Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#181 2010-01-14 16:29:35

davidsess
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_auto_excerpt

@The Blue Dragon

That was just it. I didn’t quite understand those attributes. Thanks a million!

http://www.patrolmag.com

#182 2010-03-04 02:50:24

laptophobo
Website

Hello. I’m new to Textpattern and RSS feeds (especially the latter). I’m working on a website for the L.A. homeless. Anyway, I’d like to have an on-going news feeds (from other news and service outlets that have the RSS ability)—so it would post on my new website. I think that the rss_auto_excerpt plug-in might be what I’m looking for. I hope.

I understand the basic principle of the RSS feed and plug-in (rss_auto_excerpt). Although I’ve read the plug-in’s web Features and Attributes, I’m still unsure about how to make the whole thing work. What I’m looking for is a step-by-step guide on how to apply this plug-in and how to gather feeds from the sources. (I have the book “Textpattern Solutions” but it is of little help here.)

What I’ve done so far:

1. Downloaded the plug-in and activated it.

2. In this forum post I followed the instructions by “stepney”. I made the form, “new-excerpt” (type: article)
In my template, applied the mark-up (minus the blank spaces).

However, at this point, the section on my page goes blank when viewed. (Everything under this applied tag goes blank.) But when I simply use the mark-up: < txp:output_form form=“rss_feed” / > (minus the spaces) it at least gets to the form. Though the content below it views, there’s nothing in the rss feed area. (I suspect it’s because I’ve yet to point to any particular feeds.)

So, once this formatting issue is fixed, I will need to learn how to gather the RSS feeds and have them view.

Can anyone help me?
THANKS so much for your consideration.

Last edited by laptophobo (2010-03-04 03:20:01)

Living the Location-Independent Life: www.NuNomad.com

#183 2010-03-04 10:40:27

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

laptophobo, You are in the wrong place,
all the plugins that they names start with “rss_” they have nothing to do with RSS.
It’s just a Initials of “Rob Sable” + something. (The name of these plugins author)

What you are searching for is:
smd_xml
or
aks_rss

#184 2010-03-04 11:37:53

merz1
Website

@laptopphobo To add a point to Gils tipps:

There is a plug-in which allows to add single RSS feed items as single articles: asv_tumblelog. The diference is that the RS feed content is stored in the TXP database while other plug-ins only fetch the RSS feed and display the content.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#185 2010-03-05 05:09:19

laptophobo
Website

Merz,

Yes, the later is what I’d like to show. I don’t need for the content to be stored in my database. I’d rather it just fetch the content and show it on my page. That said, is asv_tumblelog still the right choice?

Thanks for your time—all of you!

#186 2010-03-05 11:27:24

merz1
Website

@laptopphobo Check the forum for threads regarding “RSS feed”. I am using the very sturdy SimplePie plug-in. But at the moment the download structure seems broken regarding the TXP plug-in.

Yes, a good alternative is aks_rss which uses an older SimplePie version but that is no problem at all. Check the aks_rss forum thread for details.

The advantage of aks_rss is that it is able to mix multiple RSS feeds while the simple SimplePie plug-in only displays one feed per call.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#187 2010-03-06 02:16:12

laptophobo
Website

Thanks for your reply Merz1, but holy cow this is one complicated plug in.

I downloaded and installed the aks_rss (copied the simplepie.inc to textpattern/lib/ directory) and downloaded the simple pie file to my desktop. Then I looked at the instructions. Honestly, nothing after Installation makes sense. Is there an easy plug in, with understandable instructions, that a laymen such as myself can work with?

Thanks much.

#188 2010-03-06 18:42:58

merz1
Website

[OT] Sorry, see below.

Just use <txp:feed>http://Feed-URL</txp:feed> and you should get the default output. All whistles and bells in Textpattern or plug-ins are always optional so you should always get some default behavior which hopefully makes sense before you start to fine tune the options.

BTW: It definitely makes sense to use the above mentioned aks_rss forum thread to go on with this discussion. Here it is absolutely off topic!

#189 2010-03-07 01:28:21

laptophobo
Website

Thanks for that. Sorry to trouble you again, but I plugged the tag in and got this error message:

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required ‘C:\meinverzeichnis\xampp\xampp\htdocs\example.dev/textpattern/lib/simplepie.inc’ (include_path=’.;C:\meinverzeichnis\xampp\xampp\php\PEAR’) in C:\meinverzeichnis\xampp\xampp\htdocs\example.dev\textpattern\lib\txplib_misc.php(594) : eval()’d code on line 86

As for the aks_rss plugin (which I have installed and activated), how would I configure that with <txp:feed>? (Once I get it working?)

Thanks again.

#190 2010-03-07 02:32:40

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

laptophobo: you should really ask your question in the relevant forum thread

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#191 2010-03-07 03:24:06

laptophobo
Website

Thanks Jan. (Didn’t realize I was in the wrong area.) Anyway, I’ve reposted this question in the relevant thread.

Regards,

#192 2010-04-02 21:53:34

eivl

from time to time when i use this the article listing will hang and i must disable auto_excerpt on that article, i belive there is a char in the article that does that but i havnt been able to identify it. any ideas?

my wife made this article, and it hangs after autoexcerpt reaches word count and adds …, the keep reading link does not show up and the rest of the page stops loading.

http://www.robertpattinson.no/index.php?id=408

Board footer