Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#31 2009-11-24 19:39:57

rsskga
Website

Re: smd_bio : store additional biographical info about your users

Thanks very much, Ruud. I’m a Tori Amos fan, too… I will have to spend some time on your site.

So I simply need to create a different ‘Department’ for each user and in that way their email address will remain hidden? It’s been a while since I used ZCR. That’s easier than I anticipated! I’ll just map a username instead of ‘department’ to the email form and voila!

Thanks again!

Swim Kitten, A Magento Site
When nothing but incredibly revealing dresses and swimwear will do

#32 2009-12-01 06:27:27

kuro
Website

<txp:smd_bio_info items=“photo” label=”“>
<txp:thumbnail id=”{smd_bio_photo}” />
</txp:smd_bio_info>

<txp:smd_bio_info items=“RealName” label=”“ />

i put this in my site, but i cannot see the images. . i’ve try every kind of combination but i failed…

Some recomendations?

#33 2009-12-01 10:01:27

Bloke
Developer
Website

kuro wrote:

i put this in my site, but i cannot see the images.

How are you displaying your bio pages to your visitors? Do you want a list of all authors or are you trying to show the bio on an individual article page? In its default form, smd_bio will only show the info from the author of the current article being viewed. If that author does not have an image uploaded, you won’t see anything.

So, assuming:

1. you have uploaded photos of your author(s) to the Images tab
  2. you have created thumbnails for them
  3. you have set up a bio item of type Image, called ‘photo’ in the Bio Config tab
  4. you have associated an image with the author(s) on the Admin->Users tab

you then need to decide how you are going to display the information. If you put smd_bio_info inside a <txp:article_custom /> tag, or a <txp:article /> tag on a list/landing page then you can get the bio info for each author in turn alongside the other tags in your form/container.

Alternatively you can explicitly specify one or more authors using the author attribute. You could also use author="SMD_PRIVS:2:3" to get the bio info for all Managing Editors and Copy Editors. Does any of that help you?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#34 2009-12-01 18:51:45

kuro
Website

Bloke wrote

you then need to decide how you are going to display the information. If you put smd_bio_info inside a <txp:article_custom /> tag, or a <txp:article /> tag on a list/landing page then you can get the bio info for each author in turn alongside the other tags in your form/container.

let me explain it (that was the first thing i didn’t before):

i wanna show just the image thumbnail for every author in the metadata :
<p class=“autor”>
<txp:smd_bio_info items=“image” label=”“> <txp:image id=”{smd_bio_photo}” />
</txp:smd_bio_info> | <txp:smd_bio_info items=“RealName” label=”“ /> This part is fine! | </p>

i did all the steps for plugin (even i saw the permission for chmod in the folders [tmp and images folder]) . .
Thanks for your quick answer. :D

Last edited by kuro (2009-12-01 18:53:56)

#35 2009-12-25 09:42:42

Siguo

mmm……doesn’t work. :(

I have install and active it, but doesn’t work. it’s the only one plugin.

the extension tab’s url become

……/textpattern/index.php?event=smd_bio

and can’t open the extension tab.

Last edited by Siguo (2009-12-25 09:43:44)

#36 2010-01-15 14:55:21

Rodin

Hello!

Great plugin! Thank you!

Is it possible to make an author to edit his information himself? For example, I have an author with 4th permission privileges and when he enters admin side he can edit only his email and change password. So, is it possible to make him edit his smd_bio fields himself? Which line in your plugin I should change or add ?

Thanks!

#37 2010-01-15 15:04:05

Bloke
Developer
Website

Rodin wrote:

Great plugin! Thank you!

You’re welcome.

is it possible to make him edit his smd_bio fields himself?

Unfortunately no. The edit part of the Admin->Users tab is only available to Publishers and since the plugin adds information to that form I am bound by TXP’s permissions.

However, you may be able to allow people to alter their biographical information by doing it from the front-end web site itself. Using the mem_form / mem_simple_form plugins with ign_password_protect you should be able to build a page that allows someone to ‘log in’ to a special section on the client side and you are then free to allow them to alter smd_bio data themselves. I’ve never tried it so I don’t know if it’ll work but it might do — and I’d love for someone to try it out!

Last edited by Bloke (2010-01-15 15:04:22)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#38 2010-04-03 00:36:28

sereal

Bloke wrote:

1. you have uploaded photos of your author(s) to the Images tab
  2. you have created thumbnails for them
  3. you have set up a bio item of type Image, called ‘photo’ in the Bio Config tab
  4. you have associated an image with the author(s) on the Admin->Users tab

thanks for this great plugin
It took 2 days to figure it out to make it works

I missed the instruction numbered 3 above…:(

Last edited by sereal (2010-04-03 00:37:00)

$(mydocument).notyetready(function() {});
dowebsitesneedtolookexactlythesameineverybrowser ?

#39 2010-04-06 16:51:36

amavai

Hi Forum,

First of all, many thanks for this plugin Stef. It’s working perfectly!

I hope that someone can help me with this question. After trying several time without success, I decided to put it here…

This plugin displays all the authoring information on the article witch is very cool and useful.. But what I need is to use this information in a “landing page” let me show you what I mean: I want to make a link on the author article that can display the article profile in other page.

This is my code on the article:

Posted on <txp:posted /> by
<txp:author link=“1” section=“authors” />

this give me this url: www.mysitename.com/authors/?author=authorname

Of course, I have the page and section authors created but nothings happened.

Hope that is clear ( sorry for my English!) Basically, I want to have this section associated with the “landing page” that is fill with all the information provider by your plugin. This plugin works perfectly on the article page..but how can I make a link between these two pages? Should I replace this code <txp:author link=“1” section=“authors” /> ?

Many thanks in advance!

Amavai

#40 2010-04-06 17:15:12

Bloke
Developer
Website

amavai wrote:

Should I replace this code <txp:author link=“1” section=“authors” /> ?

Probably, yes. From what I can gather the section attribute only links to articles from that section — if you’ve no articles in that section you might see nothing in your list… umm, I think. Never really used that tag so I don’t quite get it. The section attribute mught be a ‘destination’ section for the list instead of putting the list on the hone page. Someone else will be able to advise here.

Either way, to make a list of all articles by the given author I think your <txp:article /> tag on the desognated landing page will read the author name from the URL. If you put your article tag inside a <txp:if_author> conditional and then put smd_bio tags inside your txp:article container, you should be able to display what you want.

P.S. no need to bump a post by deleting the old one and re-submitting it 6 hours later :-)

Board footer