Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2010-01-06 13:19:23

hilaryaq
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [contrib] Niche is good, but...

Nooooo! The wordpress community is NOTHING like Textpattern.

When I started off in web design, I tried wordpress, obviously as a beginner I wasn’t very good, anyway I asked a simple ‘how to do something’ question in the forum, which never got answered, and some troll type person said something like ‘anyone can call themselves a web designer these days’, anyway, I got trolled and the administrators never even did anything about it.

Fast forward to Textpattern, I had a problem with the entire web site not showing on Safari/Mac, and I didn’t own one. I had a total stranger from the txp forum spend about 2 hours with me doing screenshots on his mac, posting them, and then we figured out it was a js error in the end..

That is only the tip of the iceberg. The txp community is more down to earth, more helpful, more friendly, AND, you have the benefit of having a web site that isn’t targeted by hackers.

Wordpress web sites get hacked all day every day.

I can’t even explain how much I love Txp, we don’t need to get bigger, or more commercial, what we need is for more quality programmers to develop it. I wish I had the programming skills required, I am attempting to learn how to write plugins, but without being a php programmer it takes me forever! I have done video tutorials for clients on youtube, and I intend to do video tutorials for web designers too with more technical aspects of the cms and how it works..

Anyway, love txp so much, and it won’t go anywhere as long as we all put a little time into developing/promoting/contributing!

…………………
I <3 txp
…………………

#26 2010-01-31 21:18:50

JimJoe
Website

@hilaryaq, that is why I left word press as well. The verbiage directed at me was somewhat different, but the same abuse. I got it due to me calling into question an auto-save function that saved to draft in the amount of time it took me to move my mouse over to click on the Publish button. I felt it was a wasted step. They took umbrage. Ah well. WP was good around 2 years ago, but they ‘tweaked it’ into unusefulness.

As for companies going for blogs… well, my employer seems to adore Sharepoint. I looked over some documentation for it… doesn’t seem all that unusual nor snazzy. Not to mention bloatware.

After Wordpress I tried others. Some of my small sites use Nucleus as the free host I use doesn’t have cgi-bin. My paid site/domain has cgi-bin, so I went with Movable Type. It works well, but I prefer faster than 2 weeks apart responses when I look to modify it to better look like I want it to…

So, a friend at the free host forums suggested I try one of the comparison sites. I wound up here.

#27 2010-03-17 00:40:09

JimJoe
Website

Me as well. I went to the word press forums looking for help, and got abuse. I did away with all 6 of my wp blogs. Went to Nucleus and Movable Type. I left MT due to lack of anything resembling help. I have tried around 7-10 blog/cms setups. i have looked over Joomla, Drupal, Geeklog, Mambo, Xoops, typo3, b2evolution, and a number of others.

Now I’m here.

Textpattern has a better community, better help files, and more variety than any other blog/cms that I have tried over the past 5 years.

I would say Nucleus has good imagination in templates, but I prefer Textpattern.

edit:

Okay, I guess I need to get more sleep. Didn’t realize I had already replied to this.

Good-night.

Last edited by JimJoe (2010-03-17 00:42:03)

Board footer