated …

#4 2010-04-08 19:32:46

els

Looking at Textbook "auto" is not a valid option for attribute format. What happens if you either remove it or give it another value?

Last edited by els (2010-04-08 19:33:08)

#5 2010-04-08 19:33:18

rsilletti

File size is calculated from the number stored in the database at upload (bytes I believe). In view of the fact that the rest of the information contained in the “$thisfile” array is present, I would expect $thisfile[‘size’], which contains this number, to be available as well – calculation is straightforward from there. The tag arrangement you’ve posted looks correct as far as I can tell too.
You might post a tag trace and see if that sheds any light.

#6 2010-04-08 19:46:00

rsilletti

The default for “format” is now unset, or empty. Using “auto” would be treated by the code as a null or unrecognized value and the code would calculate, best case, internal to the tag automatically. It only returns an empty value if there is no numerical value at all.

#7 2010-04-08 19:54:06

els

Thanks Rick, didn’t realize that. I just checked a site where file downloads are in use and I’m using format="auto" there and it just works… Should have checked before I replied, sorry about that.

#8 2010-04-08 19:58:27

rsilletti

Seems clumsy that “auto” is still in the form. If no file size is returned it looks like “auto” as a present value may be evaluated as true for a format, given that as the case the code would exit from a switch statement as a null value, silently. Very much a valid point to try an active value there.

There are also some comments in file_download_link that describes the point of some housekeeping code that may be a recent addition having to do with whether or not a form is being used. you might try calling a form to see how that behaves as well. I can get the tag arrangement you posted to work fine from an article form, I can’t get this to break the way you’ve described,

Last edited by rsilletti (2010-04-14 19:28:15)

Board footer