Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2010-03-19 15:37:36

trailgirl
Website

Re: TXP Tweet: arc_twitter and arc_twitter_intents

I’m getting an error message when posting:

Warning: file_get_contents(http://tinyurl.com/api-create.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.childadvocacy.com%2Fnews%2F7983%2F) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 503 Service Not Available in [....]textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(594) : eval()'d code on line 413

The title of the post gets tweeted okay, but does not add the tinyurl link. This has happened on two posts this morning. I deleted the tweets from Twitter.

Edit: I’m using arc_twitter version 0.2.3

Last edited by trailgirl (2010-03-19 15:38:14)

#50 2010-03-20 18:27:18

trailgirl
Website

arc_twitter started working again this morning. I’m guessing there was a temporary problem with the tinyurl service.

#51 2010-03-20 18:35:06

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

trailgirl wrote:

arc_twitter started working again this morning. I’m guessing there was a temporary problem with the tinyurl service.

That would appear to be the case according to the error you were seeing. I’ve been working on a new release of the plugin today that should prevent this sort of failure happening again (ie if a URL cannot be retrieved then the tweet is not sent). I still have a bit of further testing to do, but the update should be out before the end of the weekend. It will hopefully have a little more functionality in regards to the URLs than before…

#52 2010-03-20 19:17:02

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

And could you please look at being able to allow or disallow replies being displayed? Please?

I find it to be the only thing missing.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#53 2010-03-21 17:04:13

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

OK guys, version 0.2.4 is out now and there’s a number of new things in there to keep you happy. Firstly I’ve tried to rectify the issues trailgirl has been experiencing. If there are difficulties with the Twitter/Tinyurl services a message should now appear in the Twitter update box on the article edit screen (this should help solve future problems, maybe). The following have also been added to the plugin:-

• smd_short_url support added (due to popular demand)
  • Twitter tab can be moved/switched off (from the plugin’s preference page)
  • Deletion of tweets from Twitter tab removes link with Textpattern articles

thebombsite wrote:

And could you please look at being able to allow or disallow replies being displayed? Please?

I find it to be the only thing missing.

Could you just clarify what you are asking for? I’m not sure I completely follow. Are you wanting to be able to show other’s replies to your feed on the site?

#54 2010-03-21 21:06:09

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

No not the feeds. If you use the twitter API instead of your plugin it gives you the option, true or false, to show other peoples responses or “replies” to your tweet. What you might know as “@”. Your plugin doesn’t give that option so instead of being able to show just your own tweets you get all the “@” tweets in there as well. I’m talking about front-of-site display here. Did I explain that OK? I have to say I’m not big on Twitter. Can you tell? Other people are though so I have to deal with it and it would be really nice to use your plugin and have all the options I normally get with the API along with all the additional admin stuff your plugin has. It could be perfect but it isn’t quite there yet. ;)

Last edited by thebombsite (2010-03-21 21:12:51)

Stuart

#55 2010-03-23 18:45:49

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:

No not the feeds. If you use the twitter API instead of your plugin it gives you the option, true or false, to show other peoples responses or “replies” to your tweet. What you might know as “@”. Your plugin doesn’t give that option so instead of being able to show just your own tweets you get all the “@” tweets in there as well. I’m talking about front-of-site display here. Did I explain that OK? I have to say I’m not big on Twitter. Can you tell? Other people are though so I have to deal with it and it would be really nice to use your plugin and have all the options I normally get with the API along with all the additional admin stuff your plugin has. It could be perfect but it isn’t quite there yet. ;)

As far as I am aware at the moment <txp:arc_twitter /> current returns only the user’s timeline which excludes replies (or so I thought). There are a number of methods available in the API in order to retrieve different timelines which I am happy to investigate for inclusion in a future release. Which methods were you thinking of?

I was hoping to be able to start investing some of the development time for this plugin into the public aspects of its features.

#56 2010-03-23 21:03:12

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Sorry Andy. I’m probably not explaining this very well simply because I don’t do Twitter myself but I do have to work on sites that want to display feeds. Let’s see if this helps.

If you go to this twitter page you can see it has lots of tweets on it. If you gradually scroll down you will see a few tweets that start with an “@”. Apparently these are “replies” and the Twitter API allows me to use “true” or “false” to determine whether I want to display these or not. Here’s the code that goes into the head

<script src="<txp:site_url />site-design/js/twitter-1.12.2.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">
/* <![CDATA[ */
getTwitters('twitterOutput', {
  id: 'BurningShedNews',
  count: 6,
  enableLinks: true,
  ignoreReplies: true,
  clearContents: true,
  template: '%text% <a href="http://twitter.com/%user_screen_name%/statuses/%id%/">%time%</a>'
});
/* ]]> */
</script>

You can see the option “ignoreReplies” which can be set to true or false which basically means that if you want to you can filter these replies out. You might ask why someone would want to do that. Well it all depends on the feed that is being displayed. If there are a lot of these replies, they will probably be out of sequence with the main time-line of the basic feed because they are probably talking about something that was initially discussed a day or two or maybe a week ago. When they are removed the feed looks more sequential ie. one subject after another after another… rather than going backwards and forwards all over the place.

That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. ;)

Stuart

#57 2010-03-26 13:16:29

monkeyninja
Plugin Author
Website

Hi Stuart, thanks for the clarification. I believe I understand what you are getting at now. The ability to ignore replies as you want is not actually part of the Twitter API. The JavaScript function you have given above strips out the replies after retrieving the timeline from Twitter. This is certainly something that I can implement into the plugin relatively easily. It will mean needing to retrieve more tweets from Twitter than will be output in order to account for those that will be removed. This is not necessarily a bad thing as the current limit being used does not always appear to work well with the API.

#58 2010-03-26 19:50:46

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Oh it’s part of the javascript is it? Sorry. Didn’t realize that, but if you can work something similar into the plugin that would be great. I can send you the script I’m using if you want to have a look at it.

Stuart

#59 2010-04-01 16:43:43

kevinpotts

@monkeyninja — This plugin is working really well on DeCal on the admin side. My big question: can you introduce an option to allow tweeting of future-dated articles? Basically my site is a giant calendar of forthcoming events, so all posted dates occur in the future. It would be totally awesome to be able to tweet these just like I do for “normal” articles because all of the future-dated content is currently visible on my site.

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#60 2010-04-02 09:34:58

geoff777
Plugin Author
Website

I have an futrure events section too.
I post with the current date so arc_twitter does its stuff, and then I change the date to the correct future date …

Geoff

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

Board footer