Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2010-04-07 22:37:55

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Hi, Just converted site from Wordpress to TXP. Need help on Stuff.

I would leave the caching plugin switched off while you’re developing. As far as I understand it, the plugin caches the contents of complete generated pages so that these can be retrieved directly from the server without txp having to parse the code again. That makes absolutely no sense in a development environment where you are constantly playing with settings and where you want txp to parse the page tags each time so you can see the results of changes.
Caching makes sense once the site goes live and is most effective for pages that don’t change very often.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#26 2010-04-08 12:34:37

SuperMAG

well, thanks i already knew that, but have a doubt that it is not working at all. i mean when ever i do changes to template, forms, style, pages the new content shows. there suppose to be a way to find if it is working or not.

it doesnt even mention stuff in the tag trace.

#27 2010-04-08 13:34:40

jakob
Admin
Website

i mean when ever i do changes to template, forms, style, pages the new content shows.

I’m no expert on the plugin but certainly I would hope that a caching mechanism does not obstruct changed content from showing – that would make updating things a real pain, especially when developing as you would then not be sure of the outcome of changes you make.

well, thanks i already knew that…

Ah, ok. May I then suggest you re-read the plugin notes in detail as well as the linked pages on the technology it uses as they describe how it works. Here’s a relevant excerpt:

After a user requests a page, JPCache will save the result-page in compressed format in the cache-directory. For subsequent requests, JPCache will

• not serve a cached page, if the latest cached file is older than X seconds (default 900)
  • send a 304 header it ETag-headers are set
  • otherwise send the compressed page if gzip is supported
  • or sent the uncompressed page if gzip is not supported
  • delete a cached page, if a comment is posted at that URL

asy_jpcache will also automatically clean the cache when

• comments are edited, deleted, moderated (for this and the following activate this plugin)
  • articles are edited, posted, deleted
  • forms or pages are edited.

asy_jpcache will not cache requests made via POST (like comment previews).
asy_jpcache will not cache file-downloads.

It also includes detailed plugin installation details that are more involved than simply installing the plugin in the back-end.

it doesnt even mention stuff in the tag trace.

I don’t think the plugin actually has any tags to process so that would explain why nothing shows in the tag trace.

there suppose to be a way to find if it is working or not

From the above text: After a user requests a page, JPCache will save the result-page in compressed format in the cache-directory. If you have set it all up correctly and your page content hasn’t changed, it should create a page in the cache (I presume this is the jpcache/cache directory). You can check that easily by looking at your FTP server.

Hope that helps.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#28 2010-04-08 14:37:26

SuperMAG

thanks, i saw the cache directory, there are alot of files in it. so i guess that means its caches.

Thanks alot mate.

Board footer